Realignment Appeals

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
mikey
Gaffney Indians

Re: Realignment Appeals

Post by mikey »

Atown97 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:43 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:52 pm
*Topcat* wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:13 pm
Pigskin Poet wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:00 am
*Topcat* wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:17 am
96fanatic wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:19 pm
Hard to believe that Abbeville will appeal.
I hope not.
Was very surprised to see this. It could be beneficial to the other school sports overall, but, cannot imagine that anyone associated with the football program would want this to happen. As a fan, I can say I would not like it one bit. We will find out soon enough.
Heard they are appealing for travel purposes and they want to come down because they want to beat Dixie so bad. Heard Nickles doesn't mind staying in 2A but the coaches in the other sports want to be 1A.
Ok I give you the travel situation, but, I'm pretty confident that Dixie is not a factor, as far as football anyway. Lol! As far as football goes, Abbeville vs Dixie, C Falls, Ware Shoals, McCormick, and Thornwell??? That would be the most ridiculous, boring mismatches of any region in the state. Playoffs might be a little better after the first 3 or 4 rounds. Overall, it would just be a snoozer, rather play Clinton, Saluda, Chester, etc.
The amount of fans from the gate will more than equal any travel costs. Really it’s no further from those 2a schools to those 1a schools.
Yeah because traveling to Blacksburg Landrum Chesnee on a Thursday night JV football game has been ridiculous for 2yrs...Riding over 2hrs for a game is the wildest crap I've ever seen. So bad that basically had a 3 game region last year for JV to develop. Bunch of schools just canceled the trip to abbeville. I actually wished abbeville appealed the last alignment.
That is a haul I wouldn’t want to make sometimes twice a week in baseball..

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

Again, SC isn't big enough or geographically close enough to have 5A.

SC should have gone back to a 3A system and then split every sport for the playoffs.

But, what is the saying, logic doesn't get votes.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

bringthewood wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:50 pm

SC should have gone back to a 3A system and then split every sport for the playoffs.
This is the same way I feel

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

olguy73
No Team Affiliation

Post by olguy73 »

bringthewood wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:50 pm

But, what is the saying, logic doesn't get votes.
That's an interesting idea. I know NC did split before 2020 (4a with each classification split into small and big, so 8 total champions. They only did it for football though)

My problem with the split is two folded, it inherently creates a problem that classification seek to eliminate (big vs small, haves vs have nots), also it water downs the playoffs. In this scenario, we would go from crowning 5 champions (which historically has always been done, big 16 etc...) to 6, presuming you are advocating each classification splitting in the playoffs.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

3A with a split for the playoffs solves the 2 issues that come from the appeals
1- size difference
2- travel

1- Everyone would have to play the regular season based on the alignment, but come playoff time each division would into a 'big 16' (or 32 if you have 5 weeks of playoffs) and 'little 16/32'. So you compete with similar sized schools in the playoffs, and the big vs little is determined at the end of the season, not before. So there could be some schools that could wind up in the 'big' playoffs one year and the 'little' the next.

2- With a larger pool to pull from for each classification, it makes it easier to groups regions closer together.

Also, before the 5A we have now, SC was crowing 7 champions in football.

Another plus of 3A is that it would be consistent for ALL sports.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

"water down the playoffs"

My thoughts...

(1) We currently (as of 2023) had 32 of 35 AAAAA teams in the playoffs, I don't think it could be much more "watered down" than that.

(2) So what if we give out 6 trophies, does that make those players that won a trophy feel any less excited? Who is the person who decides if one of the trophies is "more important than the other"? Did the AAA Champion this year deserve a trophy less than the AAAAA champion? Do you think the A trophy means anything to those teams?

(3) And this is the most important one... it's more football for the fans, players, and coaches and that is what it all about.

Abbeville fans are just as proud of their trophy case as Dutch Fork fans. Gaffney fans count trophies from multiple classifications. It doesn't have to be from the largest classification to be important. If it did, we would only have one classification!

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:52 pm

My thoughts...

(1) We currently (as of 2023) had 32 of 35 AAAAA teams in the playoffs, I don't think it could be much more "watered down" than that.

(2) So what if we give out 6 trophies, does that make those players that won a trophy feel any less excited? Who is the person who decides if one of the trophies is "more important than the other"? Did the AAA Champion this year deserve a trophy less than the AAAAA champion? Do you think the A trophy means anything to those teams?

(3) And this is the most important one... it's more football for the fans, players, and coaches and that is what it all about.

Abbeville fans are just as proud of their trophy case as Dutch Fork fans. Gaffney fans count trophies from multiple classifications. It doesn't have to be from the largest classification to be important. If it did, we would only have one classification!
Perfect. One Classification...8 game season, 128 teams in the playoffs...first round games in triple digits. Excellent.

Fear The Fox...

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:52 pm

My thoughts...

I Think this will be the first year Gaffney will compete for the title in any classification that wasn’t considered the largest..i could be wrong..

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

7timechamps wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:45 am
SCHSL executive committee votes 9-5 to deny Abbeville's appeal. Abbeville has 24 hours to decide if wants to appeal to appellate panel on Thursday or Friday
Any updates?

EHSMeanGreen
Easley Green Wave

Post by EHSMeanGreen »

*Topcat* wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:07 pm
7timechamps wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:45 am
SCHSL executive committee votes 9-5 to deny Abbeville's appeal. Abbeville has 24 hours to decide if wants to appeal to appellate panel on Thursday or Friday
Any updates?
Appeal to appellate panel on Friday.