OK OK Enough

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Re: OK OK Enough

Post by DeCav »

You can kill two birds...

Tell the better half you wanna take your boy out for a boys only Birthday breakfast. She gets a break and you get to dude out.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

Sounds like a good idea ill know more later in the week

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

How did the breakfast turn out Decav Sorry I didn't get to make it was under the house fixing a drain line and a water line that had cracked and busted

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Went pretty good. Could have been better. Stupid me was gonna get a pic but forgot. Such is the way when you're distracted by great conversation. First part went off without a hitch. Got my dad ready and made it to GC by 9:50 but because of their schedules Sparty and RebelDad had had to be there much earlier than me so Sparty was only able to hang for about 30 mins before leaving. I believe RD was there with me and my dad for 2 hours though. Frustratingly, I bought my dad a buffet and all he did was sit and drink sweet tea for 2 hours but all four of us had a lively conversation. Talked about politics, gun control, 3D printing (specifically 3D printing bump stocks...lol) , football, marriage, parenting, and flat earth theory.

I have a business associate that just came out about leaning towards believing in a flat earth. I use the words "came out" because honestly I had a different co-worker tell me unexpectedly that he was gay and I was caught way less off guard and the conversation was a lot less awkward than it was when this other guy told me he thought the earth might me flat. :lol: It seems the conversation you have with someone who believes in a flat earth probably isn't entirely unlike a conversation you might have with someone who tells you they're gay because the subject of flat earth came up with this guy I do business with and I immediately start making fun of the theory and anyone who believes it. I start pointing out very simple logical inconsistencies with flat earth theory thinking, because this dude is an objectively smart guy, that he also dismisses flat earth as nonsense. Apparently this made him retreat from the subject for a couple of days because he kind of doled out a little bit at a time that he actually did find some of the literature compelling which made me start to feel suspicious and guarded about what his true beliefs are.

Then he came out one day in a text and admitted that he was leaning towards believing the earth is flat based on what he's read and the youtube vids he's seen and he also quipped that he believed it will be demonstrated in our lifetime that the earth is indeed flat. I totally get now the inclination to "convert" someone with gender identity issues because I had to fight the impulse to "save" this guy from falling down the flat earth rabbit hole. I didn't want to project any perception of contempt from me but at the same time it's hard to keep my mouth shut when logical fallacies are being suggested to me. In the end I couldn't help myself. I dutifully watched these "compelling" videos and was honestly a bit surprised by how un-compelling they were so I had to tactifully and objectively point out all the pitfalls and inconsistencies I noticed while watching these videos while at the same time demonstrating that I was keeping an open mind. I haven't gotten a whole lot of response from the guy addressing any of my points about the theory so either he's miffed, intellectually stifled, or what is most likely is that he's just too busy to text back.

The subject originally came up when he in a very non-sequitor way tags the end of an unrelated text with a link to a website called "flatsplat.com". Turns out after a day or two I look at the copyright at the bottom of the website and I realize he built the website. Ostensibly the purpose of the website as stated was to show both sides of the argument but I pointed out that so far all I had seen was pro flat earth information. I suggested he should have one pro spherical earth argument for every pro flat earth argument and he said that was a great idea. :lol:

The ironic thing about this flat earth nonsense is that he admitted it was probably a waste of his time dwelling on it because he wasn't making any money for his efforts and I pointed out that these flat earth people are getting clicks and selling books so obviously there's a way to monetize it which prompted me to consider the fact that I could totally see myself as a flat earth proponent if there was a dollar or two to be made from some suckers. I would consider it a noble profession much like a David Copperfield or Chris Angel who obviously don't believe in magic but are quite happy to use smoke and mirrors and misdirection to make a living as an entertainer. I see these flat earth guys that are making these vids and it comes off as REALLY BAD science fiction to me which isn't to say that someone capable couldn't produce some REALLY GOOD science fiction to support these theories.

Anyway so yeah the conversation with the gay guy was WAY shorter: "Oh for real?? Dang...no..I didn't already suspect that. No of course I won't tell anyone you work with. No, I don't think this means you're gonna start grabbing at my junk. Cool." The subject never came up again. :lol:

Sorry for the tangent but I've been occupied with this flat earth stuff for the last 5 or 6 days. Not because I'm compelled to believe any of it but because I'm fascinated with why other people are tempted to buy it. It's kind of like watching a really bad horror movie. I just dismissed the theory as stupid and completely unbelievable until a fairly clever guy I knows tells me there's something to it which prompts me to investigate it further out of curiousity. This movement seemed totally crackpot as soon as I heard about it and looking into it has done nothing but cement for me the conclusion that it is indeed completely crackpot.

Where was I?

Oh, yeah we had a very good time. My pop jumped into several of the conversations but mostly just listened to me and RD jaw back and forth and when we were leaving RD thanked me for bringing my father with me. Hopefully next time we can get a bigger attendance. You weren't the only guy who expressed an interest and then wasn't able to make it but yeah I think if you make it out to one of these breakfasts you'll be hooked. We're never at a loss for conversation when we're hanging out. The breakfast at the Cracker Barrel had I think at one point four different conversations happening all at once. I get bored at Carowinds quicker than I get bored hanging with other posters for a meal.

We were also talking about the 2nd amendment and I cracked up RD when I pointed out that I posted that Forrest Gump meme on Facebook concerning the Austin bomber where he says, "Maybe we should outlaw bomps, I here it works for guns." And then the bomber blows himself up in his car a couple days later and I'm like, "Not that I support gun control but this Texas guy is a poor avatar for gun rights. He managed to kill 2 people over several weeks while the Parkland guy killed 17 people in less than 5 minutes." Anyway the conversation turned to 3D printing bump stocks and we had a debate about how many bump stocks could be printed in a hour which tempts me to print one and find out. I probably should do that before it's illegal. :lol:

Sparty said the Vikes were still in the air on next season. Apparently they have potential QB problems? He didn't go into much detail but the QB position is a question mark according to him. I talked to Spartanburg95 via text who told me the new campus is coming together quick and looks good so far which tempts me to ride by it next time I visit my pop at Summit Hills beside Mary Black. RD didn't know much Byrnes. Since his children have graduated he's kind of floated away from the football scene.

RC, I hear there's some kind of jamboree coming up at Spartanburg. I'll post more info about it. That might be something to tide us over till fall. Maybe we should catch some of the 7 on 7 contests?

Peace out!
DeCav
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

Wow sounds like a great time lol flat earth is kind of a dumb idea anyways. I think the jamboree at spartanburg would tide us over and if im able i would love to catch some 7on7 since i haven't ever been to 1 would be interesting to check out for sure

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

I’ll try and keep my ear to the ground.