The home field advantage farce of the schl

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Re: The home field advantage farce of the schl

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Dave Pickren wrote:
Fortfan2k wrote:After the first round. It should change depending on records. And for stall defense. They can compete in other sports not football. Last year. Despite pre determined sites, head to head should had played a role too. Heck barnwell had to go to timberland. Had the wolves won. Undefeated carvers bay would had to travel there

All teams that won their region title are equal.

Who is to say Dorman's 9-1 record was better or worse than Hanna's 10-0 record

I'm willing to bet Gaffney's 9-1 record was better than Woodmont's 5-5 record, but Gaffney had to travel. The man has a point. There could be some tweaking, it's not like they haven't tweaked things before....

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

Exactly I'm not asking to rewrite the whole playoff system. Just add some wieght to a teams accomplishments .

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

But then there is always the flip side of that argument. You have a team from an easy region, that played a cupcake OOC schedule, may get a lot of pub, but just not that good. But yet propped up in polls because of record with no attention to who they have played. So there is no real fair way to do it. Would even be a bigger war started if you started to subjectively rank the teams at playoff time.

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

Deputy wrote:But then there is always the flip side of that argument. You have a team from an easy region, that played a cupcake OOC schedule, may get a lot of pub, but just not that good. But yet propped up in polls because of record with no attention to who they have played. So there is no real fair way to do it. Would even be a bigger war started if you started to subjectively rank the teams at playoff time.
Bluffton did that a few years ago.i believe your out of conference schedule should have some weight .I dont have all the answers. But I know as anyone else does. Theres no way anyone can justify Dutch fork having to travel this year or Fort last year .or team x or y .
Conference champs then weight of schedule. There has to be a better way .
It would take some work but it could be done.
I'm not a fan of Dutch fork. But I recognize them getting shafted.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

Fortfor5 wrote:
Deputy wrote:But then there is always the flip side of that argument. You have a team from an easy region, that played a cupcake OOC schedule, may get a lot of pub, but just not that good. But yet propped up in polls because of record with no attention to who they have played. So there is no real fair way to do it. Would even be a bigger war started if you started to subjectively rank the teams at playoff time.
Bluffton did that a few years ago.i believe your out of conference schedule should have some weight .I dont have all the answers. But I know as anyone else does. Theres no way anyone can justify Dutch fork having to travel this year or Fort last year .or team x or y .
Conference champs then weight of schedule. There has to be a better way .
It would take some work but it could be done.
I'm not a fan of Dutch fork. But I recognize them getting shafted.
I agree, it wouldn't be too hard. But a majority of the schools don't want the non-region to count,... they want to schedule the cross-town 3A rival, not a distant 5A that brings no gate and costs a lot to travel to.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Dave Pickren wrote:
Fortfan2k wrote:After the first round. It should change depending on records. And for stall defense. They can compete in other sports not football. Last year. Despite pre determined sites, head to head should had played a role too. Heck barnwell had to go to timberland. Had the wolves won. Undefeated carvers bay would had to travel there

I'm willing to bet Gaffney's 9-1 record was better than Woodmont's 5-5 record, but Gaffney had to travel. The man has a point. There could be some tweaking, it's not like they haven't tweaked things before....
All that Gaffney had to do to remedy that situation was win more games, score more points, and allow fewer points. Stop blaming the system and place the blame where the blame belongs. When it comes to #1 seeds playing other #1 seeds, each and every team starts the year knowing about how the bracket is laid out. Smaller class schools have played under these rules for more than 3 decades now. Does that make it perfect? Hell no. But we are talking about the SCHSL, where nothing is perfect. Here in Beaufort County, we have been faced with being forced to play every other Senior High School in the county for 6 years now. This was mandated because of travel expense. In a 10 game season, that means that half of our entire schedule is predetermined. Those games should have no bearing on playoff seeding. Play your Region games, win as many as possible, and play where you wind up seeded. It really isn't a very difficult scenario. Perhaps you don't remember the Big 16 where 0-11 teams automatically were seeded into the playoffs for the highest level of competition in this state. In the game of football, there is a winner and there is a loser. These things matter at the end of the year. The current system is by far the most fair system that this state has ever had.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

Penguin wrote:
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Dave Pickren wrote:

All that Gaffney had to do to remedy that situation was win more games, score more points, and allow fewer points. Stop blaming the system and place the blame where the blame belongs. When it comes to #1 seeds playing other #1 seeds, each and every team starts the year knowing about how the bracket is laid out. Smaller class schools have played under these rules for more than 3 decades now. Does that make it perfect? Hell no. But we are talking about the SCHSL, where nothing is perfect. Here in Beaufort County, we have been faced with being forced to play every other Senior High School in the county for 6 years now. This was mandated because of travel expense. In a 10 game season, that means that half of our entire schedule is predetermined. Those games should have no bearing on playoff seeding. Play your Region games, win as many as possible, and play where you wind up seeded. It really isn't a very difficult scenario. Perhaps you don't remember the Big 16 where 0-11 teams automatically were seeded into the playoffs for the highest level of competition in this state. In the game of football, there is a winner and there is a loser. These things matter at the end of the year. The current system is by far the most fair system that this state has ever had.
This state that's the problem.we settle for bullskit. We cant do a damn thing worth a crud.liik at the education lottery big misuse.
System sucks.

GoBigGreen
Summerville Green Wave

Post by GoBigGreen »

You could keep the same system in place for playoff seeding but add one more factor in determining where a home game is played which is if two teams are ranked the same and they played head to head, the winner of the head to head match up gets the home field. This would put more meaning on the out of region games which now are nothing more than scrimmages because they add no value to playoff seedings(with the exception of the 2 at large teams). Last year undefeated Fort D had to travel to play at Dutch Fork who they beat in the regular season. With this simple change, Dutch Fork would have had to travel to Fort D and who knows how this would have impacted the game. I know some Fort fans who would say it would have had a huge impact ;).

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

GoBigGreen wrote:You could keep the same system in place for playoff seeding but add one more factor in determining where a home game is played which is if two teams are ranked the same and they played head to head, the winner of the head to head match up gets the home field. This would put more meaning on the out of region games which now are nothing more than scrimmages because they add no value to playoff seedings(with the exception of the 2 at large teams). Last year undefeated Fort D had to travel to play at Dutch Fork who they beat in the regular season. With this simple change, Dutch Fork would have had to travel to Fort D and who knows how this would have impacted the game. I know some Fort fans who would say it would have had a huge impact ;).
Exactly you cant just do things because that's the way we've always done it. Archaic practices have archaic results .

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Penguin wrote:
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Dave Pickren wrote:

I stand by my statement a 9-1 Gaffney was obviously better than a 5-5 Woodmont and neither was a Region Champ and I don’t have a problem with seeding teams I agree there are issues beyond 9-1 vs 5-5 to determine the “better” team. Perfect example is Northwestern. Had they beaten Rock Hill, you would have had a 4-5 Region Champ and if they played Sumter likely a 4-6 record. But look at those losses, Dutch Fork, Dorman Byrnes South Pointe and Ridge View. All teams that went deep into the playoffs so 4-5 looks better when you look deeper. GBG makes a good point that out of region games are nothing but glorified scrimmages now. Bragging rights maybe but what else? I don’t think we want to go back to 0-11 teams making the playoffs None of want that but I can see why some want changes.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--