Greenwood at South Aiken - Week O

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
STrebels72
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Re: Greenwood at South Aiken - Week O

Post by STrebels72 »

This should be a very good game. Hoping SA can pull out this win.

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

Alright, so I haven't seen the "2018" Greenwood in person yet. I know we lost a lot of offense off last years team that scored about 35 a game. The new QB has been in the Dan Pippin system for 4 years so he "should" know what he's doing. With all the talent lost you would have to expect some drop off but we'll see. Hopefully the younger kids will step it up.

As far as scrimmages and jamborees, I usually don't bother. I don't know if we've won a jamboree since Pippin has been the coach. I don't mean that in a negative way either. Pippin has had winning seasons 3/4 years he's been at Greenwood. We just are extremely vanilla in jamborees so we usually lose them. No big deal.

Predictions,

I haven't seen Greenwood play yet so I don't know. I know S.A. has had a really good offense the past couple of years so that's a major concern of mine. Hopefully Greenwood pulls it out.

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Post by EmeraldCityEagle98 »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:Alright, so I haven't seen the "2018" Greenwood in person yet. I know we lost a lot of offense off last years team that scored about 35 a game. The new QB has been in the Dan Pippin system for 4 years so he "should" know what he's doing. With all the talent lost you would have to expect some drop off but we'll see. Hopefully the younger kids will step it up.

As far as scrimmages and jamborees, I usually don't bother. I don't know if we've won a jamboree since Pippin has been the coach. I don't mean that in a negative way either. Pippin has had winning seasons 3/4 years he's been at Greenwood. We just are extremely vanilla in jamborees so we usually lose them. No big deal.

Predictions,

I haven't seen Greenwood play yet so I don't know. I know S.A. has had a really good offense the past couple of years so that's a major concern of mine. Hopefully Greenwood pulls it out.
I have watched gwood football for over 20 years and never seen a drop off in talent here. I have seen a drop off in OTHER AREAS. Not to be negative but as the saying goes, the team is only a reflection of the head coach......

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

EmeraldCityEagle98 wrote:
GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:Alright, so I haven't seen the "2018" Greenwood in person yet. I know we lost a lot of offense off last years team that scored about 35 a game. The new QB has been in the Dan Pippin system for 4 years so he "should" know what he's doing. With all the talent lost you would have to expect some drop off but we'll see. Hopefully the younger kids will step it up.

Predictions,

I have watched gwood football for over 20 years and never seen a drop off in talent here. I have seen a drop off in OTHER AREAS. Not to be negative but as the saying goes, the team is only a reflection of the head coach......
We've been in the playoffs every year Pippin has been here except one.

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Post by EmeraldCityEagle98 »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:

Predictions,

Region Titles= zero
State Titles= zero
If you're ok with just being in the playoffs then I guess......This is Greenwood. Our standard needs to be a little higher. Cathcart was here 5 years

Region Titles 3
State Titles 1
State Title Appearances 3
Playoff Appearances 5

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:

Predictions,

Region Titles= zero
State Titles= zero
If you're ok with just being in the playoffs then I guess......This is Greenwood. Our standard needs to be a little higher. Cathcart was here 5 years

Region Titles 3
State Titles 1
State Title Appearances 3
Playoff Appearances 5
Gene Cathcart is definitely loved and missed however it's been 5 years. He's gone and is not coming back. Dan Pippin is a great coach and one of the best play callers in the state. Greenwood will still win and has won with Pippin, just in a different way. I think we're lucky to have him.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

Both of you are right sort of. For Greenwood the standard is best. This means winning titles. Just reaching the playoffs isn't a goal for Greenwood. It's a traditional power. I think all but 2 teams in the region get an automatic bid. Pippin is a great guy. I've become friends with him, but I'm not there everyday. So I don't know what's going on enough to judge that. I do want to see titles though. As I told him, as long as they're giving their best effort I'm good. If they're doing that everything else will fall into place.

STrebels72
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Post by STrebels72 »

Every team goes through this and I’m sure the quality of athletes have diminished some since Pippin has been there, while other programs have caught up to the talent level. I’ve heard that quit a few talented players have transferred out to Emerald recently and that is a big part of why Emerald is better in recent years...

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

STrebels72 wrote:Every team goes through this and I’m sure the quality of athletes have diminished some since Pippin has been there, while other programs have caught up to the talent level. I’ve heard that quit a few talented players have transferred out to Emerald recently and that is a big part of why Emerald is better in recent years...
That's just the thing. When they scrimmaged Emerald they out hustled Emerald. But in all other scrimmages and this Jamboree there was no excitement. It's been like that in preseason for the last few years. I can't remember when we last won a jamboree. Then during the season they usually come around. Of course, I like to win everything. I don't care if it's a 40 yard dash. But Pippin doesn't care about winning scrimmages and jamborees. Told me personally that he hates jamborees. I guess that's just how he operates. I guess as long as they win during the season, that's all that matters. Just leaves me not knowing what we really have though.

STrebels72
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Post by STrebels72 »

eagle93 wrote:
STrebels72 wrote:Every team goes through this and I’m sure the quality of athletes have diminished some since Pippin has been there, while other programs have caught up to the talent level. I’ve heard that quit a few talented players have transferred out to Emerald recently and that is a big part of why Emerald is better in recent years...
That's just the thing. When they scrimmaged Emerald they out hustled Emerald. But in all other scrimmages and this Jamboree there was no excitement. It's been like that in preseason for the last few years. I can't remember when we last won a jamboree. Then during the season they usually come around. Of course, I like to win everything. I don't care if it's a 40 yard dash. But Pippin doesn't care about winning scrimmages and jamborees. Told me personally that he hates jamborees. I guess that's just how he operates. I guess as long as they win during the season, that's all that matters. Just leaves me not knowing what we really have though.
I understand that totally, but I’m not real big on scrimmages and jamborees either. I’ve seem a lot of great kids get hurt in situations like these that mean absolutely nothing. Winning a scrimmage means nothing, but if you use those situations to improve or implement strategies to develop you players, then your team really benefits from that. It’s a great way to see how your younger players respond to the varsity game. It also creates depth to your roster.