5A Two Divisions

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

First look at SC high school sports’ revamped Class 5A and its two divisions

Post by SCPrepTalk »

SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

Re: First look at SC high school sports’ revamped Class 5A and its two divisions

Post by SCPrepTalk »

Lou Bezjak
Fri, March 8, 2024 at 4:15 PM EST
:arrow: https://www.yahoo.com/news/first-look-s ... p_catchall

7timechamps
Daniel Lions

5A Two Divisions

Post by 7timechamps »

Something I read had it broken up as —

Class 5A Division I will be made up of JL Mann, Mauldin, Boiling Springs, Dorman, Byrnes, Spartanburg, Wade Hampton, Clover, Rock Hill, Dutch Fork, Lexington, River Bluff, Blythewood, Ridge View, Spring Valley, Sumter, Carolina Forest, Cane Bay, Stratford, Wando, Ashley Ridge, Fort Dorchester, James Island, Stall, Summerville and West Ashley. ▪

Class 5A Division II will be Easley, Greenville, Greenwood, Hillcrest, TL Hanna Woodmont, Eastside, Gaffney, Riverside, Catawba Ridge, Fort Mill, Indian Land, Nation Ford, Northwestern, Chapin, Irmo, White Knoll, Lugoff-Elgin, Westwood, West Florence, Conway, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Socastee, St. James, Berkeley, Goose Creek and Lucy Beckham.
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Re: 5A Two Divisions

Post by mikey »

7timechamps wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:59 am

Class 5A Division I will be made up of JL Mann, Mauldin, Boiling Springs, Dorman, Byrnes, Spartanburg, Wade Hampton, Clover, Rock Hill, Dutch Fork, Lexington, River Bluff, Blythewood, Ridge View, Spring Valley, Sumter, Carolina Forest, Cane Bay, Stratford, Wando, Ashley Ridge, Fort Dorchester, James Island, Stall, Summerville and West Ashley. ▪

Class 5A Division II will be Easley, Greenville, Greenwood, Hillcrest, TL Hanna Woodmont, Eastside, Gaffney, Riverside, Catawba Ridge, Fort Mill, Indian Land, Nation Ford, Northwestern, Chapin, Irmo, White Knoll, Lugoff-Elgin, Westwood, West Florence, Conway, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Socastee, St. James, Berkeley, Goose Creek and Lucy Beckham.
Is it any different than the one already posted by Admin..

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Re: First look at SC high school sports’ revamped Class 5A and its two divisions

Post by SF Band dad »

Wow, that is confusing.

There are more division 1 schools in the upstate. It is unlikely,..., but it is possible you could end up with 13 5A-1 upstate schools qualifying for an automatic berth in a bracket with only 12 slots. They will need a contingency plan to shift an additional region 4 or 5 school to the lower state bracket if that happens.

In 5A-1 lower state, the max number of teams that could get an automatic berth is 10, which leaves room for a team shifted from the upper state, plus one more that would qualify based on the MaxPreps RPI rank.

They don't mention if the additional slots, filled by RPI rank, will be filled statewide. I think any available berths should be filled by rank, with no regard to what half of the state the schools are in.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

mikey wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:44 pm
7timechamps wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:59 am

Is it any different than the one already posted by Admin..
No difference, the list of D1 and D2 schools is the same. I have merged the two topics.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

SF Band dad wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:03 pm
Wow, that is confusing.

There are more division 1 schools in the upstate. It is unlikely,..., but it is possible you could end up with 13 5A-1 upstate schools qualifying for an automatic berth in a bracket with only 12 slots.
My logic on the hybrid regions was wrong, the max number of upstate 5A-1 schools that can get an automatic berth is 12.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Copied from the link above.

Note, Sumber is listed as also in the Lower State Division II which is obviously a typo!

There would be eight regions in 5A. Come playoff time, teams from Region 1-3 would be considered Upper State, and 6-8 would be Lower State. Regions 4-5 would be hybrid regions and have teams in both Upper and Lower states.

Dutch Fork and Blythewood would be in Class 5A Division I Upper State, with Sumter in Lower State. Irmo, Chapin, Sumter, White Knoll, Lugoff-Elgin, West Florence and Westwood would be in Division II Lower State.

The committee voted for Spring Valley, Ridge View, Lexington and River Bluff to rotate between Class 5A Division I Upper State and Lower State. For example, Spring Valley and Ridge View would be Upper State one year and Lower State the next. The same for Lexington and River Bluff. It hasn’t been decided which year the schools would be Upper and which would be Lower.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:20 pm
The committee voted for Spring Valley, Ridge View, Lexington and River Bluff to rotate between Class 5A Division I Upper State and Lower State. For example, Spring Valley and Ridge View would be Upper State one year and Lower State the next. The same for Lexington and River Bluff. It hasn’t been decided which year the schools would be Upper and which would be Lower.
I wonder how those chose those 4 schools to alternate between upper and lower state. :?

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Doesn't matter to DF and TK....result will be the same...
Fear The Fox...
Attachments
foghorn-leghorn.gif
foghorn-leghorn.gif (542.91 KiB) Viewed 401 times