5A FOOTBALL STATE GAME AT CLEMSON?????

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Re: 5A FOOTBALL STATE GAME AT CLEMSON?????

Post by SF Band dad »

Newcatntown wrote:
Deputy wrote:Doesn't need to be on the coast. At either CCU or the Citadel. That would be just as unfair to the upstate teams as having it in Clemson will be to the folks from the lower state.
SERIOUSLY??? Even if you lose the game at the coastal venue...your still at the BEACH!!! You still win!! :mrgreen:
…you're still at the BEACH!!!..... in December.

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

I didn't mind the drive
    Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions

Rebel-Fan-74
    Byrnes Rebels
    Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

SF Band dad wrote:
    Newcatntown wrote:
    Deputy wrote:Doesn't need to be on the coast. At either CCU or the Citadel. That would be just as unfair to the upstate teams as having it in Clemson will be to the folks from the lower state.
    SERIOUSLY??? Even if you lose the game at the coastal venue...your still at the BEACH!!! You still win!! :mrgreen:
    …you're still at the BEACH!!!..... in December.
    They still serve crab legs and shrimp in December don't they?

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
    Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
    and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

Onion Rings
    No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

oysers are better in December also

dacoach
    No Team Affiliation

Post by dacoach »

Well... since everyone is chiming in...

It is really not a good look for the games to be played every season at Williams Brice stadium. You can say what you want, but I've been to everyone of the games for the last several years. Each and every year, the coaches of the Gamecocks just "happen" to walk by or through the 4A and 5A teams nodding and speaking to specific players. Call it what you want. Has it helped in recruiting? Doesn't appear like it. But, it really isn't fair to any other school in the state that Carolina gets this extra nudge each season.

As for it being played in Death Valley? Lordy, that's a long trip from the coast to play in a game. That's a long trip for cheerleaders and bands. That's a long trip for parents and fans. That's a long trip for host coaches, referees and everyone else involved. So, not a really good option, either, schematically.

I like the rotation idea. Wofford, Coastal, etc... however, The Citadel's stadium only has bleachers on one side (for now) and would cause major headaches for fans. Until the finish doing whatever they are going to do to the visitor's side, not sure that stadium is a good choice. All the other stadiums (Newberry, PC, Limestone {Gaffney}) would be capacity problems, as well.

Benedict would make practical sense in terms of getting it out from under USC and their expensive usage fees, while keeping it central in the state, but the problems there have been well documented. I wonder if the city of Columbia, local School Districts, Lexington & Richland Counties, Benedict, Allen, etc would entertain the idea of building a large operations facility that could hold football, lacrosse, soccer, etc championship games and be shared (rented) by the various groups on a "as needed" basis?

They could also host outdoor concerts, band competitions, etc. Make it a regional draw for tourism like the Colonial Life Arena...

Just thinking out loud.

Rebel-Fan-74
    Byrnes Rebels
    Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

dacoach wrote: I wonder if the city of Columbia, local School Districts, Lexington & Richland Counties, Benedict, Allen, etc would entertain the idea of building a large operations facility that could hold football, lacrosse, soccer, etc championship games and be shared (rented) by the various groups on a "as needed" basis?

They could also host outdoor concerts, band competitions, etc. Make it a regional draw for tourism like the Colonial Life Arena...

Just thinking out loud.
    I would add pre-Region Season {Week Zero through Week Five} you could have intrastate games.... Byrnes - Summerville or Conway - Easley or Fort Dorchester - Gaffney, etc at this stadium. Maybe even some S.C. Team =vs= Texas Team.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
    Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
    and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

AngryMax
    No Team Affiliation

Post by AngryMax »

Clemson does a better job hosting it, and charges way less.

Carolina is centrally located, but costs too much.

I like the idea of neutral site upper/lower state games, but FCS teams probably cant commit to allowing their stadium to be used due to possibility of hosting playoffs.

Politicians, coaches, administrators, fans, etc. need to put pressure on USC officials to waive usage and parking fees.

Or the SCHSL can help upgrade capacity at some of the larger COLA area HS stadiums.

Or have it at Coastal. Make it into a "bowl week" type of situation. Bring teams down Thursday. They can practice in stadium or at Myrtle Beach HS stadium Thursday and Friday. Play two games Friday and three games Saturday.