SC High School League

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
mystikul
Central Eagles

SC High School League

Post by mystikul »

hope i put this in the right place..
no more schsl ??
http://www.wltx.com/sports/article/2254 ... ol-League-

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Re: SC High School League

Post by cavaliereagle »

I believe this would be a mistake.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

I too believe it would be a mistake. The league is comprised of member schools, they can change their rules anytime they see fit. There have been several cases over the years where it appears that the rules have not been applied evenly, that needs to be addressed. But we do not need the politicians getting involved, that would surely be worse.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

mystikul wrote:hope i put this in the right place..
no more schsl ??
This is exactly the kind of topic I had in mind when I created the W-to-W category. Welcome to the Forum! :)

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

This will be a huge mistake for sure if the legislature changes things. I would change the people that run the executive committee and change some of the rules

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

High School League makes two changes in constitution to appease lawmakers
Philip Bowman | The Post & Courier

...an appellate panel [comprised of political appointees] that will hear appeals if a student or school is not satisfied with the High School League’s executive committee’s decision. <snip>

The old rule stated that schools that use ineligible players must forfeit the game in which they participated. The new rule states that a school might have to forfeit a game in which the ineligible student participated.

<Excerpts - full article at the headline link.>

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

The old rule stated that schools that use ineligible players must forfeit the game in which they participated. The new rule states that a school might have to forfeit a game in which the ineligible student participated.
Oh yeah, that's better. :roll:

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Hard to say at this point but it could be a reasonable move. What I believe is best for all is to have the schools continue to self report.

In our criminal system, turning one's self in and or confessing to a crime almost always results in some degree of leniency as opposed to someone who deliberately seeks to run from justice.

If a minor infraction is discovered that the school didn't report itself then tough noogies for them and the league brings the hammer down but if the school discovers a problem and believes that there will be some room for the league to interpret the heinousness of the oversight then they will be much more likely to turn themselves in. Maybe I'm naïve but I do believe that these faculty members that discover problems do themselves want to do the right thing and believe that an appropriate punishment should be enforced for their lapse.

The problem is gonna be when one school is more harshly punished than another school for roughly the same offense and people start crying fowl.

Here's a question...

Does the occurrence of self reporting paint an accurate picture of ineligible players in the state from year to year? If we're relying on internal auditing do we really know what's going on? I don't know how much external oversight goes on in the state.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson