Abbeville 2024 Schedule

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Viking9987
Emerald Vikings

Re: Abbeville 2024 Schedule

Post by Viking9987 »

I think it's sad to see the current Abbeville schedule. I can look at it and see an undefeated regular season and there is not one game that makes me 2nd guess myself at all. This type of football will hurt the community and school in the long run. It will weaken the program over the long haul because the other schools can't come up to Abbeville's level but eventually due to less than stellar competition Abbeville will slowly come down to the level of their fellow teams in 1A. It will be hard to keep the team up and running at a high level when they play teams like CF and WS who they know they are going to blow out.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Viking9987 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:51 pm
I think it's sad to see the current Abbeville schedule. I can look at it and see an undefeated regular season and there is not one game that makes me 2nd guess myself at all. This type of football will hurt the community and school in the long run. It will weaken the program over the long haul because the other schools can't come up to Abbeville's level but eventually due to less than stellar competition Abbeville will slowly come down to the level of their fellow teams in 1A. It will be hard to keep the team up and running at a high level when they play teams like CF and WS who they know they are going to blow out.
What's really sad and disappointing, and, quite honestly, difficult to understand, is that we actually appealed for it. We could have stayed in AA.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

*Topcat* wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:34 am
Viking9987 wrote:
What's really sad and disappointing, and, quite honestly, difficult to understand, is that we actually appealed for it. We could have stayed in AA.
Comes down to competition vs trophies....AHS apparently likes trophies better than competition. Weak sauce....weak.

Fear The Fox...

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Yea I don't believe the football people were involved in the decision. Abbeville has never shied away from competition in football, we have plenty of trophies, from 3A, 2A and 1A. Sounded like school administration leading the appeals. I'm not in the know, just my opinion from what I've read and heard. Maybe there is someone who can fill us all in on the exact details. If the numbers keep dropping it was probably inevitable that we would drop next time, I just think we should have rode it out.

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

Viking9987 wrote:
it gets even worse than that, there are the teams that can't even beat CF and WS, like Thornwell. Throw in Whitmire, Dixie, it's going to be unwatchable. At some point hopefully the classifications will be redefined. If it means going from 5 rounds of playoffs to 4 then so be it. First round is usually a nothingburger anyway. If you want to say that Abbeville should not have to play against the likes of Clinton, Chester, ST, in the AA Class, because those schools are indeed considerably larger than us, historically Class AAA schools, well I can reason with that. However, we should NOT be playing the likes of CF, Thornwell, Whitmire, sorry but no way. We should be competing against the likes of Saluda, 96, B-L, Silver Bluff, etc. Given the current options, I'll take my chances in AA, at least until we don't have a choice.