Job Openings

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Damefan
No Team Affiliation

Re: Job Openings

Post by Damefan »

Onion Rings wrote:RHSD3
Only South Pointe has 3 Asst AD. Rock Hill has an AD and a Admin Sec. Northwestern just has a AD listed on the website. What I was told by a coaching friend I called tonight was that one handled Fall sports, one handled winter, and one handle spring which is not a bad idea but he doubted that they get a full stipend each. If you find out something different since you are in Gaffney and closer to the situation let me know. Just curious.

Chuckster
Goose Creek Gators

Post by Chuckster »

DeCav wrote:Again, this site is a unique hub of coaches looking for jobs and jobs maybe looking for coaches. This time of year I'd start pushing this aspect on google.
DeCav, I think we have a couple of coaches on this site posting as "parents" or "fans" - some bad blood being exposed ......
Attachments
GCHS.gif
GCHS.gif (10.2 KiB) Viewed 3039 times

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

not trying to argue but they all have athletic secretaries and had them before the jobs were split too.

I'm sure all of the big 5A schools are set up the same way (meaning, they have AD's making north of 75K, full time athletic secretaries, assistant ad's, and then well very well paid football and basketball coaches). Check on Dorman, Wando, Clover, all the Fort Mill schools

Athletics is/are big business with lots of money to be made and not a high degree of accountability in terms of winning and gate receipts. You can make huge money and not win for years and the checks keep on coming

and those football supplements in the publication you listed are wrong, from what I could see. Assistant varsity football in RH is around 6800 with raises on the way I'm guessing because York and Clover pay a little more than that

money money money money, the schools have it, at least the ones around here do (York County)

Fan4awhile
No Team Affiliation

Post by Fan4awhile »

RHSD 3 has an AD w/ athletic sec., Each school has supplement for 1 asst. AD that can be given to one person or split with how many ever they choose, but its 1 supplement. Onion Rings is right that more $ is spent this way than when FB/AD was combined.
Even before SP was built, Ringer/Wallace had sect and asst. AD. Flip side is that yeah Full time coach and full time AD can focus on respective duties individually.

In_the_know
No Team Affiliation

Post by In_the_know »

FMs AD is also the head b-ball coach.
NFs AD is also the golf coach.
CRs AD is double dipping from NC

ADs who also coach have a conflict of interest. Will they fire themselves if they don’t perform well? IMO ADs should not coach a sport, especially at a 5A/4A school

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

In_the_know wrote:FMs AD is also the head b-ball coach.
NFs AD is also the golf coach.
CRs AD is double dipping from NC

ADs who also coach have a conflict of interest. Will they fire themselves if they don’t perform well? IMO ADs should not coach a sport, especially at a 5A/4A school
Good point

Probably what they were thinking when they split the jobs, but if it means you can only offer your FB coach 60k-70k that will limit who you can hire. You can make that teaching and being an assistant without the headaches, expectations, and responsibilities of being the head coach

might be why they are hard to find

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

In a perfect world, it ought to be a split job. But football is the cash cow for all athletic departments and a program need the best coach they can get. Riverside is an example. Don Frost was football coach and AD. And Riverside was having good success on the football field. Then Don took the Christ Church job. Riverside had a few very qualified applicants. The thebproncipal decided to give the AD job to the girls volleyball coach. Those very qualified guys weren't interested anymore. Now getting bigger and getting dumped into Region 2 5A didnt help anything, but that decision started the downfall of this program which is now in desperate shape

In_the_know
No Team Affiliation

Post by In_the_know »

Not any more desperate than FM. Even though it’s not a hot bed of football 2-18 after two years is pathetic. Get rid of him and the staff and start over. Lure the best you can offer and pray. Even in Coach Susies bad years they still won 3-5 games. Good grief. My sons had two different coaches. One who was over bearing but won some but was let go. Now my other has a nice guy who can’t coach anything and loses. Take your pick. Be careful, you might just get what you wish for. Dang.

tigergirl
Northwestern Trojans

Post by tigergirl »

The only things that makes people happy is a WIN !

upstateguy
No Team Affiliation

Post by upstateguy »

Deputy wrote:In a perfect world, it ought to be a split job. But football is the cash cow for all athletic departments and a program need the best coach they can get. Riverside is an example. Don Frost was football coach and AD. And Riverside was having good success on the football field. Then Don took the Christ Church job. Riverside had a few very qualified applicants. The thebproncipal decided to give the AD job to the girls volleyball coach. Those very qualified guys weren't interested anymore. Now getting bigger and getting dumped into Region 2 5A didnt help anything, but that decision started the downfall of this program which is now in desperate shape
AD supplement in GCSD is only about 10k to start. Not sure what it was a decade ago when Frost was HFC/AD but those two positions combined in GCSD back then would only amount to about $20k. 10 years ago AD's in GCSD were expected to teach a full course load as well. Now AD's in the district don't teach BUT they still only get paid on the teacher salary schedule.

At BEST in GCSD now, lets pretend the HFC and AD position in GCSD are combined. That's $31k and thats only IF you've been doing both jobs for 8 or more years. IF its your first rodeo doing both it's $19k combined. GCSD teacher salary schedule with a Masters degree currently maxes out at $73k. So.....to really make any money doing both HFC and AD in GCSD you'd be looking at a candidate who has been doing both for over a decade, has a masters degree and has been teaching for 30 plus years. That person is making over $100k.

The reality is in GCSD is there are some young AD's who haven't even been in education for a decade. They're being paid right around $50k with a masters degree and $45k w/o a masters degree. Factor in the AD's at Riverside and Mauldin have only been at their jobs for less than 3 years means they're only taking home $10k for being AD.

My point is is that in GCSD combining HFC and AD or HFC and any sport is not a cash cow currently. So dangling that carrot out there may certainly attract a better candidate BUT when Anderson 5 is paying their HFC over 100k just to coach football and not do much else its difficult for any GCSD school to compete financially.

and FWIW Riverside's enrollment has flat lined in the last 5-10 years for the most part.