OT: PATRIOTISM

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Re: OT: PATRIOTISM

Post by DeCav »

dacoach wrote:American Society today is struggling to identify what "Patriotism" actually looks like. We are in such a transcending flux of political and moral ideology right now that people are having a hard time identifying or associating with things that were once staples of our U.S. moral fiber.

Not all of this is bad... change is good in most cases... however, it seems the pendulum is swinging so fast and so hard in directions that are counter to American culture, that most people are just flustered and angry.

:idea:
I consider this opinion above reproach and unassailable.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

DeCav wrote:
dacoach wrote:American Society today is struggling to identify what "Patriotism" actually looks like. We are in such a transcending flux of political and moral ideology right now that people are having a hard time identifying or associating with things that were once staples of our U.S. moral fiber.

Not all of this is bad... change is good in most cases... however, it seems the pendulum is swinging so fast and so hard in directions that are counter to American culture, that most people are just flustered and angry.

That's why they call WW2 veterans the greatest generation...

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Post by cavaliereagle »

mikey wrote:
DeCav wrote:

That's why they call WW2 veterans the greatest generation...
Agreed!
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

Better to have it and don’t need it than to need it and don’t have it.
Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

There are Mexican citizens who have a low regard for their country’s patriotism too. They like California & Arizona among other states though.
Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

For all of the right wing faux "patriots" here, I offer you up a couple of thoughts.

1) For those brave men here who were courageous enough to have actually fought for this country, I ask this, "Did you go to battle to support our Constitution and our way of life, or did you go to battle to support a political agenda"? If you fought for our Constitution, then you fought for our rights to have the freedom to question those things with which we do not agree, and our right to protest those very same things. Protest is defined as free speech, and the very 1st Amendment to our Constitution guarantees that right. In this country, one person's perceived political support does not mandate the same from anyone else.

2) I see that most of those speaking out against freedom of speech here, fought in WWII. (Self proclaimed "greatest generation ever"). You brave men who fought in WWII should already know this, but I will remind you of it. You fought against the ONLY government in history that was more radically right-wing than our current administration. And that Nazi regime was only slightly more conservative and radical than where the United States is today. Change the words "Jews" and "Communists" with "Mexicans" and "Liberals", and you can barely differentiate the two. Now to my real point. The people of Germany during that Nazi regime were forced to stand for their flag and salute their leader in order to be called "patriots", or risk being labeled "traitors" and summarily dealt with. Is this what you fought for? 80 years later, for your country to become the spitting image of your enemy?

Standing up for a song, saluting a flag, or blindly giving allegiance to a narcissistic madman, do not make you a "patriot". A true "patriot" is one who will stand up TO those things when they represent hatred and evil, and do not reflect the values of our history and more importantly, our Constitution.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!