2024 is a pivotal year for Greenwood

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
ManigoEra
Greenwood Eagles

Re: 2024 is a pivotal year for Greenwood

Post by ManigoEra »

go out and get them gage street boyz and hit dat portal! just call it what it is mayne

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:07 pm
bringthewood wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:36 am
The only problem in GWD 50 is Greenwood. Liner and Dubuse are good coaches, not part of the problem.

Greenwood needs to look at itself, and tear off the scab it has been using to cover up the bigger issue........ but that will require people being real.....
Please enlighten me on what the bigger issue is. No sarcasm, just want to hear your opinion.
Not really anything that isn't at the heart of problems of any school district, and it incorporates many things. The biggest is parents.

The Westgate/Timberlake/Mathis Rd folks don't want things to change so their kids can get high GPAs, have the school awards, get into the colleges they want, etc...

The Edgefield St/Taggart Av folks don't want things to change so they let their kids run the streets, drop out, etc...

When these issues do come up, it falls into an 'us versus them' thing.

One thing everyone needs to understand about football coaches; no matter how 'good' a coach is he doesn't help the Administrator get his next high paying job. Anyone that has a job in the field of education above school room teacher, is a politician..... and some teachers are too.

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

bringthewood wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:54 pm
GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
bringthewood wrote:
The only problem in GWD 50 is Greenwood. Liner and Dubuse are good coaches, not part of the problem.

Greenwood needs to look at itself, and tear off the scab it has been using to cover up the bigger issue........ but that will require people being real.....
Please enlighten me on what the bigger issue is. No sarcasm, just want to hear your opinion.
Not really anything that isn't at the heart of problems of any school district, and it incorporates many things. The biggest is parents.

The Westgate/Timberlake/Mathis Rd folks don't want things to change so their kids can get high GPAs, have the school awards, get into the colleges they want, etc...

The Edgefield St/Taggart Av folks don't want things to change so they let their kids run the streets, drop out, etc...

One thing everyone needs to understand about football coaches; no matter how 'good' a coach is he doesn't help the Administrator get his next high paying job. Anyone that has a job in the field of education above school room teacher, is a politician..... and some teachers are too.
All valid opinions. I'll just add it's also the culture of this generation of kids in my opinion. I went to Greenwood from Fall 2001 and graduated Spring 2005. There was a lot of pride from just being on the team. These kids today, if they're not starting on varsity at least as a sophomore they transfer. Unless....... there has been a culture established that's winning enough to warrant not starting on varsity until you're a junior or senior. Liner is a good coach but he's going to have to start winning with what he has to generate interest in the program. It's a tough spot to be in for sure but can't lose too competitive teams by 40 and 50 points.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:39 pm
bringthewood wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:54 pm
GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
bringthewood wrote:

All valid opinions. I'll just add it's also the culture of this generation of kids in my opinion. I went to Greenwood from Fall 2001 and graduated Spring 2005. There was a lot of pride from just being on the team. These kids today, if they're not starting on varsity at least as a sophomore they transfer. Unless....... there has been a culture established that's winning enough to warrant not starting on varsity until you're a junior or senior. Liner is a good coach but he's going to have to start winning with what he has to generate interest in the program. It's a tough spot to be in for sure but can't lose too competitive teams by 40 and 50 points.
Right, everyone (kids and parents) live in their cell phones, not in their communities.

The places I listed aren't good/evil, just symbolic of the trouble.

Winning is going to be about how Greenwood makes highway 72 important again and makes being a part of Uptown a piece of pride.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

I asked this before but does anyone know if Tom Tom is still coaching at Greenwood High?

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

No Fly Zone wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:14 pm
I asked this before but does anyone know if Tom Tom is still coaching at Greenwood High?
The guy you're referring to was in the graduating class a year before mine. I live in Greer now so not sure. I'm not on the inside like I used to be.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:42 pm
No Fly Zone wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:14 pm
The guy you're referring to was in the graduating class a year before mine. I live in Greer now so not sure. I'm not on the inside like I used to be.
Got it. I’m outta there now too. In Irmo now.

He was at Northside and then Greenwood as an assistant when Pippin was there. Not sure if he’s still around. Good local dude.

BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN
Beaufort Eagles

Post by BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN »

I am so excited about seeing Greenwood making the trip down to Beautiful Beaufort by the Sea to play My Eagles in the 2nd week of the Football Season. I think it will be a pretty good game. Are any of you Greenwood posters planning to make that trip?

GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!
Beaufort Head Football Coach Bryce Lybrand is 41-17 after his 5th Season at Beaufort
2022 3A State Football Champions
3 State Titles in Football
I have attended 624 Beaufort Football Games
GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!