5A & 4A Regions & Playoff Quick Look

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Re: AAAAA Regions & Playoff Quick Look

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Ddub14 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:15 pm
DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:09 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:51 pm
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:30 am
Greerfan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:03 pm
So theoretically Gaffney, Spartanburg and Dutch Fork could all be in the lower 5A division? Sheeeesh
One thing that we all are going to have to get over are the words LOWER, DIVISION TWO, etc.

The size of your school population determines that not the quality of the football program.

Does anyone doubt that Abbeville is a top notch football program? They just happen to be in a smaller community and the school population puts them in Class A.

Regardless of the school population numbers, Dutch Fork is Dutch Fork! Does it really matter what is etched on the trophy? There have been years where I thought that the best team in the State was not in the largest classification and the first example that came to my mind was 2005. Gaffney was Division I AAAA but lost to the Division II champions. A couple of times, Northwestern could have been the best, same with South Pointe and I'm sure there are others that come to mind.
Last year is an example of this
The little 3a team was the best team in the state.
Blown mind in 3..2..1..
Correct, the 3A team was the best little team in the state....save maybe Oceanside...or Gray...maybe Abbeville....and one biscuit less, perhaps Camden.

Fear The Fox...
Broome called they said Spartanburg was meh!
They are.... lol. SC knows who their daddy is...and it ain't Fruster the Rooster. I know its a sad day in Cateechee and Six Mile knowing there will be no more football state titles for the blue and gold anymore, ever, period, dot...but hey, life goes on, right Dub? Hey you still have competitive cheer, and band...stuff like that, chin up....volleyball...oh wait, Pickens is there, never mind.

Fear The Fox...

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:21 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
DFOLDMAN wrote:
Ddub14 wrote:
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Greerfan1 wrote:
So theoretically Gaffney, Spartanburg and Dutch Fork could all be in the lower 5A division? Sheeeesh
One thing that we all are going to have to get over are the words LOWER, DIVISION TWO, etc.

The size of your school population determines that not the quality of the football program.

Does anyone doubt that Abbeville is a top notch football program? They just happen to be in a smaller community and the school population puts them in Class A.

Regardless of the school population numbers, Dutch Fork is Dutch Fork! Does it really matter what is etched on the trophy? There have been years where I thought that the best team in the State was not in the largest classification and the first example that came to my mind was 2005. Gaffney was Division I AAAA but lost to the Division II champions. A couple of times, Northwestern could have been the best, same with South Pointe and I'm sure there are others that come to mind.
Blown mind in 3..2..1..
Correct, the 3A team was the best little team in the state....save maybe Oceanside...or Gray...maybe Abbeville....and one biscuit less, perhaps Camden.

Fear The Fox...
They are.... lol. SC knows who their daddy is...and it ain't Fruster the Rooster. I know its a sad day in Cateechee and Six Mile knowing there will be no more football state titles for the blue and gold anymore, ever, period, dot...but hey, life goes on, right Dub? Hey you still have competitive cheer, and band...stuff like that, chin up....volleyball...oh wait, Pickens is there, never mind.

Fear The Fox...
I don’t know how you figure we won’t win in football anymore.
Statements like that show your ignorant about what’s really going on. Daniel will be better the next 4 years than the last 4 . The level of talent is not stopping. Daniel will be the favorite in upperstate 4a this year. Meanwhile DF is just one retirement away from being irrelevant again.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Ddub14 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:44 pm
Statements like that show your ignorant about what’s really going on. Daniel will be better the next 4 years than the last 4 . The level of talent is not stopping. Daniel will be the favorite in upperstate 4a this year. Meanwhile DF is just one retirement away from being irrelevant again.
*you're*

LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist....

We have a long way to go, how are the brackets going to be set up, who plays in what bracket, and more important.... what is the SCHSL going to throw at us next? Point system to set up the seeding??

I think they will go with 32 teams make the playoffs, with the top half of each region qualifying for the playoffs.
Two 8 team Regions - 4 x 2 = 8
Two 7 team Regions - 4 x 2 = 8
Four 6 team Regions - 3 x 4 = 12
That would leave 4 AT LARGE Teams (and how do they select them?)

Then you split the largest 16 teams and the smallest 16 teams (regardless of Upper State or Lower State) into Division 1 & 2. Now comes the "SEEDING" issues. You have 8 HOME TEAMS in each bracket and the Region Champs are not necessarily going to be evenly split between the Division 1 and Division 2 brackets. You could have a 5 & 3 split or a 6 & 2 so how do they set up the brackets? Back to the question above, will there be a points system of some sort to determine the seedings?

In the past, they seeded the Region Champions first, then the runner ups, and then the rest of the teams so a team that was a Region Champ with 35 points would be seeded above a Region Runner up with 37 points.

Bottom line, we have a long way to go and I'm sure there will be some things out of the SCHSL that leave us wondering...

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels

Re: 5A & 4A Regions & Playoff Quick Look

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

If they go to 16 team brackets, will 5A play an extra week like we used to do in the past or could they be thinking two 24 team brackets with the top 8 seeds getting a BYE in the first round of the playoffs?

Is 4A doing one 32 team bracket or are they going two divisions?

--

--

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:08 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:44 pm
*you're*

LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist....

We have a long way to go, how are the brackets going to be set up, who plays in what bracket, and more important.... what is the SCHSL going to throw at us next? Point system to set up the seeding??

I think they will go with 32 teams make the playoffs, with the top half of each region qualifying for the playoffs.
Two 8 team Regions - 4 x 2 = 8
Two 7 team Regions - 4 x 2 = 8
Four 6 team Regions - 3 x 4 = 12
That would leave 4 AT LARGE Teams (and how do they select them?)

Then you split the largest 16 teams and the smallest 16 teams (regardless of Upper State or Lower State) into Division 1 & 2. Now comes the "SEEDING" issues. You have 8 HOME TEAMS in each bracket and the Region Champs are not necessarily going to be evenly split between the Division 1 and Division 2 brackets. You could have a 5 & 3 split or a 6 & 2 so how do they set up the brackets? Back to the question above, will there be a points system of some sort to determine the seedings?

In the past, they seeded the Region Champions first, then the runner ups, and then the rest of the teams so a team that was a Region Champ with 35 points would be seeded above a Region Runner up with 37 points.

Bottom line, we have a long way to go and I'm sure there will be some things out of the SCHSL that leave us wondering...
Really? That’s what you got out of all that?
I mean city slicker is still on here right?
I got a long way to go to get to the bottom of the grammatical pecking order.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Ddub14 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:43 pm
Hey, it's been a while since I picked on you.... and you left the door wide open. I would never compare you to him....

What do you think of the playoff ideas that I proposed?

--

--

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Re: 5A & 4A Regions & Playoff Quick Look

Post by DFOLDMAN »

All I know is SCHSL has left me bumfuzzled, if that is word...lol
Still scratching my head over this realignment.

Fear The Fox...

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:20 am
Ddub14 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:43 pm
Hey, it's been a while since I picked on you.... and you left the door wide open. I would never compare you to him....

What do you think of the playoff ideas that I proposed?
I think it could work but it’s not worth addressing because the idiots of the schsl don’t even know how they are going to do it. That should’ve been figured out before ever setting any realignment or regions. Cart before the horse. They have $h!t the bed on this one. The chaos it has caused with non regions scheduling is just the first example. Meanwhile the problems that they were trying to solve , mainly penalties against out of zone students really doesn’t solve the problem of recruiting outside of your zone.

7timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 7timechamps »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:21 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
DFOLDMAN wrote:
Ddub14 wrote:
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Greerfan1 wrote:

Blown mind in 3..2..1..

Fear The Fox...

Fear The Fox...

If you think because Daniel is now in 4A (A 4A that feels like last year's 3A) that we somehow we will never win any more state titles you haven't been paying much attention. Daniel has built a program ready to last. Last year was Daniel's least talented varsity team since 2018, and most talented JV team coming up. Trust me, help is on the way and Daniel isn't going anywhere. Talent is there and mostly rising sophomores. This team is here to stay. Am I saying we will win 3 out of the next 4 with one loss? Heck no, but I am saying we will continue to be a perennial contender and I think we will win more state titles. This run is not done!

Also, pretty wild you're throwing out other sports being good like that's a bad thing. Go find the last year Daniel hasn't finished top 3-4 in the Carlisle Cup. It's a great athletic department in general.. Football and the rest of our sports will continue to thrive no matter who we play https://www.southcarolinaad.org/carlisle-cup
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!