Realignment Appeals

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Re: Realignment Appeals

Post by *Topcat* »

EHSMeanGreen wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:19 pm
*Topcat* wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:07 pm
7timechamps wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:45 am
SCHSL executive committee votes 9-5 to deny Abbeville's appeal. Abbeville has 24 hours to decide if wants to appeal to appellate panel on Thursday or Friday
Any updates?
Appeal to appellate panel on Friday.
Ok thanks. Any future updates are appreciated. As a long time avid fan of Abbevile Football, taking into account all other sports besides football and the arguments to be made, I can say that for us to have to play in 1A next season in football would seem downright silly, boring, uninteresting and a big gate killer.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Ha....of course Abbeville's appealing...only way ole Jamie can keep pace with TK....lol

Fear The Fox...

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 am
Ha....of course Abbeville's appealing...only way ole Jamie can keep pace with TK....lol

Fear The Fox...
What’s rich is that the Abbeville/Gray deal several years ago was really the jump off point for all this realignment.
Now Abbeville got what they wanted and Gray got gone but because of the numbers it pushed Clinton and Chester down to 2a. Now they need to go to 1a because of girls jv basketball and the like. LOL

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

DFOLDMAN wrote:

Fear The Fox...
If Abbeville goes to 1A it will be TK who will be trying to keep up. For the record I hope we don't. There are way more teams in 5A that can compete with DK, than there are in 1A that can play with us.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Ddub14 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:02 pm
DFOLDMAN wrote:

Fear The Fox...
What’s rich is that the Abbeville/Gray deal several years ago was really the jump off point for all this realignment.
Now Abbeville got what they wanted and Gray got gone but because of the numbers it pushed Clinton and Chester down to 2a. Now they need to go to 1a because of girls jv basketball and the like. LOL
Not sure exactly what that deal you speak of was, there were a lot of folks complaining about the advantages that the collegiate schools had over the regular district schools. Abbeville was 2-2 vs Gray and beat Oceanside last year. Not afraid of Clinton or Chester, have played them in recent history non-region games. Have played Westside and BHP as well. I'm sure we would play Daniel if we could the game. Of course I'm talking football not JV basketball.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Atown97 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:43 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:52 pm
*Topcat* wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:13 pm
Pigskin Poet wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:00 am
*Topcat* wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:17 am
96fanatic wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:19 pm
Hard to believe that Abbeville will appeal.
I hope not.
Was very surprised to see this. It could be beneficial to the other school sports overall, but, cannot imagine that anyone associated with the football program would want this to happen. As a fan, I can say I would not like it one bit. We will find out soon enough.
Heard they are appealing for travel purposes and they want to come down because they want to beat Dixie so bad. Heard Nickles doesn't mind staying in 2A but the coaches in the other sports want to be 1A.
Ok I give you the travel situation, but, I'm pretty confident that Dixie is not a factor, as far as football anyway. Lol! As far as football goes, Abbeville vs Dixie, C Falls, Ware Shoals, McCormick, and Thornwell??? That would be the most ridiculous, boring mismatches of any region in the state. Playoffs might be a little better after the first 3 or 4 rounds. Overall, it would just be a snoozer, rather play Clinton, Saluda, Chester, etc.
The amount of fans from the gate will more than equal any travel costs. Really it’s no further from those 2a schools to those 1a schools.
Yeah because traveling to Blacksburg Landrum Chesnee on a Thursday night JV football game has been ridiculous for 2yrs...Riding over 2hrs for a game is the wildest crap I've ever seen. So bad that basically had a 3 game region last year for JV to develop. Bunch of schools just canceled the trip to abbeville. I actually wished abbeville appealed the last alignment.
Don't see how would it help going to 1A in a region where several of the schools probably don't even have JV football. Heck the JV would playing the second half of every varsity region game in that scenario. That might be some good competition.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

*Topcat* wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:50 pm
Atown97 wrote:
Ddub14 wrote:
*Topcat* wrote:
Pigskin Poet wrote:
*Topcat* wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:17 am

Was very surprised to see this. It could be beneficial to the other school sports overall, but, cannot imagine that anyone associated with the football program would want this to happen. As a fan, I can say I would not like it one bit. We will find out soon enough.
Heard they are appealing for travel purposes and they want to come down because they want to beat Dixie so bad. Heard Nickles doesn't mind staying in 2A but the coaches in the other sports want to be 1A.
Ok I give you the travel situation, but, I'm pretty confident that Dixie is not a factor, as far as football anyway. Lol! As far as football goes, Abbeville vs Dixie, C Falls, Ware Shoals, McCormick, and Thornwell??? That would be the most ridiculous, boring mismatches of any region in the state. Playoffs might be a little better after the first 3 or 4 rounds. Overall, it would just be a snoozer, rather play Clinton, Saluda, Chester, etc.
The amount of fans from the gate will more than equal any travel costs. Really it’s no further from those 2a schools to those 1a schools.
Yeah because traveling to Blacksburg Landrum Chesnee on a Thursday night JV football game has been ridiculous for 2yrs...Riding over 2hrs for a game is the wildest crap I've ever seen. So bad that basically had a 3 game region last year for JV to develop. Bunch of schools just canceled the trip to abbeville. I actually wished abbeville appealed the last alignment.
Don't see how would it help going to 1A in a region where several of the schools probably don't even have JV football. Heck the JV would playing the second half of every varsity region game in that scenario. That might be some good competition.
I just hope If Abbeville goes to 1a
96 and Abbeville will still play each other.
in the non region schedule .I think they
will but who knows .I think the only team
that 96 has played more games with than
Abbeville is Saluda.

TIM
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Post by TIM »

Abbeville trying to get to 1A probably has more to do with the brackets and homefield advantage than it does being scared. i've never seen a team have homefield in the playoffs as much as abbeville! Nickels probably scoped out 1A-3A brackets for the next two years and 1A for Abbeville's region would be home all the way thru! :lol:

7timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 7timechamps »

James Island denied.. Abbeville up!
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

96fanatic wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:27 am
*Topcat* wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:50 pm
Atown97 wrote:
Ddub14 wrote:
*Topcat* wrote:
Pigskin Poet wrote:

I just hope If Abbeville goes to 1a
96 and Abbeville will still play each other.
in the non region schedule .I think they
will but who knows .I think the only team
that 96 has played more games with than
Abbeville is Saluda.
I'm sure they will. As a long, long time fan and booster, supporter of Atown it's a sad day for me. Fans have no voice in the workings of high school sports, but, we do buy the tickets. They likely just lost some of my ticket money, I will not attend a farce of a game between Atown and teams such as C falls, W Shoals, Dixie, even Thornwell??? Whatever view you have, everybody knows that Football around here is King, it's the gravy train. This will be a major hit to the gravy train ticket gate, hope the powers that be understand that aspect, and, didn't just cave to pressure from non revenue sports. They don't make money but it takes money to have them. I'm all for every sport they play, but, economics does come into play. Abbeville has a great team coming back this year that could compete with anybody in AA and far beyond. As a fan, to go from the prospect of playing the likes of S Thurmond, Clinton, Saluda, Chester to playing against basically no competition is very, very disappointing. It's all about competition. Not to mention the fan interest in those games vs what we have now. It is a bad move IMO.