South Carolina Mr. Football

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

Re: South Carolina Mr. Football

Post by PeeDeeFootballFan »

Jackiehayes#1 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:13 pm
This is a joke, the kid is good but I never saw the hype behind him..#77 looked way better this year than him especially the game vs Camden when he was blocking air..
I will say this Thompson & his family are really good people and they been though hell a few years ago with that tragedy that happened..
I remember that we had a QB who won 4 state championships and he didn't win this...
Don’t worry, maybe your QB will win it in 2 years. That would be weird. I mean it’s called South Carolina Mr. Football. Agree with you though hard to believe your four time state champ QB didn’t win it with his stats and record. Again, I think last years result made people really not care about this award anymore because it isn’t always the best HS player in SC. Sellers was that by a mile last year but at the time he was committed to Syracuse so he never had a chance.

Hopefully they get some more informed people voting in the future. Most of these local sports guys only know their area if they even know that. I’d argue several don’t know football at all when you watch their replay shows. Would like to see the guys from movin the chains get some input. They cover ball state wide and know the coaches and players.

Either way, Thompson was a great lineman on a run heavy offense from what I know and saw out of Dillon a few games this year. I’d there a lot of hype because of stars and being committed to USC, yeah, but again no way to make this objective and I guess it’s a great story to have an O lineman win it every 30 years or so. Congrats to him.

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

Thompson is regarded in recruiting circles as one of the top offensive tackle prospects in the country for the 2024 class and chose South Carolina over offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida State, Miami, Texas A&M, LSU and Michigan State among others.

Long list of well informed people.

Josiah Thompson accepts Mr. Football SC Award interview, well spoken young man. https://sportstalksc.com/2023/12/09/dil ... -sc-audio/
Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions

PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:51 am
Thompson is regarded in recruiting circles as one of the top offensive tackle prospects in the country for the 2024 class and chose South Carolina over offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida State, Miami, Texas A&M, LSU and Michigan State among others.

Josiah Thompson accepts Mr. Football SC Award interview, well spoken young man. https://sportstalksc.com/2023/12/09/dil ... -sc-audio/
I don’t think anyone is saying anything bad about the kid at all. He is an elite prospect and from what I hear a great young man. I think the issue is that after Sellers didn’t win it last year the award has lost some of its prestige in people’s eyes. He was clearly the best football player in the state and led his team to a state championship, he just wasn’t committed in state.

This year a kid won it who plays a very important position (on a passing team) but his 3A team didn’t even make it to the third round of the playoffs in a run based offense while also having a QB with offers in the SEC. That’s crazy and if you can’t affect the game dramatically at the 3A level in the weakest region in the state then you probably aren’t the best football player in the state. I’m sure they have a plan to develop him at USC but if not then he could end up the way of the Camden DL who won it last year and isn’t on the roster anymore. Great prospect based on his size and speed. Definitely an NFL type prospect, but not the best HS football player in the state. That’s all anyone is saying. If he was, they could have run behind him every play along with the other all state lineman on the team and no one could have stopped them in 3A just based on talent.

The award is about being the best football player and he wasn’t it. But he’s a great prospect for USC and likely a pro if he gains a lot of muscle on that frame. Again great kid from what I hear out of Dillon, Greta prospect, just not the best HS football player in the state. If he was his effect in 3A with the rest of the “talent” on that team wouldn’t have resulted in them out of the playoffs in the second round. That’s just a fact.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:04 pm
1 CAT FAN wrote:

I don’t think anyone is saying anything bad about the kid at all. He is an elite prospect and from what I hear a great young man. I think the issue is that after Sellers didn’t win it last year the award has lost some of its prestige in people’s eyes. He was clearly the best football player in the state and led his team to a state championship, he just wasn’t committed in state.

This year a kid won it who plays a very important position (on a passing team) but his 3A team didn’t even make it to the third round of the playoffs in a run based offense while also having a QB with offers in the SEC. That’s crazy and if you can’t affect the game dramatically at the 3A level in the weakest region in the state then you probably aren’t the best football player in the state. I’m sure they have a plan to develop him at USC but if not then he could end up the way of the Camden DL who won it last year and isn’t on the roster anymore. Great prospect based on his size and speed. Definitely an NFL type prospect, but not the best HS football player in the state. That’s all anyone is saying. If he was, they could have run behind him every play along with the other all state lineman on the team and no one could have stopped them in 3A just based on talent.

The award is about being the best football player and he wasn’t it. But he’s a great prospect for USC and likely a pro if he gains a lot of muscle on that frame. Again great kid from what I hear out of Dillon, Greta prospect, just not the best HS football player in the state. If he was his effect in 3A with the rest of the “talent” on that team wouldn’t have resulted in them out of the playoffs in the second round. That’s just a fact.

Seems as if you and 7 time champ are the only one who has a problem with it… :roll: of course both of you been telling everyone who will listen how wrong they are since you first showed up..being a know it all get old man, it gets old..jmo..

PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

mikey wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:52 pm
PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
1 CAT FAN wrote:

Seems as if you and 7 time champ are the only one who has a problem with it… :roll: of course both of you been telling everyone who will listen how wrong they are since you first showed up..being a know it all get old man, it gets old..jmo..
And you are entitled to your opinion…as am I. I don’t have a problem with the kid winning the award. I think that was clear in my previous post. He just isn’t the best senior high school football player in SC. That’s my opinion…JMO. It’s called discussion and the entire purpose of a forum. Half your post doesn’t even make sense Mikey (hard time respecting any adult male who goes by Mikey).

I have zero idea who you are talking about with regards to 7 time champ. Don’t even care. What I do know is that the award is supposed to be for the best senior HS football player in SC. My opinion is that a left tackle for a 3A team that didn’t make it past the second round of the playoffs probably isn’t the best player in the state. If I’m not mistaken you said that people don’t even know what the award is for…why don’t you enlighten us? What is it for? Again, I don’t really care, it was just an observation. One shared apparently by some fans from Dillon based on the posts I replied to. But Mikey, very funny to call a grown man that, why don’t you tell us what is the award for if it isn’t the best senior football player in the state of SC? Would love for you to school all us “know it alls.”

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

Just some dude/gal that hates Dillon. Josiah Thompson helped Dillon to a 38-5 record over his four year contribution at Dillon, two of which were Covid years. Bet he/she can’t say that about his/her Crestwood team. Josiah Thompson also had recruiters from several major D1 colleges across the nation. Were there other players that were deserving, sure, but PDFF’s ‘opinion’ doesn’t have a say so in determining the award. Goes to show much how PPFF’s ‘opinion’ is worth.

Josiah Thompson has also been honored to be selected as an All American. The All American bowl committee selected him to play in the bowl game January 6.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:01 am
mikey wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:52 pm
PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
1 CAT FAN wrote:

And you are entitled to your opinion…as am I. I don’t have a problem with the kid winning the award. I think that was clear in my previous post. He just isn’t the best senior high school football player in SC. That’s my opinion…JMO. It’s called discussion and the entire purpose of a forum. Half your post doesn’t even make sense Mikey (hard time respecting any adult male who goes by Mikey).

I have zero idea who you are talking about with regards to 7 time champ. Don’t even care. What I do know is that the award is supposed to be for the best senior HS football player in SC. My opinion is that a left tackle for a 3A team that didn’t make it past the second round of the playoffs probably isn’t the best player in the state. If I’m not mistaken you said that people don’t even know what the award is for…why don’t you enlighten us? What is it for? Again, I don’t really care, it was just an observation. One shared apparently by some fans from Dillon based on the posts I replied to. But Mikey, very funny to call a grown man that, why don’t you tell us what is the award for if it isn’t the best senior football player in the state of SC? Would love for you to school all us “know it alls.”
Well pee…should I call you pee or Dee or Peedy..The award is given to the most Outstanding senior football player in SC for accomplishments both on and off field since apparently you do care…

As for my screen name which you find funny( laughter is a good thing) I actually started out in 2004 as Mike79..then through many format changes is became Mikey..At 62 years I actually like being called Mikey…takes me back to my younger days when I actually played ball instead of just observing…

You said it was for dicussion,but I didn’t see who you thought should win the award for discussion..You just said the Thompson kid didn’t deserve it..

You may not respect a grown man being called Mikey..I can still sleep at night knowing that..but at least I have the balls to show what team I’m affiliated with..

Hope you have a great and blessed day..

PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:29 am
Just some dude/gal that hates Dillon. Josiah Thompson helped Dillon to a 38-5 record over his four year contribution at Dillon, two of which were Covid years. Bet he/she can’t say that about his/her Crestwood team. Josiah Thompson also had recruiters from several major D1 colleges across the nation. Were there other players that were deserving, sure, but PDFF’s ‘opinion’ doesn’t have a say so in determining the award. Goes to show much how PPFF’s ‘opinion’ is worth.

Josiah Thompson has also been honored to be selected as an All American. The All American bowl committee selected him to play in the bowl game January 6.
First to address Lil Mikey’s point I never said the Dillon kid doesn’t deserve it. I did say that Sellers deserved it last year. Thompson is a great player. I just don’t think he was the best HS football player in the state. Maybe the best prospect out of SC to make it to the NFL. There’s a difference there.

Second to CatFan, you know who my team is. It’s crazy we made it further in the playoffs in 3A than a Dillon team that had two all state tackles, one of which was named the best player in the state, a QB with SEC offers and apparently ranked as one of the most sought after underclass QBs in the nation, an all state running back and an all state middle linebacker. But you couldn’t go past the second round of the playoffs. Heck we may have one kid get a chance to play college ball and we went further. As far as your record while Thompson was at Dillon every Dillon team is going to look like that because you guys refuse to schedule anyone in the regular season and play in the weakest region in the state. Then when you have to play anyone tough you lose, even at home lately.

I mean you got rolled by Hartsville who turned out to not be that good of a football team and then you lose against the first decent 3A team you play all year at home between them whitewalls in the SECOND round of the playoffs. With all that talent, that’s funny. Not sure if Camden has more than 2 kids that will play at a lower level in college and they mud stomped you guys in your house. Their QB dominated both sides of the ball and embarrassed your highly touted QB on that interception and return. You would think a kid who claims to run a 4.5 forty could catch a 250 lb QB over 55 yards. Kinda looked like he was scared. Maybe the Camden QB would have been a good candidate for Mr. Football. He was the difference maker in that game.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:22 am
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:29 am

First to address Lil Mikey’s point I never said the Dillon kid doesn’t deserve it. I did say that Sellers deserved it last year. Thompson is a great player. I just don’t think he was the best HS football player in the state. Maybe the best prospect out of SC to make it to the NFL. There’s a difference there.
Lil mikey is my rap name….

Ole pee dee
His cornflakes got wee..
Dude be hatin on lil mikey
Mikey don’t care
No worse for the wear
Old man mikey
still got great hair
.. ;)

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

PDFF’s Crestwood team’s record over the past decade 11-2 Brookland Cayce ended their best season smashing them 53-27. From there it’s 8-4, 6-3, 3-3, 4-5, 2-9, 9-6, 5-6, 2-8, 1-11. Mr. Football Josiah Thompson & the Dillon Wildcats ended PDFF’s Crestwood’s season just a couple years ago 41-14.

10-2 hasn’t been Dillon’s best year but there’s been several great ones. Crestwood can’t say that, just an average program that lucked up on a decent season. That’s a fact.