SCHSL does it again

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
7timechamps
Daniel Lions

SCHSL does it again

Post by 7timechamps »

I wonder which genius idea it was to have upper state basketball championship games in Florence lol..

3A - Likely Wren/Powdersville rematch.. In Florence..

4A - Likely Greer vs Riverside/C. Ridge... In Flornece..

5A - Byrnes and Mauldin.. In Florence..

These were really fun in the Bilo Center a while back.. Some of these teams are only 20 minutes away from eachother
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Re: SCHSL does it again

Post by Deputy »

The same set of geniuses that put the football state championships in that dump of a stadium in Orangeburg. Meanwhile, our neighbors in surrounding states play in the finest stadiums their states have to offer. Whoever decided to play the upstate basketball finals in Florence took their decision making process to a new low. The Bi-Lo Center, Furman, Wofford, even Bob Jones has a nice facility, makes sense. Nobody understands their motives

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

It definitely makes you wonder. The football in OB is head scratcher for sure. Didn't realize about the basketball games.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

M O N E Y…and you can bet some of it went in somebody’s pocket..somehow someway.. :?

osceola1
Gaffney Indians

Post by osceola1 »

Let me preface this with I'm not siding with the SCHSL here by any means...because they're a bunch of doofuses... and personally I think all games should be played at home sites until the state championships ... but I can only imagine what the folks in Sumter or Spring Valley thought in (I'm just going 2018 as a random year) when their girls teams had to travel to Greenville to play in the Upper State championship at the Bi-Lo Center...

or South Pointe and Westwood girls in 2018...

or Chester and Keenan boys in 2018...

Westwood and North Augusta girls 2017....

South Aiken and Ridge View boys in 2017..
the list goes on.

There's always going to be a better spot to play some of these games. Sumter and Spring Valley should've played in Camden? South Pointe and Westwood should've played in Great Falls? Chester and Keenan should've played in Winnsboro? Westwood and North Augusta should've played in Ridge Spring-Monetta? South Aiken and Ridge View should've played in Gilbert?

I'm just saying that every year you can make an argument to not play it in the location they play it. But I've heard more griping about it this year because it's Byrnes and Mauldin and so it affects the teams that were closest to the previous location. Sure, it sucks, but if you're gonna prove you're the best team in the state and win a championship go prove it in adverse conditions, somewhere you have to travel and not comfortable playing... they'll be ok.

Again, not advocating for Florence to be the place...State Championships should be in Columbia, and anything before championships should be at the schools... the high school league doing anything other is a disservice to the athletes, coaches, fans, and schools
Founder of @Gaffney_History on Twitter.

Unofficial, official, Gaffney Football Historian

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

osceola1 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:16 pm
Let me preface this with I'm not siding with the SCHSL here by any means...because they're a bunch of doofuses... and personally I think all games should be played at home sites until the state championships ... but I can only imagine what the folks in Sumter or Spring Valley thought in (I'm just going 2018 as a random year) when their girls teams had to travel to Greenville to play in the Upper State championship at the Bi-Lo Center...

the list goes on.

There's always going to be a better spot to play some of these games. Sumter and Spring Valley should've played in Camden? South Pointe and Westwood should've played in Great Falls? Chester and Keenan should've played in Winnsboro? Westwood and North Augusta should've played in Ridge Spring-Monetta? South Aiken and Ridge View should've played in Gilbert?

I'm just saying that every year you can make an argument to not play it in the location they play it. But I've heard more griping about it this year because it's Byrnes and Mauldin and so it affects the teams that were closest to the previous location. Sure, it sucks, but if you're gonna prove you're the best team in the state and win a championship go prove it in adverse conditions, somewhere you have to travel and not comfortable playing... they'll be ok.

Again, not advocating for Florence to be the place...State Championships should be in Columbia, and anything before championships should be at the schools... the high school league doing anything other is a disservice to the athletes, coaches, fans, and schools

Those teams you mentioned in those years were in the Upper State side of the bracket and the games were played in an Upper State city in Greenville. Byrnes and Mauldin are Upper State school having to play an Upper State title game in Florence(not anywhere close to upper state). You can not use those years and teams to compare to the joke that is the High school league this year. Money is changing hands under the table for sure.

The state is losing massive gate for these games and they don't seem to care at all. Makes you go ummm...

osceola1
Gaffney Indians

Post by osceola1 »

ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:52 pm
osceola1 wrote:

the list goes on.

Those teams you mentioned in those years were in the Upper State side of the bracket and the games were played in an Upper State city in Greenville. Byrnes and Mauldin are Upper State school having to play an Upper State title game in Florence(not anywhere close to upper state). You can not use those years and teams to compare to the joke that is the High school league this year. Money is changing hands under the table for sure.

The state is losing massive gate for these games and they don't seem to care at all. Makes you go ummm...
I don't disagree... and I said they're a bunch of IDIOTS at the high school league. But it's not like they decided yesterday once Byrnes and Mauldin were in it to play in Florence. We've known it was going to be in Florence since the bracket was originally released showing which regions would play each other. Those previous teams knew there was the possibility they'd have to play in Greenville and it'd be a long drive for them if they went. Same thing for Byrnes and Mauldin. Doesn't seem like the teams seem to mind playing in the upperstate championship though... seems like the only issue lies with the fans. I agree it shouldn't be in Florence, mainly because that arena is a dump, but also for the travel reasoning.

To my previous statement, the Byrnes and Mauldin upperstate championship game should be played at either Byrnes or Mauldin and the winner should be playing at Colonial Life next week. End of discussion. There's no reason any game prior to the state championship game should be played anywhere other than the home courts of those schools...play at the higher seed. And in the instance you have the same seed playing, do what you do in every other playoff bracket (and in earlier rounds of basketball) and put a little "H" on the bracket to determine who the home team is before the playoffs even start. It's pretty simple. Football does that. Earlier rounds of basketball do it...

I agree money is changing hands, for sure... which is why I argue it should all be played at home courts.. but the high school league is gonna high school league and never make everyone happy. I was ready to make the dreaded drive to Florence had the Gaffney girls won earlier this week...and will be ready to make the dreaded drive to anywhere else in the state to support a Gaffney team that makes it to a "neutral" site game wherever the high school league can make the most money for themselves. I'll still be there to support and not gripe.

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

osceola1 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:08 pm
ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
osceola1 wrote:

the list goes on.

I don't disagree... and I said they're a bunch of IDIOTS at the high school league. But it's not like they decided yesterday once Byrnes and Mauldin were in it to play in Florence. We've known it was going to be in Florence since the bracket was originally released showing which regions would play each other. Those previous teams knew there was the possibility they'd have to play in Greenville and it'd be a long drive for them if they went. Same thing for Byrnes and Mauldin. Doesn't seem like the teams seem to mind playing in the upperstate championship though... seems like the only issue lies with the fans. I agree it shouldn't be in Florence, mainly because that arena is a dump, but also for the travel reasoning.

To my previous statement, the Byrnes and Mauldin upperstate championship game should be played at either Byrnes or Mauldin and the winner should be playing at Colonial Life next week. End of discussion. There's no reason any game prior to the state championship game should be played anywhere other than the home courts of those schools...play at the higher seed. And in the instance you have the same seed playing, do what you do in every other playoff bracket (and in earlier rounds of basketball) and put a little "H" on the bracket to determine who the home team is before the playoffs even start. It's pretty simple. Football does that. Earlier rounds of basketball do it...

I agree money is changing hands, for sure... which is why I argue it should all be played at home courts.. but the high school league is gonna high school league and never make everyone happy. I was ready to make the dreaded drive to Florence had the Gaffney girls won earlier this week...and will be ready to make the dreaded drive to anywhere else in the state to support a Gaffney team that makes it to a "neutral" site game wherever the high school league can make the most money for themselves. I'll still be there to support and not gripe.

I think the other problem fans have is that the Upper state games are the early games each day. 4:00pm for a 5A state semi final game, thats insane. I have felt money was changing hands ever since they moved the football games to Benedict. USC couldnt make any money they claimed, but Benedict was willing to give up home college playoff games to host the weekend. That has never added up to me.

osceola1
Gaffney Indians

Post by osceola1 »

ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:23 pm
osceola1 wrote:
ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
osceola1 wrote:

the list goes on.

I think the other problem fans have is that the Upper state games are the early games each day. 4:00pm for a 5A state semi final game, thats insane. I have felt money was changing hands ever since they moved the football games to Benedict. USC couldnt make any money they claimed, but Benedict was willing to give up home college playoff games to host the weekend. That has never added up to me.
Agree... the game times are stupid... why mid-week? why 3/4pm? All logical, legit questions. Oh, the reason why you have teams playing at 2pm on a Wednesday is because you are playing 30 games there in the span of 7 days...that goes back to needing to just play on home courts. That's dumb and ridiculous... obviously money is changing hands somewhere... None of it adds up, unfortunately and never will unless the SCHSL is dissolved (like they're trying to make happen)... the funny thing with that is, coaches that are advocating for the SCHSL to not be dissolved and be taken over by legislature are also one's upset over what the SCHSL does. lol

7timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 7timechamps »

osceola1 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:50 pm
ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:23 pm
osceola1 wrote:
ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
osceola1 wrote:

the list goes on.

Agree... the game times are stupid... why mid-week? why 3/4pm? All logical, legit questions. Oh, the reason why you have teams playing at 2pm on a Wednesday is because you are playing 30 games there in the span of 7 days...that goes back to needing to just play on home courts. That's dumb and ridiculous... obviously money is changing hands somewhere... None of it adds up, unfortunately and never will unless the SCHSL is dissolved (like they're trying to make happen)... the funny thing with that is, coaches that are advocating for the SCHSL to not be dissolved and be taken over by legislature are also one's upset over what the SCHSL does. lol

Wren and Daniel girls playing in upper state title. Schools are about 20 minutes away. Next week both will travel 3 hours to play in Florence at 2 pm on a Tuesday lol. We got to do better

Then you got this for boys
IMG_1108.jpeg
IMG_1108.jpeg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 545 times
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!