New head coaching jobs in South Carolina are coming from out of state and why?

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Old-school
No Team Affiliation

New head coaching jobs in South Carolina are coming from out of state and why?

Post by Old-school »

The reason most of the new head coaches are coming from outside the state of South Carolina is because most new administrators are coming from out of state and it’s all about controlling the power of the school and community! The average fans just want to win and that’s why no one cares!

olguy73
No Team Affiliation

Re: New head coaching jobs in South Carolina are coming from out of state and why?

Post by olguy73 »

Old-school wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:03 am
The reason most of the new head coaches are coming from outside the state of South Carolina is because most new administrators are coming from out of state and it’s all about controlling the power of the school and community! The average fans just want to win and that’s why no one cares!
That very well could be a reason. However, the main reason is pay. SC is far ahead of NC and Florida in terms of supplements for coaching. Also Florida is a mess in terms of teaching pay, its extremely complicated and truthfully does not pay well. NC is on pace with SC in terms of paying teachers, however, NC does not pay teachers for Master's and once a teacher reaches 15 years they will not receive a step increase until year 23/24. Realistically a coach that is teaching in NC has a master's could see an increase of almost 10,000 in just base pay. In NC, the average head coaching supplement is just around 4,000 (and most are just 10 month jobs with not extra days) and Florida is right at that as well.

I am willing to argue, that the majority of coaches hired in the state of SC are from SC or have been coaching in the state as an assistant for a number of years. Also, you have some young coaches that leave SC to be a HC in NC for the experience and try to get back home. We see these high profile jobs near the coast hire out of state and we presume all districts and counties value out of states over in state. I do not believe that is always the case. Horry County is notorious for hiring out of state, however, Conway stayed in state even with several coaches from championship level schools in NC applying and interviewing.

Old-school
No Team Affiliation

Re: New head coaching jobs in South Carolina are coming from out of state and why?

Post by Old-school »

The last Horry county hire for head coach was North Myrtle High and was a North Carolina hire! Horry County is different than most counties in South Carolina! The money is no problem! Horry county has great history with going outside for NC coaches! For example Green Sea Floyd High several years ago hired a North Carolina coach who drove 25 miles to work and brought several players and what happened State Champs! Now the coach is in Charleston County and losing! Now Carolina Forest High’s head coach is a product of North Carolina and has done a good job bringing that program around matter fact he lost his best running back to South Florence and with that running back Carolina Forest may have been Westside for state championship! You only pay scales from NC and Florida! If a coach comes from outside of South Carolina and don’t count Horry County or Dutch Fork it’s not money money that’s bringing them it’s because they can’t win!

Tigerific
Conway Tigers

Post by Tigerific »

Conway hired Josh Pierce last year. NMB hired from inside the last tine after Matt Reel left for Boiling Springs.

olguy73
No Team Affiliation

Post by olguy73 »

Old-school wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:58 am
The last Horry county hire for head coach was North Myrtle High and was a North Carolina hire! Horry County is different than most counties in South Carolina! The money is no problem! Horry county has great history with going outside for NC coaches! For example Green Sea Floyd High several years ago hired a North Carolina coach who drove 25 miles to work and brought several players and what happened State Champs! Now the coach is in Charleston County and losing! Now Carolina Forest High’s head coach is a product of North Carolina and has done a good job bringing that program around matter fact he lost his best running back to South Florence and with that running back Carolina Forest may have been Westside for state championship! You only pay scales from NC and Florida! If a coach comes from outside of South Carolina and don’t count Horry County or Dutch Fork it’s not money money that’s bringing them it’s because they can’t win!
Green Sea Floyds was a non factor in 1A, he won a state title there. West Ashley historically has been bad, he has not posted a losing record there, so how is that not winning?

I only mentioned Florida and North Carolina because that is where we are seeing coaches come from. Georgia isn't losing their coaches to SC because the pay and facilities are better. Trust me when I saw, money talks and it is a huge driving force coaches looking. They can say the don't coach for the money, but good will does not pay the light bill or keep food on the table.

I am not going to comb the state to vet where coaches come from honestly I do not really care. In my original post, I stated "not that many out of state coaches get jobs". I know a couple of Midland schools that hired out of state and the guys they did were successful at their previous schools so the narrative that they can not win is false.

Let me clarify also, I do not know the coach that was hired at FD, it is a head scratcher for sure. I am not defending that hire, so do not come at for it as it appears there is an axe to grind over it. I do not have a dog in that fight and wish both of them well

Justafan
No Team Affiliation

Post by Justafan »

olguy73 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:52 am
Old-school wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:58 am
Green Sea Floyds was a non factor in 1A, he won a state title there. West Ashley historically has been bad, he has not posted a losing record there, so how is that not winning?

I only mentioned Florida and North Carolina because that is where we are seeing coaches come from. Georgia isn't losing their coaches to SC because the pay and facilities are better. Trust me when I saw, money talks and it is a huge driving force coaches looking. They can say the don't coach for the money, but good will does not pay the light bill or keep food on the table.

I am not going to comb the state to vet where coaches come from honestly I do not really care. In my original post, I stated "not that many out of state coaches get jobs". I know a couple of Midland schools that hired out of state and the guys they did were successful at their previous schools so the narrative that they can not win is false.

Let me clarify also, I do not know the coach that was hired at FD, it is a head scratcher for sure. I am not defending that hire, so do not come at for it as it appears there is an axe to grind over it. I do not have a dog in that fight and wish both of them well
Hearing a rumor that FD hire was a friend hire.
Rumor mill ofcourse .bit some candidates were top notch as well as what they had in place.
From what I'm hearing not on here .there's a battle amd right now the principle is winning it.scorched earth style . And all indicators are leaning towards that being
The case.
Guy has pissed off everyone you can think of.
Bewildered others . Even outsiders are simply amazed and dumbfounded.

Old-school
No Team Affiliation

Post by Old-school »

Old-school has been there! Coach at several great schools, two state championships, principal for 20 year , played at the next in this this state, and I have traveled South Carolina to watch many great games since my retirement in
state! I saw FD in the Bagwell days play their heart out and I saw the LaPrad area! I seen the great Principals at Fort Dorchester and I have seen the awful 😢! I just don’t understand how a community can let a selfish band director now a Principal ruin what you folks had! When the ship sinks the rats will jump off! I’m just saying Fort D. doesn’t belong to one man the so called Principal that is trying to punish the people that have committed time and money to this High School!

Low Country Observer
No Team Affiliation

Post by Low Country Observer »

The Head Coach hire at North Myrtle Beach was already on staff for 4-5 years. I believe he was the DC on the NMB staff that played for State Title.

Former HC from Green Sea, Keifer, won 2 State Championships there and reportedly has close to 300 wins overall. I doubt he brought players from Charlotte to Green Sea. Never heard that at all. I think he did bring some coaches from NC though. Also has a winning record in Charleston according to MaxPreps.

Marc Morris at Carolina Forest has made CF a perennial contender. He had winning records in NC also. Just a matter of time until CF wins a title. As a point of reference Morris’ CF defeated Keifer’s WA team 28-21 in the 2nd round.

Mark Barnes at Sumter has done a great job just like Morris at CF. He also nearly 300 wins. He also won State in NC. Barnes Sumter squad lost to CF in regular season but made it to the 3rd round also.

To say that these coaches from NC can’t win is a foolish statement. I am a SC native and have followed high school football in coastal SC for a long time. I care less about where coaches come from and more about their abilities. There are great coaches from every state in the nation.