Are Greenwood's best days over? (part 2)

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
northside knight
Greenwood Eagles

Re: Are Greenwood's best days over? (part 2)

Post by northside knight »

Heard a lot of opinions on this. Here's mine. The kids that come out will need to commit and stay committed to Greenwood football. The genetic pool or a lack of impact players can change if they get in the weight room. Point blank period. If the kids don't want to be a .500 team, they need to train and train hard. They need to lift there way to a region championship and beyond. I'm not saying they aren't already working. I'm saying they need to work harder. Those Dula and Cathcart teams didn't just show up and play. THEY WORKED and WORKED HARD and WORKED HARDER. Do this, and they won't have to chase success. success will chase them.

northside knight
Greenwood Eagles

Post by northside knight »

I'm just tired of all the excuses about the talent pool, and greenwood not being a desirable place to live, no jobs, gangs ect. Greenwood is about the same Greenwood as it was when we were winning in that regard.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

northside knight wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:03 pm
I'm just tired of all the excuses about the talent pool, and greenwood not being a desirable place to live, no jobs, gangs ect. Greenwood is about the same Greenwood as it was when we were winning in that regard.
This is wildly out of touch

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

Anyone know if Tom Tom still helps out the Gwood coaching staff?

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:49 am
StateChampsGHS wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:52 pm
Greenwood will be just fine next year. Greenwood had a lot of sophmores and juniors playing this past season.
If Greenwood is truly playing 5A....I don't think "fine" is the word I would use. The best team Greenwood had of late got curb-stomped by DF at Greenwood a couple years ago. Greenwood had a lot of underclassmen playing and went .500...so did DF...and Gaffney, and Hanna, and Byrnes...I just don't see Greenwood being able to compete at the level the fans hope. If they are in the region with DF for example. DF, White Knoll, Irmo, Lexington, River Bluff, Chapin...I wouldn't bet the farm on Greenwood beating any of those teams...just an opinion of course, but not seeing it.

Fear The Fox...
Coach Liner will have the guys ready for 5A next year. We don't back down to no one. We will play anybody on schedule no matter what classification they fall under. Liner will bring that mental toughness back to Greenwood.
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

northside knight wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:56 pm
Heard a lot of opinions on this. Here's mine. The kids that come out will need to commit and stay committed to Greenwood football. The genetic pool or a lack of impact players can change if they get in the weight room. Point blank period. If the kids don't want to be a .500 team, they need to train and train hard. They need to lift there way to a region championship and beyond. I'm not saying they aren't already working. I'm saying they need to work harder. Those Dula and Cathcart teams didn't just show up and play. THEY WORKED and WORKED HARD and WORKED HARDER. Do this, and they won't have to chase success. success will chase them.
I agree but Liner will get them back to that again.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

northside knight wrote:
Greenwood is a great place to live. No one talks about the communities around Lake Greenwood like Stoney Point, Grand Harbor, Puckett's Ferry and many more. No one talks about the North end of Greenwood either only the hoods and gangs of Greenwood. The hoods and gangs is only a small fragment of the whole population in Greenwood County. It's just the center of attention because of the news.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

There are lots of good opinions in here. Many of them valid. I don't know which ones are true. I do feel like Greenwood has gotten left behind. I'm an Eagle at heart. But I have to be honest. I'm not optimistic about the future. It's been over a decade since they done anything. Where is all this optimism coming from when your team is getting stomped annually by 50 points? That doesn't say Greenwood will be fine.

WShornets69
Ware Shoals Hornets

Post by WShornets69 »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:37 am
HoodRoad wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:14 am
GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:39 pm
These past 2 years I've just been trying to wrap my brain around what I've seen on the field at Greenwood and at other schools we get drilled by.

Greenwood has great facilities, a coach that is a Greenwood guy and knows what Greenwood football is all about, and now they've ditched the flexbone to run a more contemporary offense via the spread. Still the same results. Getting embarrassed by the better teams to the tune of a running clock.

I still can't get around the same reason I've said before and I'll say it again. It's not the coaches fault. We just don't have the Jimmy's and Joe's. We just don't. We have a few good players that could have bright futures but not enough to compete with all the schools that take in transfers and make these super teams. I'm not even hating on them. I wish we would do that honestly but our coach is against it. So what are they going to do to counter punch that? Only thing I can think of is combine the high schools but we all know that's not going to happen. So I don't know what the solution is.

I guess we'll continue to be average until something happens differently. I'm just tired of watching my eagles get beat like they stole something lol. I have no clue what's going on behind the scenes. I'm not hating on my own school. I just want to see them do better.
As an outsider it's 1 of about 3 things...1) You've hit a dead spot in your cycle of athletes. 2) Coaching 3) Losing athletes to other schools.
I don't see it being #3 based on the schools in your area like Emerald, they're terrible too. Laurens is terrible, 96 had a good season and maybe they're getting some of your athletes. Maybe you're losing some to Clinton & Abbeville but that's doubtful based on distance IMO. So, I'd look at coaching. Has the guy been there long enough to make changes, create interest in the program, etc? Idk anything about your coach but I do know the name GREENWOOD used to scare the crap out of teams. I also don't like to suggest anyone lose their job unless they aren't performing.

I keep posting and I'll keep on...you either go after Fountain at Clinton or Lybrand at Beaufort. Fountain is a great coach top to bottom. Look at his track record. He's trending upward. Someone bigger is going to get him. Lybrand has been trying to get out of Bfort. He's a Gwood guy, Dula disciple. Either could be your guy if you can get them.

I would say four things...#4....local economy. It's dead there....only thing saving Clinton is access to the interstate. No one is beating down the door to move to Greenwood. Until it's an attractive place to live or has the jobs (death of textiles sealed the fate of those communities that didn't branch out or re-brand for work options)...not going to have a steady stream of Jimmys and Joes of the elite category.

Fear The Fox...
The death of textile mills ruined a lot of small towns with rich history's. Look at 1A through 3A, its riddled with towns that are a shell of what the once were. From ware shoals and great falls to Clinton and Woodruff. That's just the upstate too. All of these schools face the same challenges as Greenwood, Greenwood faces them at a bigger scale because the competition is bigger in their classification. I think Liner does a good job at Greenwood. His record is 26-18 with playoff bids every year. Northwestern seems to be the show stopper each time. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is Greenwood football give him time and he will win.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

StateChampsGHS wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:08 pm
northside knight wrote:
Greenwood is a great place to live. No one talks about the communities around Lake Greenwood like Stoney Point, Grand Harbor, Puckett's Ferry and many more. No one talks about the North end of Greenwood either only the hoods and gangs of Greenwood. The hoods and gangs is only a small fragment of the whole population in Greenwood County. It's just the center of attention because of the news.
How many athletes are coming from those nice neighborhoods?