South Carolina Mr. Football

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Re: South Carolina Mr. Football

Post by Ddub14 »

PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:13 pm
Jackiehayes#1 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:13 pm
This is a joke, the kid is good but I never saw the hype behind him..#77 looked way better this year than him especially the game vs Camden when he was blocking air..
I will say this Thompson & his family are really good people and they been though hell a few years ago with that tragedy that happened..
I remember that we had a QB who won 4 state championships and he didn't win this...
Don’t worry, maybe your QB will win it in 2 years. That would be weird. I mean it’s called South Carolina Mr. Football. Agree with you though hard to believe your four time state champ QB didn’t win it with his stats and record. Again, I think last years result made people really not care about this award anymore because it isn’t always the best HS player in SC. Sellers was that by a mile last year but at the time he was committed to Syracuse so he never had a chance.

Hopefully they get some more informed people voting in the future. Most of these local sports guys only know their area if they even know that. I’d argue several don’t know football at all when you watch their replay shows. Would like to see the guys from movin the chains get some input. They cover ball state wide and know the coaches and players.

Either way, Thompson was a great lineman on a run heavy offense from what I know and saw out of Dillon a few games this year. I’d there a lot of hype because of stars and being committed to USC, yeah, but again no way to make this objective and I guess it’s a great story to have an O lineman win it every 30 years or so. Congrats to him.
Thompson wasn’t even the best offensive lineman in the state. That was Watson Young
Better technique , grade out, didn’t take plays off ,tougher competition . 51-1 all time record with 3 state titles.What he didn’t have was enough stars by his name and he wasn’t 6 ft 7 300 lbs that colleges think they can mold into something.
Congratulations to the kid from Dillon but if you don’t think that being the #1 recruit for USC didn’t help you haven’t been paying attention to this award for awhile.

PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

Post by PeeDeeFootballFan »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:10 pm
PDFF’s Crestwood team’s record over the past decade 11-2 Brookland Cayce ended their best season smashing them 53-27. From there it’s 8-4, 6-3, 3-3, 4-5, 2-9, 9-6, 5-6, 2-8, 1-11. Mr. Football Josiah Thompson & the Dillon Wildcats ended PDFF’s Crestwood’s season just a couple years ago 41-14.

10-2 hasn’t been Dillon’s best year but there’s been several great ones. Crestwood can’t say that, just an average program that lucked up on a decent season. That’s a fact.

Ok I have been the first to say that this season was our shot and we don’t have an amazing program at all. But c’mon are you gonna start saying that Dillon losing at home not even sniffing the state championship is cool. Again, I cited all the talent you have. So how come you can’t even smell the state championship?

You lost in the second round with “all state” players everywhere and a underclass QB with SEC offers. No one is scared of the white walls anymore and if you guys don’t change some things, I don’t see any shot at a state championship for Dillon anytime soon. Maybe if everyone good moves up to 4A and you stay in 3A but that’s a joke state championship too if BC, Camden, Gilbert, Daniel, BHP, and all the rest move up. Basically a 2A title at that point. Still don’t see it happening. As far as Dillon ending our season 2 years ago…correct. That happened. Our QB was a sophomore then. We didn’t have the natural talent to compete against Dillon then. But let’s not pretend that Thompson was a big part of that win over us in the playoffs. You had at least 2 RBs, a WR, and a QB who committed to play college football. You guys have a ton of talent. You haven’t produced with it besides some 2A success. Again, you guys get excited about beating Aynor and Loris. Your region is a joke and when you have to do anything different to beat a decent team you don’t get it done unless it’s in 2A against small time talent. It’s just a fact at this point.

You guys play no one every year and lose when you have to in the playoffs. Wouldn’t matter if you didn’t talk such a big game but it’s a fact that Dillon is basically done when it comes to playing well coached teams with similar talent. Keep up the 10-2, 11-2 type records when you lose every game that matters. We played a legit 5A school this year and won. Didn’t end where we wanted but c”non with the well it’s ok and we will get em next year. Just say it, Dillon ain’t what it used to be. No big deal.
Last edited by PeeDeeFootballFan on Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:56 pm
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:10 pm
PDFF’s Crestwood team’s record over the past decade 11-2 Brookland Cayce ended their best season smashing them 53-27. From there it’s 8-4, 6-3, 3-3, 4-5, 2-9, 9-6, 5-6, 2-8, 1-11. Mr. Football Josiah Thompson & the Dillon Wildcats ended PDFF’s Crestwood’s season just a couple years ago 41-14.

10-2 hasn’t been Dillon’s best year but there’s been several great ones. Crestwood can’t say that, just an average program that lucked up on a decent season. That’s a fact.

Ok I have been the first to say that this season was our shot and we don’t have an amazing program at all. But c’mon are you gonna start saying that Dillon losing at home not even sniffing the state championship is cool. Again, I cited all the talent you have. So how come you can’t even smell the state championship?

You lost in the second round with “all state” players everywhere and a underclass QB with SEC offers. No one is scared of the white walls anymore and if you guys don’t change some things, I don’t see any shot at a state championship for Dillon anytime soon. Maybe if everyone good moves up to 4A and you stay in 3A but that’s a joke state championship too if BC, Camden, Gilbert, Daniel, BHP, and all the rest move up. Basically a 2A title at that point. Still don’t see it happening.

You guys play no one every year and lose when you have to in the playoffs. Wouldn’t matter if you didn’t talk such a big game but it’s a fact that Dillon is basically done when it comes to playing well coached teams with similar talent. Keep up the 10-2, 11-2 type records when you lose every game that matters. We played a legit 5A school this year and won. Didn’t end where we wanted but c”non with the well it’s ok and we will get em next year. Just say it, Dillon ain’t what it used to be. No big deal.
6 of their titles came when they moved down to 2a which was even more watered down because half of those were two divisions in 2a at the time. Then they moved back to 3a and won one in 2017 beating a Chapman team that had a key injury to its qb. Remember a lot of the traditional 3a power teams were in 4A at the time.Then realignment came and the old school 3a teams came back into the fold and there you have it.

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

Ddub14 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:38 pm
Thompson wasn’t even the best offensive lineman in the state. That was Watson Young
Whew! App state nearly had him. Sadly, the standard at Clemson for the offensive line hasn't been there the past couple of years. Hopefully, the best in the state as 'you call him' can contribute to changing that. Welcome Watson Young to the Tiger/Cat family.
Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

Ddub14 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:01 pm
6 of their titles came when they moved down to 2a which was even more watered down because half of those were two divisions in 2a at the time. Then they moved back to 3a and won one in 2017 beating a Chapman team that had a key injury to its qb. Remember a lot of the traditional 3a power teams were in 4A at the time.Then realignment came and the old school 3a teams came back into the fold and there you have it.
Aren't you the guy/gal that went into hiding after all the smack talk during the '22 season then the Powdersville belittlement.
Ddub14 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:27 pm
So your philosophy is if you don’t do it at the highest classification it doesn’t count . I guess Abbeville sucks because they are playing 2a teams .Get outta here. Pick a team and go with it. You just hate on anyone with any type of success. You’ve made remarks toward Dillon SFlo
W flo Daniel . Those teams are a combined 44-1.
Shouldn’t we be complimentary of these teams doing well .
I could make the case that if south Florence were in 5A they would be representing the lower state in the state championship as well and would have a legit shot at winning it. Clearly you have a sorry program that you follow and instead of backing them because they probably suck you just continue to hate on others. It’s kind of old.
Complimentary of the lower classifications, I applaud you.
Ddub14 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:27 pm
Clearly you have a sorry program that you follow and instead of backing them because they probably suck you just continue to hate on others. It’s kind of old.
That can be said of PeeDeeFootballFan.

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Ok I have been the first to say that this season was our shot and we don’t have an amazing program at all.
Finally, there's an 'opinion' everyone can agree with.

Dillon's Josiah Thompson, South Carolina Mr. Football, Shrine Bowl Champion now heading to the All American Bowl January 6 on NBC.

PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:01 pm
PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Ok I have been the first to say that this season was our shot and we don’t have an amazing program at all.

Dillon's Josiah Thompson, South Carolina Mr. Football, Shrine Bowl Champion now heading to the All American Bowl January 6 on NBC.
Newsflash, Dillon hasn’t even played for a state championship in 5 years while being preseason ranked #1 or 2 every year. You guys get ranked, beat Waccamaw and Georgetown and bad 4A teams and very bad 5A teams and lose to everyone decent in the playoffs. You guys have more talent than anyone and can’t ever get it done in 3A. Keep up the fear the white walls. No one is afraid. You’re basically a really good 2A team which is JV football. In 3A you’re better than everyone in your region…well except than Aynor five years ago who beat you running a rec league offense. The second you play anyone in the playoffs you get smoked…every year now and usually at home.

Again you have a QB with SEC offers ( which is crazy having seen him play), the best player in the state at left tackle, an all state right tackle and running back and you can’t get past the second round of the playoffs in 3A football. And that’s with all the kids you recruit from other counties and states like your QB right who lives in Lumberton, NC and your RB who lived in Darlington a few years ago. You are just like Oceanside and Gray just doing it under the table and still can’t win it all.

PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:17 pm
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:01 pm
PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:

Newsflash, Dillon hasn’t even played for a state championship in 5 years while being preseason ranked #1 or 2 every year. You guys get ranked, beat Waccamaw and Georgetown and bad 4A teams and very bad 5A teams and lose to everyone decent in the playoffs. You guys have more talent than anyone and can’t ever get it done in 3A. Keep up the fear the white walls. No one is afraid. You’re basically a really good 2A team which is JV football. In 3A you’re better than everyone in your region…well except than Aynor five years ago who beat you running a rec league offense. The second you play anyone in the playoffs you get smoked…every year now and usually at home.

Again you have a QB with SEC offers ( which is crazy having seen him play), the best player in the state at left tackle, an all state right tackle and running back and you can’t get past the second round of the playoffs in 3A football. And that’s with all the kids you recruit from other counties and states like your QB right who lives in Lumberton, NC and your RB who lived in Darlington a few years ago. You are just like Oceanside and Gray just doing it under the table and still can’t win it all.
1CAT FAN, I’ll just take this as a “no comment,” from you at this point. I have a feeling Oceanside, the only team left in 3A in the lower state with any talent will take it to ya’ll next year anyways in the playoffs. All you have left is a great running back. No line returning and no QB. It will be another year of Dillon going undefeated on one of the weakest schedules in the state and then losing in the playoffs. At least because :A is so weak now I think you’ll make the lower state finals. It would be embarrassing if Dillon didn’t at this point.

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:17 pm
PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:08 am
I was the first one in the Irmo and Crestwood bandwagon although it wasn’t a bandwagon then. They are just elite teams.
PeeDeeFootballFan wrote:
Which is it?
Actually, I had forgotten about your affiliation with Crestwood.
You should stay focused on what Crestwood has and doesn't have than Dillon.