54 YEARS, 605 STAGS GAMES, THE LEGEND, THE MYTH, THE SLICKER

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

54 YEARS, 605 STAGS GAMES, THE LEGEND, THE MYTH, THE SLICKER

Post by CITYSLICKER »

IS GETTING READY FOR A GREAT STAGS SEASON, YALL, THE MIGHTY DEER ARE NEAR.

http://www.berkeleystagsfootball.com/te ... s=football
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Re: 54 YEARS, 605 STAGS GAMES, THE LEGEND, THE MYTH, THE SLI

Post by racincowboy02 »

Slick that is amazing that you have made it to that many games, now the question i have is when was berkeley started and is that where you went to school or did you move down to berkeley and start following then please give some insight. I think it would be pretty cool for you to give some history on berkeley and yourself and also have you thought about writing a book that would span the years of being a high school football fan and the triumps and defeats i think that would be very cool thing to read

CITYSLICKER

Post by CITYSLICKER »

BERKELEY STARTED IN 1928 AND WAS IN AN OLD SCHOOL IN MONCKS CORNER AND IS BEING RENOVATED AS OFFICES. IT STARTED OFF AS A HIGH SCHOOL AND BACK THEN THEY HAD DORMITORIES FOR THE KIDS TO STAY THE WEEK, IT FINALLY BECAME A GRAMMAR SCHOOL TOO ADDING GRADES EVERY YEAR, AND IN 1959, THEY BUILT THE HIGH SCHOOL AT THE PRESENT LOCATION, BUT IN 2000, THE OLD HIGH SCHOOL WAS TORN LITERALLY PIECE BY PIECE AND BUILDING THE NEW HIGH SCHOOL IN PLACE OF THE OLD HIGH SCHOOL. I MOVED DOWN HERE HERE IN THE 5TH GRADE FROM A PLACE NEAR BATH, SC OUT SIDE OF AIKEN, SO BACK THEN IT WAS CALLED LBC HIGH SCHOOL, THEY WERE THE LIONS, LBC STOOD FOR LANGLEY-BATH-CLEARWATER(TOWNS NEAR), ITS NOW CLOSED AND MIDLAND VALLEY IS THE HIGH SCHOOL NOW.

STARTED GOING TO THE GAMES EVERY TIME WHEN I WAS 14 YEARS OLD, SO BERKELEY HIGH IS MY ONLY HIGH SCHOOL I HAVE ATTENDED. THERE IS A BOOK SOON TO BE STARTED BY DAVID SHELTON, A FORMER BERKELEY HIGH GRADUATE, HAS DONE BOTH THE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS REPORT AND THE HIGH SCHOOL STUFF FOR THE CHARLESTON NEWS AND COURIER. I WILL BE HELPING WITH THE HISTORY I AM
SURE. I GRADUATED IN 1968 AND BOUGHT A HOUSE NEAR THE SCHOOL AND STILL LIVE IN THE SAME HOUSE, BEEN MARRIED 48 YEARS TO A BERKELEY GRADUATE GIRL.

https://www.bcsdschools.net/Page/26178

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

CITYSLICKER wrote:BERKELEY STARTED IN 1928 AND WAS IN AN OLD SCHOOL IN MONCKS CORNER AND IS BEING RENOVATED AS OFFICES. IT STARTED OFF AS A HIGH SCHOOL AND BACK THEN THEY HAD DORMITORIES FOR THE KIDS TO STAY THE WEEK, IT FINALLY BECAME A GRAMMAR SCHOOL TOO ADDING GRADES EVERY YEAR, AND IN 1959, THEY BUILT THE HIGH SCHOOL AT THE PRESENT LOCATION, BUT IN 2000, THE OLD HIGH SCHOOL WAS TORN LITERALLY PIECE BY PIECE AND BUILDING THE NEW HIGH SCHOOL IN PLACE OF THE OLD HIGH SCHOOL. I MOVED DOWN HERE HERE IN THE 5TH GRADE FROM A PLACE NEAR BATH, SC OUT SIDE OF AIKEN, SO BACK THEN IT WAS CALLED LBC HIGH SCHOOL, THEY WERE THE LIONS, LBC STOOD FOR LANGLEY-BATH-CLEARWATER(TOWNS NEAR), ITS NOW CLOSED AND MIDLAND VALLEY IS THE HIGH SCHOOL NOW.

STARTED GOING TO THE GAMES EVERY TIME WHEN I WAS 14 YEARS OLD, SO BERKELEY HIGH IS MY ONLY HIGH SCHOOL I HAVE ATTENDED. THERE IS A BOOK SOON TO BE STARTED BY DAVID SHELTON, A FORMER BERKELEY HIGH GRADUATE, HAS DONE BOTH THE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS REPORT AND THE HIGH SCHOOL STUFF FOR THE CHARLESTON NEWS AND COURIER. I WILL BE HELPING WITH THE HISTORY I AM
SURE. I GRADUATED IN 1968 AND BOUGHT A HOUSE NEAR THE SCHOOL AND STILL LIVE IN THE SAME HOUSE, BEEN MARRIED 48 YEARS TO A BERKELEY GRADUATE GIRL.

congrats my friend. keep us updated on the book. practice starts Friday. :D

https://www.bcsdschools.net/Page/26178

CITYSLICKER

Post by CITYSLICKER »

SHOULD START THE BOOK ANYTIME, THE NAME OF IT IS FEAR THE DEER, I LEFT A PM FOR YOU PAPA

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

Slick thank you very much that is so awesome to get some history of a school and of a life long fan

CITYSLICKER

Post by CITYSLICKER »

500 Games: Devoted BHS football fan reflects on four decades of support
• Dan Brown
• Oct 5, 2009
Billy Ott has been doing this on Friday nights longer than many Berkeley High School fans have been alive.
Since 1964, he has missed only one Stag football game home and away.
He watched his beloved Stags through rain, snow, sleet and hail. And even cancer.
But not even a hospital stay could keep Billy Ott from his customary seat in the Berkeley grandstands on Friday night.
I was in the hospital back in 1974 and checked myself out on Friday afternoon so I could get to the game on Friday night, said Ott, who recently celebrated his 500th Berkeley game, including both home and away contests.
That is 500 games going to places like Beaufort and Colleton County in Walterboro, Ott said. Has put a lot of miles on the roads around the state on Friday.
Known as City Slicker or Slick Ott was in the stands at James Island last week and saw the Stags¬ miraculous come-from-behind 34-33 win.
Strangest play I have seen in a long time, said Ott and if anyone has ever seen it all, it probably is him. But I am not surprised considering you have Superman at quarterback.
As good as Bruce Ellington is this year, Ott remembers far back into the past when asked about the best football player.
Rusty Williams was one of the best, he said. He could really do it all and took Berkeley all the way to a state championship.
Williams rushed for 2,112 yards and 28 touchdowns as a senior in 1995, averaging 10 yards per carry. He went on to play football for Auburn University.
Williams, who coincidentally happened to be taking a few laps around the Berkeley track last week, stopped to renew an old acquaintance.
Billy Ott, now he is my man, Williams said. Five hundred games he has been around here watching Stags football for a long time.
University of South Carolina running back) Mike Dingle back in 1986 was also one of the best Ott said. Took the Stags all the way to the state championship game.
Ott has witnessed championships in Division I in 1981, and Division II in 1986, 1994 and 1996.
It has taken 41 years and six coaches but I finally reached 500 Stags games, Ott said. It started in the ¬60s with the Stags losing to St. Andrews 27-0.
Ott said the streak never crossed his mind much as to when it started or how long it would run. Growing up, football wasn’t on his short list of pastimes.
I just started going and loved the Friday night experience. It was a yearly renewal of friendships and the enjoyment of pure football with the younger players.
Plus, he added, it was an economical means of entertainment on a Friday night.
The price was cheap and still is only six dollars, he said. Where are you going to get such a great bargain and enjoy the run for a high school football championship? Players playing their hearts out for the coaches and the community.
Ott said his old pickup truck has driven to many a road football game.
My old truck has put a lot of miles on the road, he said. There are many stickers put on that truck and many opposing fans who would like to add their school sticker to my truck.
Ott’s consecutive game streak came to an end in Sept.1996 when he was diagnosed with lung cancer. Still, even then he missed only one game.
It was the second game of the year and we got beat by Sumter 14-7, he recalled. The next game I was back and we traveled to Columbia to play Richland Northeast. We won all the rest of the games and won the 1996 state championship.
Ott’s support every Friday night doesn’t go unnoticed on the field.
Stags head coach Jerry Brown knows Slick is up there.
It¬s real refreshing to have a fan that committed and to care as much about the sport and about the kids, Brown said. It’s one reason why Moncks Corner is such a special place.
Coach Jerry Brown has been a great friend and has enjoyed my quest for 500 as much as I have, Ott said. As I finish my 41st year my thoughts are of the many great experiences and the many fans I have met, jawed with, and even eaten with.
Brown said football fans like Slick are what make Friday nights and high school football so special.
Fans like him deserve our best, the BHS coach said. Kids play harder and coaches coach harder when we know people like Slick are around. We always have had a good relationship and it is great how the competition is all in fun and good spirit between Slick and fans from opposing schools.
Slick now turns his sights to the next milestone, 600 games, which should happen sometime in the fall of 2017. Ott realizes he now has an opponent joining him in the opposite grandstand: Father Time.
I hope to make it to 600 games but only time will tell if my next quest if fulfilled, he said.

CITYSLICKER

Post by CITYSLICKER »

HERE ARE SOME OF THE STICKER, THE SCHOOL FANS SENT ME
Attachments
truck stickers1.jpg
truck stickers1.jpg (78.97 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
truck stickers.jpg
truck stickers.jpg (88.41 KiB) Viewed 1594 times

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

Slick that is awesome and thank you for sharing just to think about 605 games wow that is awesome i started going when in 85 my dad took me to just home games then as i was on 4 and i have been goin ever since ive missed a lot over the years do to working but i still listen to them

All We Do Is Win
Dillon Wildcats

Post by All We Do Is Win »

I’ll send you a dillon one to put on your front windshield lol