2024 is a pivotal year for Greenwood

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
northside knight
Greenwood Eagles

2024 is a pivotal year for Greenwood

Post by northside knight »

Greenwood football has gotten a lot of criticism the last two years from a lot of our posters on here. I'm not one to criticize too much but I have to be honest. What we've seen on Fridays is what we've seen on Fridays the last 2 years. Liner has been at Greenwood for 4 years. His first two years he fielded competitive teams. His two most recent years, not so competitive. The two most recent years is just not acceptable as far as Greenwood standards. With that being said people need to understand that Greenwood has only had seven head football coaches in its history. Only 1 (Mike Martin) has been fired to my knowledge. I believe Burkett retired. That tells you that Greenwood believes in who they hire. I personally believe Chris liner can get it done but make no mistake the pressure is on. The Greenwood fan base is hungry. We haven't won state since 2012. Also let's just be honest.... Babb, Dula, and Cathcart set the standard at Greenwood. The other coaches were just trying to keep from screwing up the tradition that was set. Liner is trying to bring the tradition back but he desperately needs to have a competitive year in 2024 otherwise the fan base might start to give up on him. That's just my opinion. I like Chris liner and I hope he succeeds at Greenwood. Time will tell.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Re: 2024 is a pivotal year for Greenwood

Post by 96fanatic »

northside knight wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:26 pm
Greenwood football has gotten a lot of criticism the last two years from a lot of our posters on here. I'm not one to criticize too much but I have to be honest. What we've seen on Fridays is what we've seen on Fridays the last 2 years. Liner has been at Greenwood for 4 years. His first two years he fielded competitive teams. His two most recent years, not so competitive. The two most recent years is just not acceptable as far as Greenwood standards. With that being said people need to understand that Greenwood has only had seven head football coaches in its history. Only 1 (Mike Martin) has been fired to my knowledge. I believe Burkett retired. That tells you that Greenwood believes in who they hire. I personally believe Chris liner can get it done but make no mistake the pressure is on. The Greenwood fan base is hungry. We haven't won state since 2012. Also let's just be honest.... Babb, Dula, and Cathcart set the standard at Greenwood. The other coaches were just trying to keep from screwing up the tradition that was set. Liner is trying to bring the tradition back but he desperately needs to have a competitive year in 2024 otherwise the fan base might start to give up on him. That's just my opinion. I like Chris liner and I hope he succeeds at Greenwood. Time will tell.
I agree . I would love to see
the Eagles get back on track.
When coach Burkett left Greenwood
he was an assistant at Rock Hill
for a couple of years then he was
head coach at Chesnee for several years .
He was out of coaching for a couple
of years then was an assistant at Christ Church.
I think he is retired now. When coach Babb retired
A lot of Greenwood fans wanted Gary Roper
The coach at Northside Jr. high to get the job.
Roper passed away a few days ago . He was 87.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

Both head coaches in Greenwood stink

Cover Three
No Team Affiliation

Post by Cover Three »

Greenwood can be better, but I would temper my hopes on a return to the states elite. Greenwood just isn’t the same place it was years ago.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

I think Chris Liner is doing a fine job at Greenwood High School considering the cards that he was dealt with coming in. Hopefully, he can get more of the inner city kids to come out and play football instead of choosing the streets. I don't have to go into detail about what happens in the streets. Everybody knows...just use you common sense and google it if you have to.
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Post by EmeraldCityEagle98 »

StateChampsGHS wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:05 am
I think Chris Liner is doing a fine job at Greenwood High School considering the cards that he was dealt with coming in. Hopefully, he can get more of the inner city kids to come out and play football instead of choosing the streets. I don't have to go into detail about what happens in the streets. Everybody knows...just use you common sense and google it if you have to.
Only game I went to last year was against nw. Yikes :shock: They have a long way to go in order to get where they need to be. They need to develop the QB and get some reliable wrs. The QB has the frame. Hopefully they develop him as a passer. Really need to work on team fundamentals. way too many turnovers in that game.

ManigoEra
Greenwood Eagles

Post by ManigoEra »

EmeraldCityEagle98 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:30 pm
StateChampsGHS wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:05 am
Only game I went to last year was against nw. Yikes :shock: They have a long way to go in order to get where they need to be. They need to develop the QB and get some reliable wrs. The QB has the frame. Hopefully they develop him as a passer. Really need to work on team fundamentals. way too many turnovers in that game.
betta hit that portal....... how much money will it cost.... hell I'll put in

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

The only problem in GWD 50 is Greenwood. Liner and Dubuse are good coaches, not part of the problem.

Greenwood needs to look at itself, and tear off the scab it has been using to cover up the bigger issue........ but that will require people being real.....

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

bringthewood wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:36 am
The only problem in GWD 50 is Greenwood. Liner and Dubuse are good coaches, not part of the problem.

Greenwood needs to look at itself, and tear off the scab it has been using to cover up the bigger issue........ but that will require people being real.....
Please enlighten me on what the bigger issue is. No sarcasm, just want to hear your opinion.

ManigoEra
Greenwood Eagles

Post by ManigoEra »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:07 pm
bringthewood wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:36 am

Please enlighten me on what the bigger issue is. No sarcasm, just want to hear your opinion.
Hit dat portal. you wanna win..... they know what it is