Gray Collegiate at IMG Academy(FL)

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

Post by SCPrepTalk »

Noble Savage
Spartanburg Vikings

Re: Gray Collegiate at IMG Academy(FL)

Post by Noble Savage »

So I learned today that ENDEAVOR who owns WWE & UFC sold IMG ACADEMY for 1.25 Billion this past June.

It's not relative to the post just did not know It was worth 1.25 billion dollars.

Suppose you had $1-billion. You could spend $5,000 a day for more than 500 years before you would run out of money. Breaking it down even farther, it means you would have to spend over $100,000 every day for the next 25 years in order to spend $1-billion.
1 billion dollars in 100 dollar bills is 10 million individual bills.
Man, There's definitely Money in Sports Education.
My father was Black, my mother was Decker
Believe me my friend, it doesn't get any better
Than rack and pinion reasoning, add a little seasoning
Cook at ninety-eight point six degrees!!

7timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 7timechamps »

So Gray is going to host IMG next year, in the middle of what would be region play—when we don’t even know about realignment?! Makes a lot of sense.
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

Noble Savage wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:24 pm
So I learned today that ENDEAVOR who owns WWE & UFC sold IMG ACADEMY for 1.25 Billion this past June.

Suppose you had $1-billion. You could spend $5,000 a day for more than 500 years before you would run out of money. Breaking it down even farther, it means you would have to spend over $100,000 every day for the next 25 years in order to spend $1-billion.
I’d like to have the challenge of spending it all… :D

Noble Savage
Spartanburg Vikings

Post by Noble Savage »

mikey wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:32 pm
Noble Savage wrote:

I’d like to have the challenge of spending it all… :D
Agreed...
Brewster's Millions taught me well,lol.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

HONEST QUESTION HERE:

A lot of folks always say that they pull for the South Carolina teams any time they play out of state teams... Who you pulling for in this one?

I think Gray would be a MINIMUM of a 30 point underdog and the chances are slim to none and slim is on vacation....

Noble Savage
Spartanburg Vikings

Post by Noble Savage »

7timechamps wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:28 pm
So Gray is going to host IMG next year, in the middle of what would be region play—when we don’t even know about realignment?! Makes a lot of sense.
I remember when region games were spaced thru the season and not all in a row, I actually liked it better. It's basically stops this "we will use these first 5 or 6 games to prepare for region play."

For years Dormans last game would be non region.

I understand the reasoning behind region games being all together but the other way always seemed better as a fan,... Planning the away trips, finding the good restaurants,etc.

I miss that. I miss going D3 and that Steak Out that was right across the street at the light at the end of HWY 5 to play NW & RH. Leaving at Noon to go play RNE just to spend an afternoon in Columbia.
The Dixie drive in at Greenwood. Over night trips to Charleston. ..and in between those there were the games with Gaffney ,Boiling Springs, Dorman, etc.

Now every week I know I'm pretty much near Spartanburg the last 4 or 5 games which is convenient but not nearly as exciting.

Then again, I am so old remember buying 10 hotdogs for a dollar at the end of games at the old reservation so forgive me for strolling down memory lane.

Noble Savage
Spartanburg Vikings

Post by Noble Savage »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:41 pm
HONEST QUESTION HERE:

A lot of folks always say that they pull for the South Carolina teams any time they play out of state teams... Who you pulling for in this one?

I think Gray would be a MINIMUM of a 30 point underdog and the chances are slim to none and slim is on vacation....

I agree.
and personally..I love the idea of a South Carolina team beating IMG....BUT, I don't feel good about this one. I know Spartanburg has been scrimmages with Grey the last cpl of years, so I'll assume there's a good chance they end up on our schedule in the future.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of that either.
I'm too old school, it's gonna take me a while to come around to Private Schools and such.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

Noble Savage wrote:

It's not relative to the post just did not know It was worth 1.25 billion dollars.

Man, There's definitely Money in Sports Education.
The original IMG was an endorsement/player agency that focused on individual sports like golf - Palmer, Nicholas, etc.. and then branched into tennis.... and later team sports.

If you're thinking the institutions/school/campus that is now down in FLA that came along later IMG Academy that was about 1980's, but again it was down in FLA and a primarily a gold/tennis campus.

About the early 2000's, they decided to add other team sports...... most notable football.

It has been sold a couple of times over, but yes it was a business model based off of developing golf/tennis players and then once that player was producing bank on the professional level, IMG would promote and gain revenue for representing that athlete.

Basically, IMG rolled the dice on a handful of kids.... as with say tennis with Andre Augasee (sp?) and Serena Williams to cash in on the back end when they made beaucoup dollars.

The football stuff/sports teams stuff is obviously different since production is based on not 1 single player but a group of players; IMG models themselves as the 'top prep' school nation wide.

I don't know now how much the representation side of IMG is still in effect, but the football prep side was highly based on the ESPN/College Gurus/fan sites high school player recruiting pages --- IMG wanted to have a roster full of 4-5 stars that the big UniSchools wanted. The rest of the team was comprised of recruit-want-a-bes that paid beaucoup tuition..... all as a financed/agency representation rate.

Before everyone goes "the 'IMG was stealing money" from the future Allstars/want-a-bes/never-to-bes..... it no different than the model in MLB that signs minor league guys to deals and banks on them becoming stars and then being under team control ($$$ control) for a set number of years; or those who sign MiLB for nothing and then gamble future gains vs money now by several different agencies that prorate those to future MLB contracts.

In other words, yeah there's money.... but for the most part those kids are gaining something that HS cannot offer financially.

It is model that has been around for a long time, but not with "home town sport". There have been academies for painting, music, singing, academics, etc..... for centuries......

We 'home town' guys are simply still operating off the 19th century mill town model of everyone is born here and will die here, so here is the place to be.

times have changed.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

Noble Savage wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:09 pm
7timechamps wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:28 pm
The Dixie drive in at Greenwood.
I love that place; it was a meet up for old HS buddies when I was on the road and near.

My oldest boy, now big man but then little man, caused the who staff to pause one night.

Family was sitting on the stools together and little man only wanted French fries/typical toddler fare, and I had ordered my Dixie Cheese..... and there were lots of people, long wait for Dixie (3-5 minutes). Little man wanted to sit in Daddy's lap (a little tired, a little bit worried about all the people..)

Food comes and little man is in my lap, and in his typical way too deep voice for a 3 year old, "Daddy, I want a bite of that".... my sandwich.

He proceeds to gobble down my whole burger and then polish off his fry plate..... the whole staff was coming out of the kitchen to watch him eat that sandwich.

One little family tale for the ages.... Courtesy of the Greenwood Dixie.