Abbeville/Southside Christian Football

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
goldenstripfootball
No Team Affiliation

Abbeville/Southside Christian Football

Post by goldenstripfootball »

So, I was at this game Friday night and one of my good friends has been involved with sports around Abbeville for over 20 years. Word I have heard is that this Abbeville team many believe may be their best ever. Which is hard to argue with 2 Shrine Bowl players on the team. I heard another coach there watching the game that he was even more impressed with the running of #3 for Abbeville. With that being said, Southside Christian was pretty darn impressive as well. If their kicker kicks the ball one more yard, I don't think Abbeville wins the game. Not sure if they can score with 2:20 left and the ball on the 20 and 1 timeout, I believe. Southside's defefense pretty much shut down their running game. Looking at the stats in yesterday's paper, Southside outgained Abbeville on offense for the second time this season. Abbeville was held to 177 yards on 49 rushing attempts and 85 yards passing. Both offenses and defenses played outstanding, at end of the day it came down to a special teams play and kudos to #2 for Abbeville for stepping up.

I wish Barnwell all the luck in the world. I don't know much about Barnwell, but depending on outcome of this Fridays game, if Abbeville wins big and they are regarded by their own fans as best team they ever had, where does Southside Christian then rank?

All I know is that I witnessed one heck of a game with kids on both sides of the ball that will be playing on Saturdays in the next few years, whether NAIA, D3, D2, or D1 football. I understand both teams have big holes to fill, but both have some big playmakers back...too bad they are both in the Upperstate, would love to see this matchup on a neutral field next year in Columbia.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Re: Abbeville/Southside Christian Football

Post by 96fanatic »

I have watched ABBEVILLE play many times over
the last 54 years against my 96 WILDCATS and
in playoffs.they are just a hard team to beat.
a team has to play almost a perfect game to
beat them.i went to the regular season game
with SSC .my WILDCATS had an off week.ABBEVILLE
won 43-28 when 96 played ABBEVILLE this year
the PANTHERS won 38-8.looks bad but my WILDCATS
had 370 yards of offence and kept the ball over
30 of the 48 minutes.all they had to show for it
was a safety and 1 td. when ABBEVILLE did have
the ball they scored quick on long runs and passes.
a team must come up with some big defensive plays
to beat ABBEVILLE.maybe BARNWELL has the team to
beat the PANTHERS.it should be a great game.

goldenstripfootball
No Team Affiliation

Yeah, in this game, I would say Abbeville controlled the ball most of the game. I'm going to guess that time of possession was probably 60-40 Abbeville. With Southside shutting down there running game, Abbeville's scoring drives were 6-7 minutes long. Southside was the quick strike team this past Friday night. I was told that Southside had 360 yards passing the first game between the two, it was obvious Abbeville was out to shut that down Friday night as they were jamming the WR's at the line a lot.

My understanding too was that the first game was a 1 score game until 30 seconds left in the game. Southside apparently thought they were going to take a knee, because they were out of timeouts, and a knee would have ended the game, yet Abbeville ran a play and scored with 30 seconds left.

Anyway, I was impressed with both teams. I would say Abbeville was just a better well oiled machine with good coaching and a great player stepped up when the situation called, while I would say that Southside was a deeper much more physical team.

I also heard that Southside lost a starting linebacker to a leg injury in practice 2 weeks ago and he played well in the regular season meeting. Tough time of year to lose key players too.

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

I haven't seen Southside play, but assume they have begun to recruit? Hard to imagine that a private school, with no particular football success in it's history could suddenly go head to head with an Abbeville. Guess it is OK. Folks accused Christ Church of the same practice for years. But if it is going on, I really don't care for it. Have always felt the private schools should stay in their own league anyway.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

this year SSC jv team went 6-1 only loss
to ABBEVILLE jv 28-27. they averaged
40 points a game.their defense gave up a total
of 34 points in 7 games ABBEVILLE scored 28
and WOODRUFF jv scored 6. the other 5 scored
0 points.so it looks like they will be loaded for
a few more years.

bigeasy
Abbeville Panthers

Post by bigeasy »

SSC did not outgain Abbeville the panthers had 371 total yds 287 rushing 84 passing. SSC had 296 yds 195 rushing 101 passing. Not taking anything away from SSC they have a great team but I would not say 287 yds rushing is being shut down. This Abbeville team is very good but this isn’t the best team they have ever had that would be the 1996 state championship team in my opinion and it isn’t even close

goldenstripfootball
No Team Affiliation

I was merely going by what the Greenville News had posted in the paper on Sunday. Does the Greenville News do their own unbias stats or do they get them from somewhere? I have no idea. Does your stats include the 99 yard return? That would about equal then...but, I don't include special team yardage.

Here is what Greenville News posted:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 165002002/

goldenstripfootball
No Team Affiliation

Here are stats from first meeting too:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 227473002/

I am not sure who maintains official stats or maybe Greenville News is just wrong, who knows?

bigeasy
Abbeville Panthers

Post by bigeasy »

http://www.indexjournal.com/sports/high ... 10558.html

The gville news has jd Moore listed as 24 carries for 26 yds but he actually had 127 yds rushing that’s where the mistake is. And no I didn’t include special teams yardage

goldenstripfootball
No Team Affiliation

Then I stand corrected. But, you also mentioned Southside having under 300 yards, it is showing them with 321. So, if my math is correct and taking into consideration the error for the QB, then Abbeville had 363 total yards and Southside 321 total yards. A lot different than first meeting where Abbeville had 468 and Southside 453.

Regardless, can't get much closer than those numbers, 2 very good teams and fun game to watch. I just have feeling that last Friday night was the State Championship. I could be wrong and hopefully Barnwell gives them a good game. At end of the day, came down to special teams and Abbeville's #2 stepped up.