Are Greenwood's best days over? (part 2)

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Re: Are Greenwood's best days over? (part 2)

Post by StateChampsGHS »

The athletes/talent are there in the town. The problem is getting everyone to come out and play football like once before. I think Liner will restore the tradition back into Greenwood and get those players excited to play football again.
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

StateChampsGHS wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 am
The athletes/talent are there in the town. The problem is getting everyone to come out and play football like once before. I think Liner will restore the tradition back into Greenwood and get those players excited to play football again.
I definitely don't claim to have all of the answers. What I can say is I know the effort is being put in to remedy the issues. It isn't easy, but it is possible to fix it. I don't think anything else can be asked for from the coach when he is really trying to remedy the issues. Perhaps it's an issue the community can help with.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

It isn't a coach issue. It isn't a classification issue.

It is a community issue.

The coach can put stuff into place, but ultimately it will come down to the parents (or lack there of) and the community activists.

Put the pressure on the parents (or those not involved - genetic donors) and the preachers in the pulpits and REAL change can take place.

The other piece is the one that when they drew the lines when Emerald was moved to a HS and Greenwood 50 became a 2 HS district.

I lived there. I still have friends there. I keep up with what goes on there. It's a good place to be, but there are a lots of holes in the system that need to be filled.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

StateChampsGHS wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:01 pm
DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:49 am
StateChampsGHS wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:52 pm
Greenwood will be just fine next year. Greenwood had a lot of sophmores and juniors playing this past season.
If Greenwood is truly playing 5A....I don't think "fine" is the word I would use. The best team Greenwood had of late got curb-stomped by DF at Greenwood a couple years ago. Greenwood had a lot of underclassmen playing and went .500...so did DF...and Gaffney, and Hanna, and Byrnes...I just don't see Greenwood being able to compete at the level the fans hope. If they are in the region with DF for example. DF, White Knoll, Irmo, Lexington, River Bluff, Chapin...I wouldn't bet the farm on Greenwood beating any of those teams...just an opinion of course, but not seeing it.

Fear The Fox...
Coach Liner will have the guys ready for 5A next year. We don't back down to no one. We will play anybody on schedule no matter what classification they fall under. Liner will bring that mental toughness back to Greenwood.
Mental toughness.... explain that? They can be as "mentally tough" as the next 16 or 17 year old kid, but if the coach has a scheme that works best for a team that is accustomed to being physically dominant without the Jimmy's and Joe's...you can forget it. I watched them a couple years ago on video against DF...three yards and a cloud of dust these days is hard to be a champion. Even Hanna with their Wing T and a huge supply of skill players and size and depth on the lines...can't win it all and Greenwood's talent pool is nowhere near Hanna's...just stating fact. Not sure how mentally tough they are when teams like DF, Gville, and NW are hanging 45+ on them each game.

Fear The Fox...

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:56 am
StateChampsGHS wrote:
DFOLDMAN wrote:
StateChampsGHS wrote:
Greenwood will be just fine next year. Greenwood had a lot of sophmores and juniors playing this past season.
If Greenwood is truly playing 5A....I don't think "fine" is the word I would use. The best team Greenwood had of late got curb-stomped by DF at Greenwood a couple years ago. Greenwood had a lot of underclassmen playing and went .500...so did DF...and Gaffney, and Hanna, and Byrnes...I just don't see Greenwood being able to compete at the level the fans hope. If they are in the region with DF for example. DF, White Knoll, Irmo, Lexington, River Bluff, Chapin...I wouldn't bet the farm on Greenwood beating any of those teams...just an opinion of course, but not seeing it.

Fear The Fox...
Coach Liner will have the guys ready for 5A next year. We don't back down to no one. We will play anybody on schedule no matter what classification they fall under. Liner will bring that mental toughness back to Greenwood.
Mental toughness.... explain that? They can be as "mentally tough" as the next 16 or 17 year old kid, but if the coach has a scheme that works best for a team that is accustomed to being physically dominant without the Jimmy's and Joe's...you can forget it. I watched them a couple years ago on video against DF...three yards and a cloud of dust these days is hard to be a champion. Even Hanna with their Wing T and a huge supply of skill players and size and depth on the lines...can't win it all and Greenwood's talent pool is nowhere near Hanna's...just stating fact. Not sure how mentally tough they are when teams like DF, Gville, and NW are hanging 45+ on them each game.

Fear The Fox...
They aren't running that offense. They didn't run it last season either. Can't say it doesn't work though. Greenwood went to state three years in a row running that. I will admit. It hasn't worked as of late. And that's why they aren't running it. There is talent in Greenwood though. They just aren't playing or can't play for negative reasons. Things go in cycles. DFOLMAN, Dutch Fork wasn't always good. It happened when Knotts got there. It's easy to say other teams don't have it when your team is good and doesn't have issues.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

eagle93 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:07 pm
DFOLDMAN wrote:
StateChampsGHS wrote:
DFOLDMAN wrote:
StateChampsGHS wrote:

Fear The Fox...

Fear The Fox...
They aren't running that offense. They didn't run it last season either. Can't say it doesn't work though. Greenwood went to state three years in a row running that. I will admit. It hasn't worked as of late. And that's why they aren't running it. There is talent in Greenwood though. They just aren't playing or can't play for negative reasons. Things go in cycles. DFOLMAN, Dutch Fork wasn't always good. It happened when Knotts got there. It's easy to say other teams don't have it when your team is good and doesn't have issues.
It's not about coaching cycles so much, as economic/demographic cycles...there is no "always" to DF- the school has only been around since the 90's- let's keep things in perspective. Schools like Greenwood, Spartanburg, Gaffney, Clinton etc have always been around- since the start of HS football in SC. The greater Irmo area- NW Columbia still remains one of the most popular places for people to settle in SC. The X's and O's are critical, but Knotts could have taken the West-Oak or Pickens job and he would not have the results that he has had at DF...they would be competitive, but that is it. Not a threat every season. Gotta have the Jimmy's and Joe's to do what he has done, and Jimmy and Joe's folks need a job and a good place to live...that's a huge part of the Gwood problem. I suspect when TK does decide to hang it up, he will play a role in finding a successor...a Pelham or a Brand or luring Kimrey back from Tennessee...not TK but a HC that knows what it takes and how to do it. And every team has its issues...like Dutch Fork...football trophy case is too small.

Fear The Fox...

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:24 pm
eagle93 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:07 pm
DFOLDMAN wrote:
StateChampsGHS wrote:
DFOLDMAN wrote:
StateChampsGHS wrote:

Fear The Fox...

Fear The Fox...
It's not about coaching cycles so much, as economic/demographic cycles...there is no "always" to DF- the school has only been around since the 90's- let's keep things in perspective. Schools like Greenwood, Spartanburg, Gaffney, Clinton etc have always been around- since the start of HS football in SC. The greater Irmo area- NW Columbia still remains one of the most popular places for people to settle in SC. The X's and O's are critical, but Knotts could have taken the West-Oak or Pickens job and he would not have the results that he has had at DF...they would be competitive, but that is it. Not a threat every season. Gotta have the Jimmy's and Joe's to do what he has done, and Jimmy and Joe's folks need a job and a good place to live...that's a huge part of the Gwood problem. I suspect when TK does decide to hang it up, he will play a role in finding a successor...a Pelham or a Brand or luring Kimrey back from Tennessee...not TK but a HC that knows what it takes and how to do it. And every team has its issues...like Dutch Fork...football trophy case is too small.

Fear The Fox...
Okay, but Greenwood does have talent. There are just issues getting them on the team because of different reasons. Drugs, jail, etc. Greenwood's demographics is why there is talent there. It's like 50ish percent black and the rest white with Hispanic making up the rest. Most can't say this because they're concerned with being politically correct. There are athletes with those numbers. It's similar to Gaffney in demographics. And Gaffney is always a contender.