Abbeville 2024 Schedule

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Re: Abbeville 2024 Schedule

Post by *Topcat* »

Any word on some possible Region forfeits yet? :roll: So maybe we can schedule some actual games of interest. Wishful thinking. Football season is not going to be the same this year. It's unfortunate. Obviously didn't have to come to this. Simply cannot wrap my head around the decisions made. I am not alone on this I can assure.

Atown97
Abbeville Panthers

Post by Atown97 »

*Topcat* wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:51 pm
Any word on some possible Region forfeits yet? :roll: So maybe we can schedule some actual games of interest. Wishful thinking. Football season is not going to be the same this year. It's unfortunate. Obviously didn't have to come to this. Simply cannot wrap my head around the decisions made. I am not alone on this I can assure.
🤣🤣🤣We are Here now TopCat....🗣Go Panthers

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Atown97 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:31 pm
*Topcat* wrote:
I feel for the Abbeville fans but for the last 4/5 years there was a lot of talk about the unfair advantages of charter and private schools mainly coming from the 1a&2a schools. It’s ironic that the rule to fix that problem has resulted in pushing Abbeville into the 1a ranks. And in the end the recruiting problem still hasn’t been addressed. It’s still being done on a regular basis and I think in some ways it will help schools like gray and Oceanside recruit even more. Congratulations on setting the all time scoring record this year.

Atown97
Abbeville Panthers

Post by Atown97 »

Ddub14 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:04 pm
Atown97 wrote:
*Topcat* wrote:
I feel for the Abbeville fans but for the last 4/5 years there was a lot of talk about the unfair advantages of charter and private schools mainly coming from the 1a&2a schools. It’s ironic that the rule to fix that problem has resulted in pushing Abbeville into the 1a ranks. And in the end the recruiting problem still hasn’t been addressed. It’s still being done on a regular basis and I think in some ways it will help schools like gray and Oceanside recruit even more. Congratulations on setting the all time scoring record this year.
Abbeville in a whole is very very unique. 1st off I can promise you the class program that Coach Nickles, Coach Belton and Those Fellas run they will not ever run the score up. It's been a struggle for the Football to schedule opponents for many years. It's just a problem that comes with being the standard of small town schools. The unfair advantages of Charter/Private schools actually are up to par with other states. Georgia dealt with this head on many years ago. Abbeville is next to Elbert/ Lincoln County, GA....Lincoln County is probably one of the most winning Smaller schools in Georgia. They found out 1st hand dealing with charter schools over 10yrs ago. South Carolina just been behind with the multiplier. I was disappointed in dropping down until I went to Middle school game and talked to some coaches. This is actually gonna be our biggest numbers for the next few years. Sad to say 1A is our new home for a few years. It is what it is now Go Panthers

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Should have waited for the next two years. If it became inevitable at that time then so be it. We were placed in AA, borderline between A and AA. We appealed, and appealed to get into A. We should have let it be for now. It's not going to be much fun. Feel sorry for the players mostly, many of better players will not see much action in most games. What kind of fun is that? It's a bad look and a bad decision, IMO. After the first several games there will be a long string of unwatchable, uninteresting, complete mismatches. I sure hope the "other" sports reap some benefits because it a great big negative for football. Even if they do benefit somewhat, is that a good trade off? Doubtful.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Abbeville @ Calhoun Falls in football. :x Never thought I would see that day again. CF only has about 90 students, can barely field a football team. It's just really a sad reality if this game even happens. What's even worse is the 2 games CF won last year were against Thornwell. Beat them badly, and, we're playing Thornwell as well, according to the schedule. It would be funny, except it's just not. It's sad. There's no fun in winning total mismatches, we have a slew of them coming now. More than ever before by far.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Atown97 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:21 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
Atown97 wrote:
*Topcat* wrote:
Abbeville in a whole is very very unique. 1st off I can promise you the class program that Coach Nickles, Coach Belton and Those Fellas run they will not ever run the score up. It's been a struggle for the Football to schedule opponents for many years. It's just a problem that comes with being the standard of small town schools. The unfair advantages of Charter/Private schools actually are up to par with other states. Georgia dealt with this head on many years ago. Abbeville is next to Elbert/ Lincoln County, GA....Lincoln County is probably one of the most winning Smaller schools in Georgia. They found out 1st hand dealing with charter schools over 10yrs ago. South Carolina just been behind with the multiplier. I was disappointed in dropping down until I went to Middle school game and talked to some coaches. This is actually gonna be our biggest numbers for the next few years. Sad to say 1A is our new home for a few years. It is what it is now Go Panthers
Who said anything about running up the score. I said what I said because your competition is going to be so bad they won’t be able not to score. Chill out dude it wasn’t a knock. LOL

Atown97
Abbeville Panthers

Post by Atown97 »

Ddub14 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:30 pm
Atown97 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:21 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
Atown97 wrote:
*Topcat* wrote:
Who said anything about running up the score. I said what I said because your competition is going to be so bad they won’t be able not to score. Chill out dude it wasn’t a knock. LOL
Oh I'm Chilling 😎 Go Panthers

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

Does the "running clock" rule only kick-in in the 2nd half, or can it start in the 1st half, once a team is down by 42 points.

Who will want to pay to go to a one-sided, one-quarter game? :cry:

Abbeville's appeal should have been for sports other than football. I don't know if there is any history of putting one sport in a different classification, but I know they sometimes use different regions for football.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

SF Band dad wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:13 pm
Does the "running clock" rule only kick-in in the 2nd half, or can it start in the 1st half, once a team is down by 42 points.

Who will want to pay to go to a one-sided, one-quarter game? :cry:

Abbeville's appeal should have been for sports other than football. I don't know if there is any history of putting one sport in a different classification, but I know they sometimes use different regions for football.
IMO we shouldn't have appealed at all. You can take all the other sports combined and it doesn't equal football, not here. Just the truth. Same as since the 70s. It was probably going to happen eventually due to low numbers but I firmly believe it should have been left alone until then. I think it was a really bad move, I know it looks bad too. Not sure this was thought through properly. It's very disappointing. I'm not sure everyone around here realizes what this means for the coming football season. It will hit them at some point. Abbeville is a very proud and successful football school and town. To be playing the likes of CF, Whitmire, Thornwell, Dixie , WS, etc. is downright embarrassing. I speak for myself only. Just my opinion.