Greenville High HC Applicants?

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Re: Greenville High HC Applicants?

Post by HoodRoad »

Ddub14 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:13 pm
HoodRoad wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:58 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:27 pm
Red Raiders 02 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:49 pm
HoodRoad wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:17 pm
Idk how he'd handle Greenville county or even want to but every time a decent job that comes up I'm putting the same guy's name out there...Corey Fountain, HC at Clinton. The guy is a proven winner, great coach and his players love him. IMO he's a rising star. Clinton dropping to 2A is boring. I'd at least make the phone call and let him tell me no. That '05 clientele is different and you have to be able to navigate well plus deal with the fact you're in the GCS.
I think he would be a great hire
Not if he runs the same offensive system
That won’t fly on the 5A level
The only program that has any success with it is TL Hanna and even they have a hard time advancing against athletic defensive teams that are able to read and react to it.
He would have to change his mindset to a more pro style or air raid style offense.
They actually throw it a little more than people think. They've dealt with some QB injuries that made them run heavy. Ddub you and I both know a guy that it would seem would be licking his chops to get the job at Greenville. Imagine the damage PJohnson could do with recruiting, money and the athletes they have at Greenville. He made a difference in one season at Woodmont now he's gone over to Hillcrest with Swygert. Like him or not he can get athletes and IMO he's not a bad coach.
He would be more of the same though. He’s a guy that can’t stay in one spot too long. I really thought when he was in walhalla his success only came from being able to recruit Seneca players . He would be able to recruit but coaching idk.
Going back to that offense though is a culture difference.
Clinton throws a little bit but only on opponents that they are usually superior than or have gotten up on. When they faced truly deep athletic teams they struggled and running that offense in 5A will get your qb and rbs beat up.
Also I do t think that style would go over well with the Greenville crowd. He’s a great coach and maybe he adapts and changes if they offer him the job.

It’ll be interesting but they better hurry up
Spring ball is right around the corner
Scoot Watson is hard at work
Def be interesting. Idk about today's times but back when I was growing up some of the kids at Greenville, Eastside, Mann and Southside, with a few thrown in from Berea and Carolina didn't get along and def couldn't function on athletic teams together. Kind of like Seneca and DWD kids and a few from Pendleton. It got heated on the West Side a few times.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

HoodRoad wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:00 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:13 pm
HoodRoad wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:58 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
Red Raiders 02 wrote:
HoodRoad wrote:
Idk how he'd handle Greenville county or even want to but every time a decent job that comes up I'm putting the same guy's name out there...Corey Fountain, HC at Clinton. The guy is a proven winner, great coach and his players love him. IMO he's a rising star. Clinton dropping to 2A is boring. I'd at least make the phone call and let him tell me no. That '05 clientele is different and you have to be able to navigate well plus deal with the fact you're in the GCS.
The only program that has any success with it is TL Hanna and even they have a hard time advancing against athletic defensive teams that are able to read and react to it.
He would have to change his mindset to a more pro style or air raid style offense.
They actually throw it a little more than people think. They've dealt with some QB injuries that made them run heavy. Ddub you and I both know a guy that it would seem would be licking his chops to get the job at Greenville. Imagine the damage PJohnson could do with recruiting, money and the athletes they have at Greenville. He made a difference in one season at Woodmont now he's gone over to Hillcrest with Swygert. Like him or not he can get athletes and IMO he's not a bad coach.
He would be more of the same though. He’s a guy that can’t stay in one spot too long. I really thought when he was in walhalla his success only came from being able to recruit Seneca players . He would be able to recruit but coaching idk.
Going back to that offense though is a culture difference.
Clinton throws a little bit but only on opponents that they are usually superior than or have gotten up on. When they faced truly deep athletic teams they struggled and running that offense in 5A will get your qb and rbs beat up.
Also I do t think that style would go over well with the Greenville crowd. He’s a great coach and maybe he adapts and changes if they offer him the job.

It’ll be interesting but they better hurry up
Spring ball is right around the corner
Scoot Watson is hard at work
Def be interesting. Idk about today's times but back when I was growing up some of the kids at Greenville, Eastside, Mann and Southside, with a few thrown in from Berea and Carolina didn't get along and def couldn't function on athletic teams together. Kind of like Seneca and DWD kids and a few from Pendleton. It got heated on the West Side a few times.
Back in the day you didn’t associate with the enemy
Nowadays though these kids know every kid at every school. I’ll take my boys to places and they know people from snap chat social media. They hang out go to sleepovers the whole deal. Greenville Wade Mann Eastside even cc and st Joe’s kids know each other, like each other and hang out together.

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Post by HoodRoad »

Nowadays though these kids know every kid at every school. I’ll take my boys to places and they know people from snap chat social media. They hang out go to sleepovers the whole deal. Greenville Wade Mann Eastside even cc and st Joe’s kids know each other, like each other and hang out together.
[/quote]

Right! LOL...I can name a kid and my son usually replies "Yeah we follow each other on Snap or Insta..." I grew up in Berea, before the invasion, went to elementary downtown, had friends of all colors and social status. I picked up a buddy of mine that lived near downtown and was planning to go to another guy's house in West Greenville. I'll never forget when one said "nah I don't go over there unless I have my people with me. They don't come over here either." The 90's were def wild. A kid from Hanna shot one of my homeboys after a football game at Berea. Crazy times thank goodness I survived!

7timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 7timechamps »

HoodRoad wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm
Right! LOL...I can name a kid and my son usually replies "Yeah we follow each other on Snap or Insta..." I grew up in Berea, before the invasion, went to elementary downtown, had friends of all colors and social status. I picked up a buddy of mine that lived near downtown and was planning to go to another guy's house in West Greenville. I'll never forget when one said "nah I don't go over there unless I have my people with me. They don't come over here either." The 90's were def wild. A kid from Hanna shot one of my homeboys after a football game at Berea. Crazy times thank goodness I survived!
[/quote]

"Before the invasion" :lol:
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

icoachfb53
No Team Affiliation

Post by icoachfb53 »

P Johnson has 1 thing the 05ers would like ......... MONEY! As far as coaching he isn't it. He won at Walhalla when he raided Seneca. Once Crane arrived, the pipeline died and he was a loser. But his $$$$$$$$$$ recruits. Why do you think Woodmont got new uniforms for the first time in centuries?

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Post by HoodRoad »

icoachfb53 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:01 am
P Johnson has 1 thing the 05ers would like ......... MONEY! As far as coaching he isn't it. He won at Walhalla when he raided Seneca. Once Crane arrived, the pipeline died and he was a loser. But his $$$$$$$$$$ recruits. Why do you think Woodmont got new uniforms for the first time in centuries?
That's true about him as a HC but I've heard he's a decent Asst. When I found out he was going to Woodmont I told folks they'll get better. If there's athletes in the halls not playing he'll get them out there. Maybe I'm wrong. He's at Hillcrest now so at least Woodmont benefited from his short time there. Sometimes nice things like new uniforms puts a spark into the kids along with changing offensive philosophy.

Footballmaniac
No Team Affiliation

Post by Footballmaniac »

Heard Randy Birch (DC at Gaffney) might be in the mix for the head job.

Blister
No Team Affiliation

Post by Blister »

What job is he not in the mix for?

Footballmaniac
No Team Affiliation

Post by Footballmaniac »

Ddub14 wrote:
Red Raiders 02 wrote:
HoodRoad wrote:
The argument about the offensive system is pretty irrelevant here. The same can be said about the Greenville offense. Most talented team in the state and not even play for a state championship. Corey Fountain is winner, and he will win at any level. TL Hanna has produced a lot of wins since they've switched to their offense. At the of the day, you gotta win in all facets of the game (Special Teams, Defense, and Offense).

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Footballmaniac wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:30 am
Ddub14 wrote:
Red Raiders 02 wrote:
HoodRoad wrote:
The argument about the offensive system is pretty irrelevant here. The same can be said about the Greenville offense. Most talented team in the state and not even play for a state championship. Corey Fountain is winner, and he will win at any level. TL Hanna has produced a lot of wins since they've switched to their offense. At the of the day, you gotta win in all facets of the game (Special Teams, Defense, and Offense).
I never said Fountain was a bad coach. He’s a great coach .
But that system would not go over well with the Greenville crowd. The reason they had all that talent was because of the coach and the system he ran. Bennett Sapp , and Brown aren’t coming to Greenville to run the triple option. Furthermore the situations are totally different. When Hanna went to that system they were hungry for success and willing to do whatever it took. Greenville has been to back to back upper state championships.
On this we will just have to agree to disagree