McBee should have asked for a new bracket.

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Dave Pickren
SC HS Football Historian

McBee should have asked for a new bracket.

Post by Dave Pickren »

I admit I hate private schools playing in SCHSL.

It is simply not fair when the same rules do not apply to all teams. I have no respect for Christ Church and their 90 games winning streak or whatever the h - e - double hockey sticks it was. When they do not have to follow the same rules as every other team, I cease to care or be impressed. Their record to me is meaningless.

But what happened to McBee this year in the Single A playoffs is wrong and they have a right to be pissed off.

McBee is a small rural school is Chesterfield County around 600 students in a building housing 6-12. The school is respected but is very poor and struggles with the same challenges that many schools in that part of the state encounter.

The Panther football teams have struggled for years but under Charlie Poole the program has come alive with a 9-1 regular season each of the last 2 years. They lost to 3A Lakewood last season and powerhouse Lamar, this season.

Then comes the playoffs

In the first round, the Panthers beat St Josephs, a private Catholic School at home.
Then they traveled to Greenville and beat Christ Church, a private Episcopal School.
Last week they went back to Greenville and lost to Southside Christian, a private (Baptist / Protestant ?) school

How is this fair ???

McBee stuggles with free lunch, Section 8 housing, underfunded schools, low paid teachers and other challenges
The average family median income in McBee, SC is $18.742.15
Christ Church charges $18,800 per year per student to attend and the total cost of attendance exceeds well over $20K for high school students.

McBee must play students that are zoned in Chesterfield County for McBee
Christ Church, St Joes and Southside Christian can offer any student, anywhere "financial aid" to increase diversity and attend their school.

The private schools are a plague on 1A and soon to be 2A sports.
Trust me if Christ Church was in 4A and winning titles over Dorman, Irmo, Wando, Spartanburg, Lexington, etc., there would be hell to be paid and the SCHSL and coaches and ADS would have done something about it long ago. But if McMee and Lincoln and Woodruff and Emerald complain, they are simply being petty.

McBee got screwed plain and simple; losing to yet another private schools that does not play by the same rules as everyone else.

End of Rant.

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Re: McBee should have asked for a new bracket.

Post by cavaliereagle »

Dave Pickren wrote:I admit I hate private schools playing in SCHSL.

It is simply not fair when the same rules do not apply to all teams. I have no respect for Christ Church and their 90 games winning streak or whatever the h - e - double hockey sticks it was. When they do not have to follow the same rules as every other team, I cease to care or be impressed. Their record to me is meaningless.

But what happened to McBee this year in the Single A playoffs is wrong and they have a right to be pissed off.

McBee is a small rural school is Chesterfield County around 600 students in a building housing 6-12. The school is respected but is very poor and struggles with the same challenges that many schools in that part of the state encounter.

The Panther football teams have struggled for years but under Charlie Poole the program has come alive with a 9-1 regular season each of the last 2 years. They lost to 3A Lakewood last season and powerhouse Lamar, this season.

Then comes the playoffs

In the first round, the Panthers beat St Josephs, a private Catholic School at home.
Then they traveled to Greenville and beat Christ Church, a private Episcopal School.
Last week they went back to Greenville and lost to Southside Christian, a private (Baptist / Protestant ?) school

How is this fair ???

McBee stuggles with free lunch, Section 8 housing, underfunded schools, low paid teachers and other challenges
Christ Church charges $18,800 per year per student to attend and the total cost of attendance exceeds well over $20K for high school students.

Christ Church, St Joes and Southside Christian can offer any student, anywhere "financial aid" to increase diversity and attend their school.

Trust me if Christ Church was in 4A and winning titles over Dorman, Irmo, Wando, Spartanburg, Lexington, etc., there would be hell to be paid and the SCHSL and coaches and ADS would have done something about it long ago. But if McMee and Lincoln and Woodruff and Emerald complain, they are simply being petty.

McBee got screwed plain and simple; losing to yet another private schools that does not play by the same rules as everyone else.

End of Rant.
Very well said!
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

trojangrad78
Northwestern Trojans

Post by trojangrad78 »

Agreed!!!!

Wavefan70s
Summerville Green Wave

Post by Wavefan70s »

They should play two classifications up.just curious as to why they don't have to play scissa?

Fridaynightfan
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Fridaynightfan »

Then comes the playoffs

How is this fair ???

End of Rant.
Not sure I understand your point, Dave. If the schools competing have the same enrollment, what is the difference? Are you claiming that social /economic differences between schools give an advantage on the football field? I would beg to differ that point.

To the contrary, one of the things I have always admired about HS football is that the game itself transcends all barriers of race and economics. When you put the pads and the chinstrap on, it quickly becomes a level playing field.

I'm sure Christ Church has better facilities and more coaches, but the players at McBee wouldn't want you to feel sorry for them at all. And I remember two seasons ago, when Southside Christian was a doorstep and couldn't win a game.

The only inequality would be if schools gave substantial scholarships to recruit local talent and build all star teams. Like Dutch Fork or Mallard Creek. Wait, those are public schools.

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Post by cavaliereagle »

Fridaynightfan wrote:

Then comes the playoffs

How is this fair ???

End of Rant.
Not sure I understand your point, Dave. If the schools competing have the same enrollment, what is the difference? Are you claiming that social /economic differences between schools give an advantage on the football field? I would beg to differ that point.

To the contrary, one of the things I have always admired about HS football is that the game itself transcends all barriers of race and economics. When you put the pads and the chinstrap on, it quickly becomes a level playing field.

I'm sure Christ Church has better facilities and more coaches, but the players at McBee wouldn't want you to feel sorry for them at all. And I remember two seasons ago, when Southside Christian was a doorstep and couldn't win a game.

The only inequality would be if schools gave substantial scholarships to recruit local talent and build all star teams. Like Dutch Fork or Mallard Creek. Wait, those are public schools.
Public schools are required to play kids from their attendance zone. Private schools aren't confined to an attendance zone.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

STChamp 92
Gaffney Indians

Post by STChamp 92 »

Fridaynightfan wrote:

Then comes the playoffs

How is this fair ???

End of Rant.

Or Byrnes..... don't forget Byrnes lol

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

Fridaynightfan wrote:

Then comes the playoffs

How is this fair ???

End of Rant.

I know last year that CC had a player that lived an hr from campus. I think he meant basically that Mcbee has to play the kids from the town, while private schools can draft from the county or more.

gamecocksfootball62
Byrnes Rebels

Post by gamecocksfootball62 »

Mr. Pickern this has been one of the best threads I've read in a good while between the 2 message boards. Usually StateChamp92, DeCav, Cav Eag, EHS Mean, or Mikey would post something like this worth reading. These private schools aren't nothing but pure VULTURES. They come are all sneaky like when they think no one is looking trying to get your kid to their schools. They've did that BS to a many of Byrnes players. They come in and swoop some of your deep depth off of your football team. I can confirm this personally. I'd be all for my boys getting a Christian education but it better be PUBLIC and FREE. McBee has a dang good right to be pissed off. That is some straight up bull jive.
Winning isn't everything,, it's the only thing. - Vince Lombardi

bruindad79
South Florence Bruins

Post by bruindad79 »

I went to several McBee games this yr and will be at more next yr and I must say they might not have a lot but they pack their stadium, know as the "Peach Dome" to the gills every Friday nite!

And BTW I know for a fact that the three private schools mentioned give out "athletic scholarships" to some of their players, tell me if that ain't BS!!

I've mentioned it to my buddies up their before something should be said to the HSL about the private schools playing in 1a instead of SCISA. It's because if they played in SCISA, they'd probably get their a$$ whooped.