Abbeville Down to 1A

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Re: Abbeville Down to 1A

Post by 96fanatic »

A-town has not had many bad seasons
in their history. Even won a state championship
in 3a back in the 70's . their 12 u rec. ball team
won the state championship last year . If they
stay in 1a for a few years they probably will
set the recork for state championships including
the ones they already have.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

eagle93 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:54 pm
I respect Abbeville for it's lengthy football success. But it's hard for me to respect this move when you've had success where you are in 2A.
Apparently it's more about the other sports. But is it worth it to maybe, and, I say maybe, make the other sports a little more competitive? I think it's a very bad move.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

96fanatic wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:13 pm
You're exactly right. It won't mean as much though. I say that as a big fan too.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

I suspect in a couple of years we will be appealing to get back in AA. Begging. There are only a few people who get to make these decisions, unfortunately.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

*Topcat* wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:17 pm
96fanatic wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:13 pm
You're exactly right. It won't mean as much though, well I speak only for myself. I say that as a big fan too.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

*Topcat* wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:15 pm
eagle93 wrote:
I respect Abbeville for it's lengthy football success. But it's hard for me to respect this move when you've had success where you are in 2A.
Apparently it's more about the other sports. But is it worth it to maybe, and, I say maybe, make the other sports a little more competitive? I think it's a very bad move.
Without a successful football program bringing in the money all the other sports will suffer even more. It’s about time for a lot of these smaller schools to address their numbers and start to think about going to county wise schools or at least a split county school.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Ddub14 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:40 pm
*Topcat* wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:15 pm
eagle93 wrote:
Without a successful football program bringing in the money all the other sports will suffer even more. It’s about time for a lot of these smaller schools to address their numbers and start to think about going to county wise schools or at least a split county school.
Good point. Not going to happen in Abbeville. One reason for the decline in AHS numbers, down to 1A level, is likely that some who would normally go to school here, are at Dixie. Well, that's what I hear. Is that true? If true, how ironic that they will now be in same region. Good luck with that Dixie.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

So whether you agree, disagree, think its right or wrong, for Abbeville to be in 1A, after seemingly pleading and pleading for the move, I will say this. Abbeville is a football town, football school, it is the unchallenged King of sports around here. Everybody knows this. The other sports are great, I hope they benefit from this, but, I have my doubts. Will some of these other schools we will be in Region with even have JV teams, or, other non revenue sports? Abbeville has a very, very good football team coming back this year. This season was set to be a possibly epic year, with some great match-ups, especially in the playoffs. Big crowds and great games, great atmosphere. This move to 1A Has reduced that to a few good pre-region games, then a LONG string of total blowouts, mismatches, running clocks, even deep into playoffs, maybe all the way through. Christ Church won the 1A state game by over 40 points.. Are we really going to play Calhoun Falls in region football? No disrespect but Good Grief. Say it ain't so. Please. Yes the numbers say we could be in 1A, but, I feel sorry for the many real, true, avid Atown football fans. the road warriors, that go to all the games. I feel bad for the players and coaches. Our best players will only get to play maybe half a game, or, we will be running up some scores terribly bad. What fun is that? I am pretty sure that our JV team would do quite well against some of these teams varsity units. Its just the truth. I hope its worth it. What was once shaping up as a potential very fun and interesting season has been reduced to a bunch running clock blowouts. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, its a sad to me.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

No disrespect to anyone, but the move down for the 'Ville is a smart one for the school. The travel aspect as well as the overall competition aspect for the whole athletic department probably was the right move.

The JV argument is really just a football one, as most 1A schools have a JV that in bigger schools would be either middle school or freshman ball. In collision sports 7th/8th graders can't play varsity so those numbers can't play up. JV basketball, soccer, softball.... etc.... for 1A is filled with middle school kids.

It's obvious that the county isn't going to consolidate Dixie into a county wide school with the new building going on in Due West, not they could ever do so since Dixie props up the county's state report card. Regardless the political cost of that is/has been is too high, even higher than the move in Calhoun Falls especially since all the mills closed.

One needs to take in the bigger picture. The STATE of SC is changing fast. There are some municipalities that are growing hand over fist. Remember Abbeville is the only school in the state to win a 3A, 2A, and a 1A title (and all the split division titles). As recently as 1971 the 'Ville won a AAA title by beating top division teams like Woodmont, Westside, Irmo, and Laurens.

If you don't live near an interstate highway your town isn't going to change, but the other towns you grew up knowing that are close to one are going to change. And change rapidly.

Not to mention some of the other stuff like NIL and open enrollment that ARE going to happen to high school sports are going to make change.

The landscape has changed, and isn't going back. Abbeville fans should enjoy the special atmosphere that is fall Friday nights: putting out your blanket to reserve your seat spot, eating a couple dogs at the Rough House before heading to the stadium, and kids playing paper cup football at the bottom of the hill.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

bringthewood wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:34 pm
No disrespect to anyone, but the move down for the 'Ville is a smart one for the school. The travel aspect as well as the overall competition aspect for the whole athletic department probably was the right move.

The JV argument is really just a football one, as most 1A schools have a JV that in bigger schools would be either middle school or freshman ball. In collision sports 7th/8th graders can't play varsity so those numbers can't play up. JV basketball, soccer, softball.... etc.... for 1A is filled with middle school kids.

It's obvious that the county isn't going to consolidate Dixie into a county wide school with the new building going on in Due West, not they could ever do so since Dixie props up the county's state report card. Regardless the political cost of that is/has been is too high, even higher than the move in Calhoun Falls especially since all the mills closed.

One needs to take in the bigger picture. The STATE of SC is changing fast. There are some municipalities that are growing hand over fist. Remember Abbeville is the only school in the state to win a 3A, 2A, and a 1A title (and all the split division titles). As recently as 1971 the 'Ville won a AAA title by beating top division teams like Woodmont, Westside, Irmo, and Laurens.

If you don't live near an interstate highway your town isn't going to change, but the other towns you grew up knowing that are close to one are going to change. And change rapidly.

Not to mention some of the other stuff like NIL and open enrollment that ARE going to happen to high school sports are going to make change.

The landscape has changed, and isn't going back. Abbeville fans should enjoy the special atmosphere that is fall Friday nights: putting out your blanket to reserve your seat spot, eating a couple dogs at the Rough House before heading to the stadium, and kids playing paper cup football at the bottom of the hill.
The AAA Title was won by beating Clinton regular season, then Irmo, Pickens, and Pageland in the playoffs. Well, those were the contenders, anyway.