Almost Baseball Season!

A forum to discuss South Carolina High School Baseball and Softball.
TIM
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Almost Baseball Season!

Post by TIM »

With my son feeding into Midland Valley High in two years, i'll be following the Mustangs baseball program for the next 6 years (after a lifetime of being a Strom Thurmond supporter). He is currently trying out for the C Team as a 12 year old 7th grader. Those big fields and -3 bats are quite a change for some these boys that were playing 200' fences and -10's in rec ball last year! :shock: :lol:

MV's varsity struggled last year due to youth and unfortunately they are really young again this season. 1 senior and 1 junior trying out is what i've been told. Will be tough competing in 4A ball with so much youth.

There is a lot of talent coming up from what i know about the 7th and 8th graders. Just need to keep these boys in program and develop. These 7th graders finished runner up in the DYB Div 1 state tournament last year to Monks Corner (coached by Berekeley Highs Landy Cox). Bats went cold at wrong time and those Berekeley boys smalled balled us to death! I hope they get revenge in the 5A state title game of 2029!! :lol:

Cut's coming up very soon and 1st day of spring sports starts next week. I'm hoping all those trying out, have a good showing and make it.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Re: Almost Baseball Season!

Post by mikey »

TIM wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:14 am
With my son feeding into Midland Valley High in two years, i'll be following the Mustangs baseball program for the next 6 years (after a lifetime of being a Strom Thurmond supporter). He is currently trying out for the C Team as a 12 year old 7th grader. Those big fields and -3 bats are quite a change for some these boys that were playing 200' fences and -10's in rec ball last year! :shock: :lol:

MV's varsity struggled last year due to youth and unfortunately they are really young again this season. 1 senior and 1 junior trying out is what i've been told. Will be tough competing in 4A ball with so much youth.

There is a lot of talent coming up from what i know about the 7th and 8th graders. Just need to keep these boys in program and develop. These 7th graders finished runner up in the DYB Div 1 state tournament last year to Monks Corner (coached by Berekeley Highs Landy Cox). Bats went cold at wrong time and those Berekeley boys smalled balled us to death! I hope they get revenge in the 5A state title game of 2029!! :lol:

Cut's coming up very soon and 1st day of spring sports starts next week. I'm hoping all those trying out, have a good showing and make it.
Good luck to your son Tim..Both my grandsons made the Gaffney Varsity this year..they are Jr’s..I’m ready to get the season started..

TIM
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Post by TIM »

mikey wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:12 am
TIM wrote:

Good luck to your son Tim..Both my grandsons made the Gaffney Varsity this year..they are Jr’s..I’m ready to get the season started..
Thanks Mikey. He made the team and now we are off to fundraising!! Peddling raffle tickets and learning about snapraise. lol. Not a lot of money in baseball and the costs is high--umpires, balls, field maintenance, etc. i get it it. Good luck to your grandboys and the injuns this season! What bats do your grandson's use?

We are scrimmaging this Thursday night against South Aiken's B Team. I'm fairly confident my son will be the starting catcher b/c no one else wants to catch!! :lol: Coach is having to force kids to get back there. My boy is the only one with catchers gear, but he gladly allows other to borrow it so he can get a break! :D

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

TIM wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:31 am
mikey wrote:
TIM wrote:

Thanks Mikey. He made the team and now we are off to fundraising!! Peddling raffle tickets and learning about snapraise. lol. Not a lot of money in baseball and the costs is high--umpires, balls, field maintenance, etc. i get it it. Good luck to your grandboys and the injuns this season! What bats do your grandson's use?

We are scrimmaging this Thursday night against South Aiken's B Team. I'm fairly confident my son will be the starting catcher b/c no one else wants to catch!! :lol: Coach is having to force kids to get back there. My boy is the only one with catchers gear, but he gladly allows other to borrow it so he can get a break! :D
I really don’t what bats they use now..I’ll ask em though this evening..I try to stay out of it and just watch these days..but as former youth coach( and I use the term coach loosely ) is hard. :lol:

I think Dorman must be gloaded this year..2 of them have already received division one offers and committed..one to NC and one to SC..Boiling Springs is always a title contender..I don’t know much about the others in our region..

Catcher is a tough position,but it’s always the most important position..Does the school not have catcher’s gear? The

TIM
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Post by TIM »

mikey wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:06 pm
TIM wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:31 am
mikey wrote:
TIM wrote:

I really don’t what bats they use now..I’ll ask em though this evening..I try to stay out of it and just watch these days..but as former youth coach( and I use the term coach loosely ) is hard. :lol:

I think Dorman must be gloaded this year..2 of them have already received division one offers and committed..one to NC and one to SC..Boiling Springs is always a title contender..I don’t know much about the others in our region..

Catcher is a tough position,but it’s always the most important position..Does the school not have catcher’s gear? The
was just wondering about the bats and what they thought of them. always looking for the latest reviews on the bats! my son uses the demarini voodoo. loves it, but been thinking about the rawlings atlas.

don't think the coaches or schools provide catching gear anymore. all the catchers have their own gear. when i played the coach had a green army bag with 4-5 helmets, a few bats and catchers gear. we all used it!! now everyone has their own equipment...not cheap either! lol

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

TIM wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:51 pm
don't think the coaches or schools provide catching gear anymore. all the catchers have their own gear. when i played the coach had a green army bag with 4-5 helmets, a few bats and catchers gear. we all used it!! now everyone has their own equipment...not cheap either! lol
Still the fastest way to get to the next level...
Catchers!!!

One of, if not the toughest positions in baseball/softball at all levels. Do a good job and no one pays you any attention.... but make one mistake and everyone notices you!

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

TIM
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Post by TIM »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:26 pm
TIM wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:51 pm
Still the fastest way to get to the next level...
Catchers!!!

One of, if not the toughest positions in baseball/softball at all levels. Do a good job and no one pays you any attention.... but make one mistake and everyone notices you!
Agree 100% tough sledding back there but if you can go places if you're good at it. Don't even have to hit well.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

I wish they still used wooden bats like we did..I know they say it’s not financially feasible, but the price of aluminum bats is ridiculous now days..I just hate that ping sound…never did find out what the grandkids kids use..can’t never catch ‘em at home..

TIM
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Post by TIM »

mikey wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:23 am
I wish they still used wooden bats like we did..I know they say it’s not financially feasible, but the price of aluminum bats is ridiculous now days..I just hate that ping sound…never did find out what the grandkids kids use..can’t never catch ‘em at home..
Me too! I love wood bats and wish it they were required from tball and up. Those hot travel ball bats (usssa 1.15) give people false hopes. You have 75lb kids hitting the ball 350' bc of the bounce/trampoline effect. But when they get the bbcor's in their hands, the ball doesn't leave the infield. Bbcor is supposed to perform like a wood bat.

Prices are ridiculous on bats (baseball and softball). Just spent $400 last night on another bat. I have a 6 yr old girl that started playing softball recently, if she sticks with it i'll be buying those $500 ghost bats also.

Good news is the Midland Valley C Team beat the South Aiken B Team 5-2 this week. My son caught 4 innings, pitched 1 inning, went 1-2 at plate with a 2 rbi double, and had 1 walk. Start season next Friday with a tournament, can't wait.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

TIM wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:46 am
mikey wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:23 am
Me too! I love wood bats and wish it they were required from tball and up. Those hot travel ball bats (usssa 1.15) give people false hopes. You have 75lb kids hitting the ball 350' bc of the bounce/trampoline effect. But when they get the bbcor's in their hands, the ball doesn't leave the infield. Bbcor is supposed to perform like a wood bat.

Prices are ridiculous on bats (baseball and softball). Just spent $400 last night on another bat. I have a 6 yr old girl that started playing softball recently, if she sticks with it i'll be buying those $500 ghost bats also.

Good news is the Midland Valley C Team beat the South Aiken B Team 5-2 this week. My son caught 4 innings, pitched 1 inning, went 1-2 at plate with a 2 rbi double, and had 1 walk. Start season next Friday with a tournament, can't wait.
Gaffney is 3-0 so far in the Steve Sanders tournament so far..our pool was at Broome…with us,Broome ,Union and Blacksburg…We go to Woodruff Monday for the Championships..not sure who we play..Grandson got the win against Broome 4IP 1ER 9K 1 Walk…