Class 5A will split, crown 2 champions in each sport under new SCHSL realignment

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

Class 5A will split, crown 2 champions in each sport under new SCHSL realignment

Post by SCPrepTalk »

Justafan
No Team Affiliation

Re: Class 5A will split, crown 2 champions in each sport under new SCHSL realignment

Post by Justafan »

Just saw it.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Re: Class 5A will split, crown 2 champions in each sport under new SCHSL realignment

Post by DFOLDMAN »

No....5A...all of 5A....belongs to DF. We know that.

Ugh...bureaucrats. Going to call this the "Tom Knotts Avoidance Realignment".

Fear The Fox...

NHSTrojan
Northwestern Trojans

Post by NHSTrojan »

I wasn’t here for it, but doesn’t this kinda sound like the old big 16?

I think I like the larger regions and I agree with the huge attendance gap from 1-52 or 60. How big of an issue is that, I don’t know.

My guess is somehow everyone will make the playoffs in this system. 5 rounds is too many.

olguy73
No Team Affiliation

Post by olguy73 »

NHSTrojan wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:06 am
I wasn’t here for it, but doesn’t this kinda sound like the old big 16?

I think I like the larger regions and I agree with the huge attendance gap from 1-52 or 60. How big of an issue is that, I don’t know.

My guess is somehow everyone will make the playoffs in this system. 5 rounds is too many.
Old big 16 was a mess. You had 0-10 teams making the playoffs. Also they (4a) played an extra regular season game and dropped one for seeding purposes.

7timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 7timechamps »

36 teams in 5A right now.. Will be 52-60 next year..

New 5A -- Big 5A will be the huge schools, little 5A will be DF winning every state title! But Lots of the bigger current 4A schools who are competing to win state will be in the little 5A too. Westside, Greenville, South Florence could all be in little 5A

New 4A - Could possibly feel similar to the current 3A along with the stronger, smaller schools in current 4A like South Pointe.

New 3A will likely be all the private and charter schools that compete year in year out.. Gray, Oceanside, BE, etc.

2A will have solid public schools who don't have lots of multiplier numbers. Could see Clintons, Chesters, etc. competing in 2A if they're lucky lol.

1A will be what it's supposed to be.

Classifications are going to be released by next Tuesday latest but I won't be surprised if it's this Friday since that's when most schools head out for Christmas!
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

This should be interesting. I can't wait to see how they manage the playoff brackets and seeding in 5A-1 and 5A-2. :?

Do they keep the upper/lower state brackets to minimize travel? To do so, I think the teams in the midlands would have to be "hybrids", some going in either side of the bracket as needed.

Do they go back to a points system for seeding?

Wildstallion2
South Pointe Stallions

Post by Wildstallion2 »

Everyone gets a Trophy, the winners and the losers, this will make it harder on College Recruiting Scouts. It would be better to just start a 6A Class or even a 7A like other states do.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

This is stupid. Works fine now. DF would be the smaller 5A? And also that Gaffney might drop all the way to 4A? And their reasoning is the disparity in enrollment? That is some unmitigated bovid fecal matter. "Disparity in enrollment in 5A"?....more like disparity in titles in trophy case in Ballentine. Dumb.

Gaffney and DF are the only winners of late in 5A....good lord.

Fear The Fox...

Indian14
No Team Affiliation

Post by Indian14 »

Then let Gaffney and DF petition to move up.