SC HS officiating

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
mikey
Gaffney Indians

SC HS officiating

Post by mikey »

It ain’t just football..after watching 3 games in the Steve Sanders baseball tournaments…nah..it ain’t no better..might be worse..could be I don’t know HS rules…

Is not a foul tip on a 3rd strike caught by the Catcher not an out?

Can a balk be called if a runner is already attempting a steal?

Can you not appeal a runner leaving base too soon?

Maybe it’s me that just don’t know the SCHSL rules.. :?

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Re: SC HS officiating

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

mikey wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:36 pm

Is not a foul tip on a 3rd strike caught by the Catcher not an out? YES

Can a balk be called if a runner is already attempting a steal? YES, IT IS BASED ON THE PITCHER'S ACTIONS

Can you not appeal a runner leaving base too soon? YES

How I would answer the questions.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

clemson97
No Team Affiliation

Post by clemson97 »

mikey wrote:
It ain’t just football..after watching 3 games in the Steve Sanders baseball tournaments…nah..it ain’t no better..might be worse..could be I don’t know HS rules…

Foul tip third strike is an out, if it is caught in the immediate action follwing the contact. If the catcher bobbles the ball at all, it is simply a foul ball.

Yes, a balk can be called at any point in the delivery of a pitch/pickoff attempt.

No, you cannot appeall a runner leaving base too soon. This is an automatic call for the umpires. If they see it, they call it. No appeals.

I've coached baseball in every area of the state. Charleston was the only area that had a large number of good umpires. Other areas had some good ones, but most were not. It may be different now...I haven't coached in over 10 years. Basketball is awful everywhere.

I believe the Charleston area also has the best football officials.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

clemson97 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:11 pm
mikey wrote:

Foul tip third strike is an out, if it is caught in the immediate action follwing the contact. If the catcher bobbles the ball at all, it is simply a foul ball.

Yes, a balk can be called at any point in the delivery of a pitch/pickoff attempt.

No, you cannot appeall a runner leaving base too soon. This is an automatic call for the umpires. If they see it, they call it. No appeals.

I've coached baseball in every area of the state. Charleston was the only area that had a large number of good umpires. Other areas had some good ones, but most were not. It may be different now...I haven't coached in over 10 years. Basketball is awful everywhere.

I believe the Charleston area also has the best football officials.
Thank you..I don’t really know why he actually called the balk as the pitcher was already delivering the pitch to the batter when the runner broke for 2nd..at that point my eyes switched to the runner..

As far as appealing a runner leaving to soon…I didn’t know that..not sure,but it looked like the field umpire wanted to be ask for his opinion..The home plate ump demonstrated all night that every one know, he was in charge.. :roll:

The foul tip was a strike 3 then..o well ,it made that 4 strike whiff all the sweeter :D

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

mikey wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:42 pm
Thank you..I don’t really know why he actually called the balk as the pitcher was already delivering the pitch to the batter when the runner broke for 2nd..at that point my eyes switched to the runner..
Sounds like he didn't come to a complete stop, present and then deliver the pitch....

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:50 pm
mikey wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:42 pm
Sounds like he didn't come to a complete stop, present and then deliver the pitch....
It may have been…he didn’t explain himself..

AngryMax
No Team Affiliation

Post by AngryMax »

mikey wrote:

Sounds like a great opportunity for you to become a certified official.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

AngryMax wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:49 am
mikey wrote:

Sounds like a great opportunity for you to become a certified official.
Yea that’s a great idea…exactly what we need…and 62 yr old man that sometimes walks with a cane..couldn’t run 20 yards if something was after me…one that admittedly doesn’t know the rule book...I’d fit right in..where do I sign up ?

Last night in Woodruff,the Gaffney/BS championship of the Steve Sanders tourney we had an excellent home plate umpire,and I guess a good field ump as well, since I never noticed him..they are out there..