Are Greenwood's best days over? (part 2)

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Are Greenwood's best days over? (part 2)

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

These past 2 years I've just been trying to wrap my brain around what I've seen on the field at Greenwood and at other schools we get drilled by.

Greenwood has great facilities, a coach that is a Greenwood guy and knows what Greenwood football is all about, and now they've ditched the flexbone to run a more contemporary offense via the spread. Still the same results. Getting embarrassed by the better teams to the tune of a running clock.

I still can't get around the same reason I've said before and I'll say it again. It's not the coaches fault. We just don't have the Jimmy's and Joe's. We just don't. We have a few good players that could have bright futures but not enough to compete with all the schools that take in transfers and make these super teams. I'm not even hating on them. I wish we would do that honestly but our coach is against it. So what are they going to do to counter punch that? Only thing I can think of is combine the high schools but we all know that's not going to happen. So I don't know what the solution is.

I guess we'll continue to be average until something happens differently. I'm just tired of watching my eagles get beat like they stole something lol. I have no clue what's going on behind the scenes. I'm not hating on my own school. I just want to see them do better.

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Re: Are Greenwood's best days over? (part 2)

Post by CITYSLICKER »

KNOW YOUR FEELINGS MY GREENWOOD BROTHER, TIMES AINT THE SAME FOR SURE.
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Post by HoodRoad »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:39 pm
These past 2 years I've just been trying to wrap my brain around what I've seen on the field at Greenwood and at other schools we get drilled by.

Greenwood has great facilities, a coach that is a Greenwood guy and knows what Greenwood football is all about, and now they've ditched the flexbone to run a more contemporary offense via the spread. Still the same results. Getting embarrassed by the better teams to the tune of a running clock.

I still can't get around the same reason I've said before and I'll say it again. It's not the coaches fault. We just don't have the Jimmy's and Joe's. We just don't. We have a few good players that could have bright futures but not enough to compete with all the schools that take in transfers and make these super teams. I'm not even hating on them. I wish we would do that honestly but our coach is against it. So what are they going to do to counter punch that? Only thing I can think of is combine the high schools but we all know that's not going to happen. So I don't know what the solution is.

I guess we'll continue to be average until something happens differently. I'm just tired of watching my eagles get beat like they stole something lol. I have no clue what's going on behind the scenes. I'm not hating on my own school. I just want to see them do better.
As an outsider it's 1 of about 3 things...1) You've hit a dead spot in your cycle of athletes. 2) Coaching 3) Losing athletes to other schools.
I don't see it being #3 based on the schools in your area like Emerald, they're terrible too. Laurens is terrible, 96 had a good season and maybe they're getting some of your athletes. Maybe you're losing some to Clinton & Abbeville but that's doubtful based on distance IMO. So, I'd look at coaching. Has the guy been there long enough to make changes, create interest in the program, etc? Idk anything about your coach but I do know the name GREENWOOD used to scare the crap out of teams. I also don't like to suggest anyone lose their job unless they aren't performing.

I keep posting and I'll keep on...you either go after Fountain at Clinton or Lybrand at Beaufort. Fountain is a great coach top to bottom. Look at his track record. He's trending upward. Someone bigger is going to get him. Lybrand has been trying to get out of Bfort. He's a Gwood guy, Dula disciple. Either could be your guy if you can get them.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

HoodRoad wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:14 am
GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:39 pm

As an outsider it's 1 of about 3 things...1) You've hit a dead spot in your cycle of athletes. 2) Coaching 3) Losing athletes to other schools.
I don't see it being #3 based on the schools in your area like Emerald, they're terrible too. Laurens is terrible, 96 had a good season and maybe they're getting some of your athletes. Maybe you're losing some to Clinton & Abbeville but that's doubtful based on distance IMO. So, I'd look at coaching. Has the guy been there long enough to make changes, create interest in the program, etc? Idk anything about your coach but I do know the name GREENWOOD used to scare the crap out of teams. I also don't like to suggest anyone lose their job unless they aren't performing.

I keep posting and I'll keep on...you either go after Fountain at Clinton or Lybrand at Beaufort. Fountain is a great coach top to bottom. Look at his track record. He's trending upward. Someone bigger is going to get him. Lybrand has been trying to get out of Bfort. He's a Gwood guy, Dula disciple. Either could be your guy if you can get them.

I would say four things...#4....local economy. It's dead there....only thing saving Clinton is access to the interstate. No one is beating down the door to move to Greenwood. Until it's an attractive place to live or has the jobs (death of textiles sealed the fate of those communities that didn't branch out or re-brand for work options)...not going to have a steady stream of Jimmys and Joes of the elite category.

Fear The Fox...

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Curious as to which region Greenwood will play in...

The western region or the Columbia region...

Fear The Fox...

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:37 am
I would say four things...#4....local economy. It's dead there.
It's really not. There are jobs and a small college. It's a lively place at times.

You're partly correct that the economy is a mess there. The textile industry caving created deeper pockets of poverty. The streets are currently undefeated in Greenwood right now. They don't have enough kids to lose as many as they do to gangs/drugs. It's a poor town with two schools splitting a talent pool that's being swallowed up by the streets. They have the talent in Greenwood. Most of it just isn't suiting up on Friday nights.

As bad as it got for McMahon at Emerald, he had things rolling there for a couple years because several members of his coaching staff (including the late, great Chris Deal) were in the streets...winning over those pockets. Cathcart did similar things but he wasn't around long enough to keep it going at Greenwood.

Pippin missed in a big way and that program was set back years because of his ineptitude. Liner is a "Greenwood guy" but he's not doing such a hot job getting kids out there right now. He has to do a better job of building a staff that can win back the community.

Dubose's high and mighty FCA type thinking won't work at Emerald. He fell into the same pit as McMahon. As staff built upon the foundation of nepotism and good ole boys. That will not work in those hallways. They are good men, not great relationship builders.

The streets need something different and until the district realizes that, both schools will be bottom feeders.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

No Fly Zone wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:52 pm
DFOLDMAN wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:37 am
I would say four things...#4....local economy. It's dead there.
It's really not. There are jobs and a small college. It's a lively place at times.

You're partly correct that the economy is a mess there. The textile industry caving created deeper pockets of poverty. The streets are currently undefeated in Greenwood right now. They don't have enough kids to lose as many as they do to gangs/drugs. It's a poor town with two schools splitting a talent pool that's being swallowed up by the streets. They have the talent in Greenwood. Most of it just isn't suiting up on Friday nights.

As bad as it got for McMahon at Emerald, he had things rolling there for a couple years because several members of his coaching staff (including the late, great Chris Deal) were in the streets...winning over those pockets. Cathcart did similar things but he wasn't around long enough to keep it going at Greenwood.

Pippin missed in a big way and that program was set back years because of his ineptitude. Liner is a "Greenwood guy" but he's not doing such a hot job getting kids out there right now. He has to do a better job of building a staff that can win back the community.

Dubose's high and mighty FCA type thinking won't work at Emerald. He fell into the same pit as McMahon. As staff built upon the foundation of nepotism and good ole boys. That will not work in those hallways. They are good men, not great relationship builders.

The streets need something different and until the district realizes that, both schools will be bottom feeders.

Just sayin'...

Fear The Fox....

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

I lived in Greenwood for 7 years. Not a bad place to be, really got some nice spots considering its location.

The biggest problem is all the folks who seem to think they are on the same level as the Self's. And the gang issue just keeps getting glossed over and nobody is willing to put the capital into sweeping out the trash.

The mill villages are nice (built by the Self's) and MUCH better than most mill villages around the Upstate. The lake nearby is a plus and the Uptown could really be a show place if the town council would actually do something.

The BBQ festival is a great event to be. I ate a lot of Dixie Cheese while there.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

Greenwood will be just fine next year. Greenwood had a lot of sophmores and juniors playing this past season.
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

StateChampsGHS wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:52 pm
Greenwood will be just fine next year. Greenwood had a lot of sophmores and juniors playing this past season.
If Greenwood is truly playing 5A....I don't think "fine" is the word I would use. The best team Greenwood had of late got curb-stomped by DF at Greenwood a couple years ago. Greenwood had a lot of underclassmen playing and went .500...so did DF...and Gaffney, and Hanna, and Byrnes...I just don't see Greenwood being able to compete at the level the fans hope. If they are in the region with DF for example. DF, White Knoll, Irmo, Lexington, River Bluff, Chapin...I wouldn't bet the farm on Greenwood beating any of those teams...just an opinion of course, but not seeing it.

Fear The Fox...