Question for Ddub and 7time...

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Question for Ddub and 7time...

Post by HoodRoad »

Were either of you guys waiting for the doors to open at the DWD & Pville Bball game on Friday? We were waiting in line and a guy all decked out in DWD gear was giving the deputies a hard time for making us wait. He overheard my buddy mention it was his first trip to DWD and the guy turned around and was telling us all about DWD history, where the old school was, where the old football field was, how packed out the old gym would be, etc. Just curious if it was either of you two. It was a great game.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Re: Question for Ddub and 7time...

Post by Ddub14 »

HoodRoad wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 am
Were either of you guys waiting for the doors to open at the DWD & Pville Bball game on Friday? We were waiting in line and a guy all decked out in DWD gear was giving the deputies a hard time for making us wait. He overheard my buddy mention it was his first trip to DWD and the guy turned around and was telling us all about DWD history, where the old school was, where the old football field was, how packed out the old gym would be, etc. Just curious if it was either of you two. It was a great game.
I was at the game but it wasn’t me.
First the game . It was a good game . I knew Daniel would struggle with Powdersville’s size. I saw them twice already this year . Once against Greenville in a win and Greer in a loss. Also both excellent teams. Had seen Daniel against Eastside earlier in the year. Solid team but no real special players. Powdersville took enough silly shots to allow Daniel to stay close. But you can’t turn the ball over like Daniel did especially when your getting beat on the boards. That really should’ve been a 3rd round game. Powdersville will roll in the next one and I expect them to beat wren on the 3rd matchup. I might go.
Second the gate situation. We got there about 15 minutes before tip but this is not the first time Daniel has had gate problems and I don’t understand why. This year at the upper state title game they wouldn’t let anyone in until 6:30
An hour before the game. The lines were already 100s of people deep at 6 . Why not let people in so it’s not a mad rush and less stress on the staff taking and mostly scanning tickets. I don’t understand that philosophy at all.

The new gym is almost on the exact spot as the old gym.
But the original gym that Pete Maravich played in was still on campus as well and that was directly left of the new gym.
When they did the movie about Pete at Daniel in the 8th grade they came to the school to promote the movie.
When they saw the old gym the director told the school he wished he had known about the old gym. They would’ve filmed it there instead.

The football field would’ve been directly behind where the new school is now.

Where the football stadium is now we referred to as the hole back in the day.
No one went down there except to park during games
That’s also where buses would park.
There was another hole type area on the other side of the football field where soccer was played . But how they played down there I’ll never know.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Ddub14 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:53 am
HoodRoad wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 am
I was at the game but it wasn’t me.
First the game . It was a good game . I knew Daniel would struggle with Powdersville’s size. I saw them twice already this year . Once against Greenville in a win and Greer in a loss. Also both excellent teams. Had seen Daniel against Eastside earlier in the year. Solid team but no real special players. Powdersville took enough silly shots to allow Daniel to stay close. But you can’t turn the ball over like Daniel did especially when your getting beat on the boards. That really should’ve been a 3rd round game. Powdersville will roll in the next one and I expect them to beat wren on the 3rd matchup. I might go.
Second the gate situation. We got there about 15 minutes before tip but this is not the first time Daniel has had gate problems and I don’t understand why. This year at the upper state title game they wouldn’t let anyone in until 6:30
An hour before the game. The lines were already 100s of people deep at 6 . Why not let people in so it’s not a mad rush and less stress on the staff taking and mostly scanning tickets. I don’t understand that philosophy at all.

The new gym is almost on the exact spot as the old gym.
But the original gym that Pete Maravich played in was still on campus as well and that was directly left of the new gym.
When they did the movie about Pete at Daniel in the 8th grade they came to the school to promote the movie.
When they saw the old gym the director told the school he wished he had known about the old gym. They would’ve filmed it there instead.

The football field would’ve been directly behind where the new school is now.

Where the football stadium is now we referred to as the hole back in the day.
No one went down there except to park during games
That’s also where buses would park.
There was another hole type area on the other side of the football field where soccer was played . But how they played down there I’ll never know.
BTW the officials in the game Friday were absolute trash.
And I don’t mean against Daniel. I mean in general against both teams. I knew it was going to be bad because the one official who had to keep conferring with the other refs about calls does church league games in Greenville. We call him the explainer because he always wants to stop play after every call and tell everyone what the call was and why. He’s one of the worst officials I’ve ever witnessed and are you ready to have your mind blown. He’s the head of officiating in Greenville county. He had no business doing that level of game Friday.

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Post by HoodRoad »

I remember the old school well. I always tried to be early so I wouldn't have to park by the road LOL! Went to many games over there when my Berea Bulldogs were in the Western AAA, the SEC of HS football IMO. Years later my childhood friend Jeff Maness was the HC of Bball, we lived in Liberty and we'd go over and watch the Lions play. We even went to Cola the year they won it all in Bball. What a squad! He had some ballers, Nuk Hopkins, Jarvis Jenkins, Marcus Greenlee, Shaq Lawson, Antonio Cannon, just to name a few. We always give Maness a hard time about being the best NFL Bball coach around because the kids that went on to the NFL.

As for the gate, the guy was messing with the deputies, nothing serious. I also saw 2 older gentlemen walking around with DWD hats with pins all over them. Wondered of either of them were you guys too LOL! I will say even though it was just a few of us coming in it I could see it getting hectic. A little girl was trying to scan our tickets then she'd just look at you. The lady would then tell the guy behind us that we were ok to enter. It was a little backwards.

7timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 7timechamps »

HoodRoad wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:25 am
I remember the old school well. I always tried to be early so I wouldn't have to park by the road LOL! Went to many games over there when my Berea Bulldogs were in the Western AAA, the SEC of HS football IMO. Years later my childhood friend Jeff Maness was the HC of Bball, we lived in Liberty and we'd go over and watch the Lions play. We even went to Cola the year they won it all in Bball. What a squad! He had some ballers, Nuk Hopkins, Jarvis Jenkins, Marcus Greenlee, Shaq Lawson, Antonio Cannon, just to name a few. We always give Maness a hard time about being the best NFL Bball coach around because the kids that went on to the NFL.

As for the gate, the guy was messing with the deputies, nothing serious. I also saw 2 older gentlemen walking around with DWD hats with pins all over them. Wondered of either of them were you guys too LOL! I will say even though it was just a few of us coming in it I could see it getting hectic. A little girl was trying to scan our tickets then she'd just look at you. The lady would then tell the guy behind us that we were ok to enter. It was a little backwards.

I was at the game too, but it wasn't me. As for the gentleman with all the pins in his hat.. Let's just say he's on this board but it ain't me!

And yeah the ticket line is funky, but anything is better than Pickens football a year ago when they only accepted cash and had the away line up the entire street until almost halftime LOL
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Post by HoodRoad »

BTW the officials in the game Friday were absolute trash.
And I don’t mean against Daniel. I mean in general against both teams. I knew it was going to be bad because the one official who had to keep conferring with the other refs about calls does church league games in Greenville. We call him the explainer because he always wants to stop play after every call and tell everyone what the call was and why. He’s one of the worst officials I’ve ever witnessed and are you ready to have your mind blown. He’s the head of officiating in Greenville county. He had no business doing that level of game Friday.
[/quote]

You're right about the officials. When I saw that all 3 were older gentlemen I was worried about them affecting the pace of play. I hadn't seen DWD yet but I know what PVille wants to do and that is run! I told my wife if I were both HCs I'd turn those guys in. Not sure if true but I'd heard similar rumblings the last time we played Wren at their place that the head of officials in Anderson County lives in the Wren community and picked those refs. I'd like to think that's just rumor. I will say I wasn't too crazy about the official bookkeeper being the DWD HC's wife and she's a principal in the school district. Playoff time that has to be a conflict of interest. I'm just glad we got our $$$ worth because it was a really good game, played in a great facility with passionate fans on both sides.