Abbeville Down to 1A

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Re: Abbeville Down to 1A

Post by *Topcat* »

So looks like the arguments for moving down to 1A included that perhaps the committee was leaning too much on the success of the football program as reason for the initial denial. Now the program that has won 6 titles in 9 years in AA will compete in A class, where the 2 or 3 best teams previous, have been moved up. This is a mess, makes no sense. Maybe the system should think about re-structering the classes, have more classes and cut the playoffs to 4 rounds. Maybe have 6 or 7 classifications, IDK. I do know most 1st round playoffs games seem unnecessary. There has been talk of something like this by some people on here.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

*Topcat* wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:12 pm
So looks like the arguments for moving down to 1A included that perhaps the committee was leaning too much on the success of the football program as reason for the initial denial. Now the program that has won 6 titles in 9 years in AA will compete in A class, where the 2 or 3 best teams previous, have been moved up. This is a mess, makes no sense. Maybe the system should think about re-structering the classes, have more classes and cut the playoffs to 4 rounds. Maybe have 6 or 7 classifications, IDK. I do know most 1st round playoffs games seem unnecessary. There has been talk of something like this by some people on here.
Georgia now has 7 classifications
6A 5A 4A 3A 2A 1A Division 1 AND 1A division 2
Lincolnton is in 1a division 2

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

Emerald wouldn't be able to beat Abbeville in football or boys basketball if they played.

Future 4A school versus 1A school. I simply cannot believe EHS didn't appeal to try in stay in 3A. They'll have a bottom three program in football and basketball in 4A. Give it a couple years and that 9th grade academy dream will become a reality.

(And yes, I understand the move was made due to travel costs + giving them a shot in other sports.)

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

The travel cost argument, I'm just not buying that one. We have played non region games in Dorchester County recently, had one scheduled at Hartsville that was cancelled due to weather. Speaking of Emerald, they are 14 miles away, we played since the inception of Emerald, and, suddenly it stopped. Very little travel costs there. ????? Last time we were in Class A, we did win one softball title, along with football, so there's that.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

*Topcat* wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:30 am
The travel cost argument, I'm just not buying that one. We have played non region games in Dorchester County recently, had one scheduled at Hartsville that was cancelled due to weather. Speaking of Emerald, they are 14 miles away, we played since the inception of Emerald, and, suddenly it stopped. Very little travel costs there. ????? Last time we were in Class A, we did win one softball title, along with football, so there's that.
Emerald won’t play Abbeville anymore because Tad already loses enough games

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

*Topcat* wrote:
Also something to consider , what if the other schools in Abbeville’s region just decide they aren’t going to take the a** whipping and give them the Gray treatment. The schsl has basically already said no harm no foul on that. They didn’t penalize anyone for it except the whole state with this multiplier rule , that doesn’t solve the real problem.
Just good for thought. If it did happen Abbeville could then go and schedule better outside opponents so there is that.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Ddub14 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:51 am
*Topcat* wrote:
Also something to consider , what if the other schools in Abbeville’s region just decide they aren’t going to take the a** whipping and give them the Gray treatment. The schsl has basically already said no harm no foul on that. They didn’t penalize anyone for it except the whole state with this multiplier rule , that doesn’t solve the real problem.
Just good for thought. If it did happen Abbeville could then go and schedule better outside opponents so there is that.
That would be a total blessing friend. The Region as I look at it has Abbeville and 6 others for football, none of which had a winning record last year playing in Class A. So we play 6 region games against some of the worst teams in 1A. Thornwell lost to all of the region by huge scores. For us to play them in football, if true, is a complete joke. Should not happen, Same for the rest of them, not a football school in the bunch. I guess its all about everything but football now. Hope the other sports come through, the decision makers have certainly sacrificed what could have been a very exciting football season into a bunch of nothing burger games that will be over before they start. What fun is that? I guess for the good of all other sports??? I fear some of our better players may think about going and playing for Dixie, simply for the challenge, to get to play a full game, for the competition. What fun is it going to be sitting on the sidelines for the 2nd half of every game, nobody much left in the stands. You can argue it was bad in our present region, and, it was, but if you think that was bad just wait. Every team in our present region would beat anybody we will have in region next year. And then the playoffs, more cake walks. Sad really. Should have let it be.

Panther51
Abbeville Panthers

Post by Panther51 »

It is bad for football in general….not just Abbeville football but SCHSL in general…… i tried to warn everyone that the multiplier would put Abbeville in 1A….. was happy with the original class list, but never dreamed we would petition for 1A. I had a few conversations with coaches from multiple different sports and they all supported the petition but I am not sure if I think it will help. For instance, one of the arguments was that there were only 6 girls on the varsity basketball team this year. Even in 1A there would still only be 6 girls on the team. Lowering classification will not miraculously increase participation. I do not buy the travel argument either or should I say agree with. I have played sports for or followed athletics at Abbeville for many decades and there were always a school or 3 outside the 1 hour circle in our region. I will forever bleed Garnet and Gold and will always support our teams and coaches but disagree with this move. With dwindling enrollment we were destined for 1A in the next couple of realignments anyway…….should have held on to a couple more years in 2A.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Panther51 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:20 am
It is bad for football in general….not just Abbeville football but SCHSL in general…… i tried to warn everyone that the multiplier would put Abbeville in 1A….. was happy with the original class list, but never dreamed we would petition for 1A. I had a few conversations with coaches from multiple different sports and they all supported the petition but I am not sure if I think it will help. For instance, one of the arguments was that there were only 6 girls on the varsity basketball team this year. Even in 1A there would still only be 6 girls on the team. Lowering classification will not miraculously increase participation. I do not buy the travel argument either or should I say agree with. I have played sports for or followed athletics at Abbeville for many decades and there were always a school or 3 outside the 1 hour circle in our region. I will forever bleed Garnet and Gold and will always support our teams and coaches but disagree with this move. With dwindling enrollment we were destined for 1A in the next couple of realignments anyway…….should have held on to a couple more years in 2A.
Totally agree. It is questionable as to how much it may help with other sports, the travel issue is suspect, plus for us to basically beg to move down is a very bad look, IMO. Even if it does benefit other sports, it probably will to some extent as the region is full of little schools with limited athletic success. The question is whether it is worth it to drastically diminish the value of the Football schedule, really, the whole Football season, IMO. We all know that Football is the unchallenged Flagship sport around this town. After the first 3 or so games, find me one game where our starters won't be pulled by halftime with a running clock in 2nd half. Instead of likely battling Clinton for a Region crown, we will be battling to try and not run up too bad of a score on somebody, even deep into playoffs. I feel bad for the coaches and players, anything less than a State Title will be considered a major disappointment. Winning it will not be a big deal either, unfortunately, because I'm not sure there is a competitive game to be found in the present Class A of football. As a long time very loyal supporter, this situation is very frustrating to me. Not sure what the opinion will be of it as it becomes known, but, I do not approve at all.