NW 55 Gwood 7 final

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

NW 55 Gwood 7 final

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

To most Greenwood fans on here this was expected. Not able to compete with the best teams in 4A or the state. In spite of that, this is just embarrassing. Greenwood has never been this bad consistently. Can't blame the coach because the previous coach went through the same thing. No Jimmy's and Joe's. It it was it is.
Last edited by GwoodEagle2k1 on Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Re: NW 45 Gwood 0 Half

Post by EmeraldCityEagle98 »

Man! I've never seen greenwood perform that badly. they don't even have fundamentals down. they fumbled 4 or 5 times in the first half. Only reason the score wasn't worse was because of the running clock and nw putting in the backups. Maybe they need to find a good coach from out of state that doesn't have any greenwood ties. Hiring "greenwood guys" clearly isn't working.

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

EmeraldCityEagle98 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:00 pm
Man! I've never seen greenwood perform that badly. they don't even have fundamentals down. they fumbled 4 or 5 times in the first half. Only reason the score wasn't worse was because of the running clock and nw putting in the backups. Maybe they need to find a good coach from out of state that doesn't have any greenwood ties. Hiring "greenwood guys" clearly isn't working.
It's not the coach's fault in my opinion. Like I said before, No jimmies and Joe's to compete with any of the elite teams.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:03 pm
It's not the coach's fault in my opinion. Like I said before, No jimmies and Joe's to compete with any of the elite teams.
That's the head. There is talent in Greenwood. His job to get them out there. And have to have the right assistant coaches. Good coaches find and develop talent. And finds the right assistants.

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Post by EmeraldCityEagle98 »

eagle93 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:15 pm
GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:03 pm
That's the head. There is talent in Greenwood. His job to get them out there. And have to have the right assistant coaches. Good coaches find and develop talent. And finds the right assistants.
Exactly! Also, do better at developing the players they have. No excuse for all the fumbles. That's just poor fundamentals.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Re: NW 55 Gwood 7 final

Post by No Fly Zone »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:57 pm
Can't blame the coach because the previous coach went through the same thing. No Jimmy's and Joe's. It it was it is.
What if Liner and Pippin are both just ...not good?

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

No Fly Zone wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:15 am
GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Can't blame the coach because the previous coach went through the same thing. No Jimmy's and Joe's. It it was it is.
I'd have to disagree. Here's why

North Augusta wasn't that good when Pippin took over. He turned them into a perennial playoff team. Won some region titles there. Always played Greenwood close. Probably why Greenwood hired him I suppose.

With Liner,

96 people say he got a lot of participation maybe the most they've ever had when he was there. not sure of his win-loss record there. then he took the job at Laurens, beat Greenwood twice to win two region titles there. Everyone knows it's hard to win at Laurens.

The expectations are higher at Greenwood because of Dula winning region almost every year and winning three state championships at Greenwood. Then Cathcart shows up for 5 years. we win region 3 out of the five. and also went to three state championships in a row. he won state in 2012 at Greenwood. Then he bounced for whatever reason that I'm not discussing on here. obviously Greenwood tradition goes back way further than Dula or Cathcart. Those two are the most recent. we also have all those years with Coach Babb and Coach Burkett.

For some reason, both Pippin and Liner started having issues when they came to Greenwood. I don't know the reason. Maybe it was the pressure to win or maybe like I've been saying lack of Jimmy's and Joe's.

Basically my point is both of those coaches had some success at schools that weren't traditional powers at the time. So I don't think it's fair to say both of those individuals are bad coaches. The expectations at Greenwood are just higher. More pressure with less talent than Coach Dula or Coach Cathcart had. It's easy to be considered a good coach when you have a bunch of D1 talent. Not much coaching is required for players that good at the high school level. It's just very difficult to win when you don't have or D1 talent. Especially in today's society with all the transferring.

Also, you can go out and try to get kids to play that may be on the street or just lingering around the school but if they don't want to play you can't make them play. There's not much you can do. You can't beg them to play.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:00 am
No Fly Zone wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:15 am
GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
I'd have to disagree. Here's why

North Augusta wasn't that good when Pippin took over. He turned them into a perennial playoff team. Won some region titles there. Always played Greenwood close. Probably why Greenwood hired him I suppose.

With Liner,

96 people say he got a lot of participation maybe the most they've ever had when he was there. not sure of his win-loss record there. then he took the job at Laurens, beat Greenwood twice to win two region titles there. Everyone knows it's hard to win at Laurens.

The expectations are higher at Greenwood because of Dula winning region almost every year and winning three state championships at Greenwood. Then Cathcart shows up for 5 years. we win region 3 out of the five. and also went to three state championships in a row. he won state in 2012 at Greenwood. Then he bounced for whatever reason that I'm not discussing on here. obviously Greenwood tradition goes back way further than Dula or Cathcart. Those two are the most recent. we also have all those years with Coach Babb and Coach Burkett.

For some reason, both Pippin and Liner started having issues when they came to Greenwood. I don't know the reason. Maybe it was the pressure to win or maybe like I've been saying lack of Jimmy's and Joe's.

Basically my point is both of those coaches had some success at schools that weren't traditional powers at the time. So I don't think it's fair to say both of those individuals are bad coaches. The expectations at Greenwood are just higher. More pressure with less talent than Coach Dula or Coach Cathcart had. It's easy to be considered a good coach when you have a bunch of D1 talent. Not much coaching is required for players that good at the high school level. It's just very difficult to win when you don't have or D1 talent. Especially in today's society with all the transferring.

Also, you can go out and try to get kids to play that may be on the street or just lingering around the school but if they don't want to play you can't make them play. There's not much you can do. You can't beg them to play.
I disagree fully that there isn't D1 talent in Greenwood. Does anyone from Greenwood seriously believe that? Abbeville has a fraction of the population Greenwood has and is successful every year. I understand that it's 2A, but it's one of the smallest schools in 2A and owns the class. Let me surprise you even more. Cherokee county has less people than Greenwood county. For those that don't know, that is the county Gaffney is in. Again, consistently good. That's the type of school Greenwood was once considered as. And Pippin actually did have some D1 guys. For whatever reason he just couldn't find consistency. Can anyone really look at the demographics of Greenwood and say there isn't talent in that place? I know it's not politically correct to discuss that in these sensitive times, but that matters. There are athletes in those more disadvantaged neighborhoods. It takes the right person to go down in there and get them to play. And maybe that's happening and it hasn't shown up in results yet. Who knows.

One thing that has to be admitted. The level of success hasn't really changed on the field between the last administration and this one. The participation is up, but it hasn't changed the results. I'm going to be disowned by some of Greenwood Nation. But perhaps we owe Pippin an apology. He did no worse than what's happening currently. Still getting drummed at the tune of 50+ points by good teams. It's going to take someone special to go in and get this thing on track. In Anderson when the last superintendent came in he said we aren't going to have schools that can't compete at the top in football. They threw resources at both schools and now they are competing. Schools we used to beat and haven't beat lately. Maybe there is a plan. Who knows.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

One change I see Liner can do is get some better assistant coaches. That could be a start! Maybe rehire Addis and Temples back on staff. Also, hire a better offensive coordinator. The current guys can transfer and coach over at Emerald or go back to Laurens. Liner definitely need to evaluate his staff during the off season and scan out who to keep and let go. I know that's a hard job but he not successful with some of the staff members.
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

Greenwood is following the Union county example, if you want a reference. Or more locally Ware Shoals.

It's not the head coach. It's not the assistant coaches. It's not anything in the school.

I've said it before, it is the changes in the community. And Greenweed is not alone with this phenomenon.