PLAYOFF BRACKETS, how would you like to see them?

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.

How would you like to see the Football Playoffs?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:42 pm

JUST REGION CHAMPIONS WITH ONE BYE
8%
JUST REGION CHAMPIONS WITH ONE AT LARGE
8%
REGION CHAMPIONS AND RUNNER UPS WITH TWO BYES
No votes
REGION CHAMPIONS AND RUNNER UPS WITH TWO AT LARGE
8%
32 TEAM BRACKET LIKE WE HAVE NOW
42%
24 TEAM BRACKET WITH 8 BYES TO THE 7 REGION CHAMPS AND 1 RUNNER UP
17%
24 TEAM BRACKET WITH 8 BYES TO THE BEST 8 TEAMS
17%

Total votes: 12

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Re: PLAYOFF BRACKETS, how would you like to see them?

Post by mikey »

The 3 classifications do make the most sense..however I would hate to see Gaffney have to drop to the lower 3A division…. :?

Especially this year after that NW beat down :lol: :) :lol: :oops:

Tigerific
Conway Tigers

Post by Tigerific »

mikey wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:23 pm
The 3 classifications do make the most sense..however I would hate to see Gaffney have to drop to the lower 3A division…. :?

Mikey it’s a perception thing. No way the SCHSL will adopt this unless they start out at 5A and move down.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

Tigerific wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:32 pm
mikey wrote:

Mikey it’s a perception thing.
nah..I’m pretty sure it was a ssa whooping.. :lol:

O you meant the SCHSL

Tiger84
Conway Tigers

Post by Tiger84 »

Tigerific wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:32 pm
mikey wrote:

Mikey it’s a perception thing. No way the SCHSL will adopt this unless they start out at 5A and move down.
IF!!! Common sense prevails........the SCHSL would at least take a serious look at it.
It makes more sense than anything they've implemented so far. If it makes them feel better, when they breakdown the brackets they can name them 6A, 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A and 1A Playoff Bracket accordingly. If a number does really mean that much to some.

Tiger84
Conway Tigers

Post by Tiger84 »

And another thing........Does anyone else think it is ridiculous for 5A to base playoff seedings off of just 40% of the season? They really need to rethink this thing! Even 4A playoffs are just based on 50% of the season. Need to find away to get back to 8 team regions and or use a points system again.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Tiger84 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:22 am
And another thing........Does anyone else think it is ridiculous for 5A to base playoff seedings off of just 40% of the season? They really need to rethink this thing! Even 4A playoffs are just based on 50% of the season. Need to find away to get back to 8 team regions and or use a points system again.
You could have 2-8 team that would have HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE throughout the playoffs!!!!
How could that be you ask...

A team could be 2-2 in the Region and win the Region Championship is a REAL POSSIBILITY. IF a Region was so balanced that the home team won every Region game, you would have 5 teams tied at 2-2 and a tiebreaker would be used to determine the Region #1 for the playoffs.

While it is not a real likely possibility, that same team could be 0-6 in their non-region schedule and be 2-8 for the year and if that team was the Region II champion this season, that 2-8 team would have HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE throughout the playoffs!!!!

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

GoBigGreen
Summerville Green Wave

Post by GoBigGreen »

Or you could have a team that goes undefeated in the regular season and has to travel to a team they defeated in the regular season. If Summerville wins out, they will have to travel to likely Sumter or Carolina Forest in round 3(2 teams they have already beaten) and then travel to Dutch Fork in the semis. Yes, I am making a lot of assumptions, but this scenario certainly exists.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

GoBigGreen wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:31 pm
Or you could have a team that goes undefeated in the regular season and has to travel to a team they defeated in the regular season. If Summerville wins out, they will have to travel to likely Sumter or Carolina Forest in round 3(2 teams they have already beaten) and then travel to Dutch Fork in the semis. Yes, I am making a lot of assumptions, but this scenario certainly exists.
All could be "fixed" with a simple statement. If they played during the regular season, use HEAD TO HEAD result to determine home team, if they didn't play then use the pre-determined home team. A lot of folks want a pure seeding based on more than 4 or 5 region games, but personally, I don't seem them bringing back any kind of a point system because most of the coaches are against anything that forces them to schedule tougher teams.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

Tiger84
Conway Tigers

Post by Tiger84 »

Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe there are 201 teams that play football in the SCHSL.
If you divide them into 3 classifications of 67 teams each.
That will make 8 regions in each classification.
Three of which would be 9 teams per region.
The other six would be 8 teams per region.
Play 11 regular season games.
Take the top 3 in each region (24) as automatic qualifiers for the playoffs.
Then pick 8 at large bids, making up 32 playoff teams in each classification.
Divide those 32 into two playoff brackets based on enrollment numbers. Then you have the 16 largest schools and the 16 smaller schools in each classification playing for titles.
You only have 2 options for seeding, it's either predetermined brackets or a points system. Now you can use a head to head clause in there if so desired. Make no difference to me. But only region games count towards seeding. So that leaves options for the other 2 or 3 games left on the schedule.

Alright Reb74.......tear it apart..... :D