New Transfer policy being considered

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Coach
No Team Affiliation

New Transfer policy being considered

Post by Coach »

Not sure if this has been discussed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-BB1kWizw

Two bills being proposed.

The first bill would allow private-school students to try out for sports at their local public schools, a request that some students made to lawmakers last fall. The second bill would create two transfer windows — one in August and one in January — and if students transfer schools during those times, they would be immediately eligible to play sports at their new school.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Re: New Transfer policy being considered

Post by SF Band dad »

I'm okay with the private school kids playing for the school they are zoned for, but I think the proposed transfer policy goes too far. For once I agree with Jerome.

Excerpts from the article:
But students could only transfer once per academic year because of concerns about ping-ponging between schools based on the athletic season.

“A student could play football for one school and transfer to another school for baseball season, potentially transferring eight times over their high school career,” Bailey told senators.

"....it opens the door where there’s opportunities for.....elite players to try to gather at one school to create a championship opportunity,” High School League Commissioner Jerome Singleton said.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Re: New Transfer policy being considered

Post by bringthewood »

SF Band dad wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:50 pm
I'm okay with the private school kids playing for the school they are zoned for, but I think the proposed transfer policy goes too far. For once I agree with Jerome.

Excerpts from the article:
But students could only transfer once per academic year because of concerns about ping-ponging between schools based on the athletic season.

“A student could play football for one school and transfer to another school for baseball season, potentially transferring eight times over their high school career,” Bailey told senators.

"....it opens the door where there’s opportunities for.....elite players to try to gather at one school to create a championship opportunity,” High School League Commissioner Jerome Singleton said.
from what I understand that is NC now