Abbeville Down to 1A

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
7timechamps
Daniel Lions

Abbeville Down to 1A

Post by 7timechamps »

Appellate panel votes 4-3 in favor of Abbeville's appeal to go from 2A to Class A.

State Championships on deck incoming!
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Re: Abbeville Down to 1A

Post by *Topcat* »

Ticket sales for football just crashed, hope they know that. Football is the gravy train here, everyone knows this. Non revenue sports are great but they don't pay the bills. I would hope that it was not the Football program personnel pushing this. Big mistake, IMO.

7timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 7timechamps »

*Topcat* wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:40 am
Ticket sales for football just crashed, hope they know that. Football is the gravy train here, everyone knows this. Non revenue sports are great but they don't pay the bills. I would hope that it was not the Football program personnel pushing this. Big mistake, IMO.
Yeah I agree. Based on their argument it didn't seem like football was the driving factor. They talked mostly about how every other sport didn't have good numbers, even declining numbers. And said the travel argument we've already discussed. The Abbeville admin talked about how pretty much the only points they get in the Carlisle Cup come from football.
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

7timechamps wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:45 am
*Topcat* wrote:
Yeah I agree. Based on their argument it didn't seem like football was the driving factor. They talked mostly about how every other sport didn't have good numbers, even declining numbers. And said the travel argument we've already discussed. The Abbeville admin talked about how pretty much the only points they get in the Carlisle Cup come from football.
Yep. I figured as much. Politics and caving. The world we live in. I am all for the other sports, but, the weight of the football program is more than all the other combined....x10.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

So the voters basically just doomed every other 1A football program in the state. Wonder if they even think about such things. That is sad to me. It's called competitive sports.
Last edited by *Topcat* on Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

*Topcat* wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:00 pm
7timechamps wrote:
*Topcat* wrote:
Yep. I figured as much. Politics and caving. The world we live in. I am all for the other sports, but, the weight of the football program is more than all the other combined....x10.
LOL....Jamie gets to keep pace with Knotts after all....

Fear The Fox...

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:08 pm
*Topcat* wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:00 pm
7timechamps wrote:
*Topcat* wrote:
LOL....Jamie gets to keep pace with Knotts after all....

Fear The Fox...
He will surpass him now.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Ware Shoals and Dixie prepare for some serious whuppin's

Fear The Fox...

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Can we appeal the appeal please.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

I respect Abbeville for it's lengthy football success. But it's hard for me to respect this move when you've had success where you are in 2A.