Coaches

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Coaches

Post by racincowboy02 »

I was reading all these coaching changes and it has me looking back and wondering what schools have the same coaches for more than 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, and 20 years. It seems that coaches don't stay at the same school now for longer than what 5 years at the most some of that is due to being at schools that the fan base believes you should win a state title every year or be in contention for a title every year. Some are leaving to either move up in classification to show there skills and attract attention of the bigger schools and some are just run off cause they do stupid stuff.

I know Gutshall has been at Dorman for 24 years and has an impressive record but he was also a winner at his other school in NC and had an impressive record there as the link shows

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2016082 ... ing-strong

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Re: Coaches

Post by DeCav »

Interesting question. I believe Bentley was sneaking up on 2 decades before he left for PC. But since joining the boards 7 years ago I’ve witnessed Spartanburg, Boiling Springs, Gaffney, Brynes, Northwestern, Rock Hill, Goose Creek, Berkley, Summerville, and who knows who I’m leaving off the list all have coaching changes.

RC brings up a good point, a lot of programs want a just add water coaching change where overnight a program is transformed like what happened at Dutch Fork. Dorman has had some lean years under Gutshall but a steady course seems to bring a chance for a title to our doorstep every few years.

I imagine the schools that have steady and stable coaching aren’t gonna stick out as much unless they’re winning titles every year. I’ll bet there are some schools around the state with long tenured coaching staffs and because there’s little turnover or because the schools are middle of the pack year in and year out they fly under the radar. I can’t recall the last time I heard any word of the coaching stable at Mauldin. Who’s their coach and how long has he been there?
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Incidentally, it appears jones and littlejohn will be able to write their destiny unless there’s gonna be a new coach next year that I’m unaware of.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Great article! Thanks for sharing!

“I think kids today are super. I don’t know that people give kids enough credit. I don’t think the kids I work with today are any different than kids I’ve coached throughout my career,” he said. “When they say kids have changed, I think music has changed. Now everyone has a cell phone, including me. I think those are changes, but kids haven’t changed.”-Dave Gutshall

Interesting comment on his flexibility and adaptive coaching style...

"Once, in North Carolina, his junior varsity team was a spread offense, while the varsity ran the wishbone."

Again, I was a little surprised that Bentley wasn't mentioned. Didn't he coach for at least 16 seasons at Byrnes?

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

I’m sorry I’m bored and can’t wait for football season

All We Do Is Win
Dillon Wildcats

Post by All We Do Is Win »

racincowboy02 wrote:I was reading all these coaching changes and it has me looking back and wondering what schools have the same coaches for more than 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, and 20 years. It seems that coaches don't stay at the same school now for longer than what 5 years at the most some of that is due to being at schools that the fan base believes you should win a state title every year or be in contention for a title every year. Some are leaving to either move up in classification to show there skills and attract attention of the bigger schools and some are just run off cause they do stupid stuff.

I know Gutshall has been at Dorman for 24 years and has an impressive record but he was also a winner at his other school in NC and had an impressive record there as the link shows

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2016082 ... ing-strong
Jackie Hayes is going into his 27 year as being HC at Dillon. He boasts the States best winning percentage in history, and has over 300 wins

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Post by CITYSLICKER »

cheaters are ever where there
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

All We Do Is Win
Dillon Wildcats

Post by All We Do Is Win »

CITYSLICKER wrote:cheaters are ever where there
You sound like CNN....all acquisitions but no facts to back up your claims

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Post by CITYSLICKER »

ALL WE DO IS CHEAT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Where is CavEagle win you need him!?

One of the best threads ever on PFT was his cheaters thread!