Someone explain to me this

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Re: Someone explain to me this

Post by No Fly Zone »

Sparky tried to get the kid that used to be at Emerald to come back because he's in the community.

The programs he's been around have consistent success. EHS fell off the map when he went to LA. Coincidence? The school he coached at in LA won it all after two years. The school in TX where he is the QB coach went from 3-8 to 9-2. The kind of young assistants that the Greenwood schools need.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

No Fly Zone wrote:
StateChampsGHS wrote:Porter was clearly the best candidate for the job but Greenwood didn't want to take that risk because they don't know Porter like that. Meaning....Liner is still highly connected to the community and Porter is not.
This is more important than people want to admit, especially with the current state of Greenwood.

The football program was hurt more by the streets than Dan Pippin.

Chris Liner will live or die with how he recruits in certain areas of the city. You have to get some of those kids to come back or you'll underachieve.

It's going to take a sustained push. That's what Greg Porter can't promise them. He's jumped around and I think that scared some people.
He jumped around in Greenville county, which isn't big on football support. It's no Greenwood. I can't get folks to understand this. Greenville county isn't really the best place for a high school football coach who wants a rewarding career. Greenville High is about the best you can get. It still doesn't compare to the Greenwood job.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

eagle93 wrote:He jumped around in Greenville county, which isn't big on football support. It's no Greenwood. I can't get folks to understand this. Greenville county isn't really the best place for a high school football coach who wants a rewarding career. Greenville High is about the best you can get. It still doesn't compare to the Greenwood job.
I understand what you're saying, but he continues to work in Greenville county. He could've gone to a bunch of other schools in the upstate if he wanted.

The reputation that he jumps from place to place and burns bridges did him no favors in Greenwood. Hudson used that against him. They want continuity in the program and in the community. Not saying Porter wouldn't have given that to them, but history tends to repeat itself.

If he wants out of Greenville, he should put his name in the hat for that Chapman opening.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

i can tell you that Coach Liner had more kids in the football
program middle school thru varsity than 96 ever had.the kids
liked and respected him.he will do all he can to help kids.
BUT,if a kid wants to be a thug he won't play for Liner.
it won't matter who it is .

trapperj61
No Team Affiliation

Post by trapperj61 »

Each job is looking for a specific type of person to fill their position. Greenwood is unique to the fact that they have a distinguished history and they want to get back to their roots. Coach Porter might have a better resume but does he fit the criteria that Greenwood was looking for, I don't know! Maybe Liner fit more of the criteria that they were looking for and that is why he probably got the job. Coach Hudson probably went with who fit their criteria the best. Get behind the new coach not in front of him and hold up the turn around. Just Saying!

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

No Fly Zone wrote:
eagle93 wrote:He jumped around in Greenville county, which isn't big on football support. It's no Greenwood. I can't get folks to understand this. Greenville county isn't really the best place for a high school football coach who wants a rewarding career. Greenville High is about the best you can get. It still doesn't compare to the Greenwood job.
I understand what you're saying, but he continues to work in Greenville county. He could've gone to a bunch of other schools in the upstate if he wanted.

The reputation that he jumps from place to place and burns bridges did him no favors in Greenwood. Hudson used that against him. They want continuity in the program and in the community. Not saying Porter wouldn't have given that to them, but history tends to repeat itself.

If he wants out of Greenville, he should put his name in the hat for that Chapman opening.
I know and talk to this guy. He couldn't go anywhere outside of Greenville county because they wouldn't hire him. None of the traditional football schools he applied for. But one will see his value and pull the trigger eventually I believe. In the meantime, this is an opportunity to strengthen his resume even more.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

And I said traditional football school. Despite the recent success of Chapman it isn't a traditional power yet and it's 3A. Read my words. .... They asked Porter to apply for the job and he did. So why would he apply at Chapman anyways? He doesn't want to be there.

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

Ok, I'll give my two for what it's worth. As a GHS alum, I had a sort of a knee-jerk reaction to Liner getting hired. I was on board with Porter. After thinking it over, I see where they're trying to go as a program. What better way than to hire someone who knows the Greenwood tradition and expectations. Liner can connect with these kids too. He's one of us. He wants to be here. Yes, his track record isn't as impressive as Porters but it is hard to win at Laurens. They don't have what Greenwood has. No disrespect to Laurens. The 34-35 record has people nervous. Sometimes it's more than just numbers on a resume. Liner has his weaknesses as a coach. What coach doesn't? As long as we hire good assistant coaches to help with his weaknesses we'll be fine. Another positive note for liner is whatever he was doing at Laurens the first couple of years wasn't working so he changed some things and they were successful for their standards. This is something Pippin would not do. He stressed improving roster sizes and game attendance. I give my full support to Chris Liner and the Greenwood High School football program. One final note, Gene Cathcart didn't have any state titles before coming to Greenwood and look what happened. Sometimes all you need is someone to give you a chance. Now I understand Liner is not Cathcart. He'll do things his way and lead his way. But I think we can all be excited that Liner knows what our expectations are and he'll do his very best to get us there. Not just for a paycheck. Greenwood High School and community is in his heart and it's a part of who he is. Go get um coach! Goo Eagles!

uknowit
No Team Affiliation

Post by uknowit »

eagle93 wrote:And I said traditional football school. Despite the recent success of Chapman it isn't a traditional power yet and it's 3A. Read my words. .... They asked Porter to apply for the job and he did. So why would he apply at Chapman anyways? He doesn't want to be there.
Chapman is done. Waste of time to apply.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

uknowit wrote:
eagle93 wrote:And I said traditional football school. Despite the recent success of Chapman it isn't a traditional power yet and it's 3A. Read my words. .... They asked Porter to apply for the job and he did. So why would he apply at Chapman anyways? He doesn't want to be there.
Chapman is done. Waste of time to apply.
Mark Hodge had Chapman rolling. Do they already have someone in mind for the job?