5A FOOTBALL STATE GAME AT CLEMSON?????

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Wildstallion2
South Pointe Stallions

5A FOOTBALL STATE GAME AT CLEMSON?????

Post by Wildstallion2 »

Clemson wants some of this High School Football Action back at Death Valley. https://www.goupstate.com/sports/201903 ... ampionship

btango
No Team Affiliation

Re: 5A FOOTBALL STATE GAME AT CLEMSON?????

Post by btango »

I think it should be in the center of the state. Clemson is so far to the west. The perfect stadium would probably be The Citadel or Coastal but that is too far the opposite direction. Wofford may be a good site but also a bit too far west. The field conditions for the 1A game were terrible. About the worst turf I have seen.

Newcatntown
Bluffton Bobcats

Post by Newcatntown »

NC spreads the wealth..so to speak...with different venues at different stadiums each year.
Now...NC has more D1 schools with more accommodations at those stadiums...with that being g said...
Willy B should host 1A...2A...3A games and Death Valley host 4A and 5A this year...then alternate each year..JMO...
Now the best scenario would be having state title games at your home stadium. How is that fair you ask???
Upstate host 1 year... lower state the next.
Now...debate...

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

NO NO NO NO NO Damn playing at Clemson. Why would you bring a lower state team 3 and half hours up the road to Clemson when they can be in Columbia in and hour and a half the only good thing about the games at Clemson is none. I don't ever see the state title games being held at a home stadium ie upperstate Gaffney which i think could host a state game and be fine stadium wise parking wise it would be a huge nightmare and a disaster. Byrnes hosting a state title game i don't think would work either due to the fact that the stadium is kind of small would be a great atmosphere i have no doubt but the stadium is on the smaller side of 5A stadiums Im not knocking you Byrnes guys at all just giving my opinion. As far as the lower state i don't think it would go well there either especially at Summerville where the visitor side is super small i think the parking would be kind of a nightmare there as well.

AHS14
Abbeville Panthers

Post by AHS14 »

I really don't have much preference as to playing at Clemson or Carolina, but they do need to move 1A and 2A to the same place as 3A-5A, wherever that may be. Benedict has simply not been able to handle the crowds the past few years. Concession lines are long and they always sell out of everything long before the game is over, parking is atrocious and the restroom facilities are very inadequate. Not to mention the terrible field conditions. You would think after hosting the game for almost 10 years they would've figured some of this out but nope. Stop treating 1A and 2A schools like second class citizens!

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

Apparently the sticking point in this sudden interest in the move to Clemson is of course, money. Seems that Carolina charges a pretty penny for the use of W-B. Seems as if a 3rd party is working through Clemson that will almost eliminate many of this costs. Even saying that for some schools from the lower part if the state that hotel rooms will be provided. Still not a fan of it. Maybe they do take care of the teams with hotels, but still a heck of a drive, and expense, for family's and student bodies. Hopefully this will pressure USC to come up with a better plan and keep it in Columbia. 2 hour ride from the furthest part of anywhere in the state. Fair for everyone.

midstateguy
No Team Affiliation

Post by midstateguy »

I overheard an AD in Columbia saying the costs are out of hand and the schools involved in the games lost money this year.

olguy73
No Team Affiliation

Post by olguy73 »

Money is always an issue but free or cheap is not always the best option. SCHSL tried the Clemson experiment a few years ago and never went back to it for a reason. To me, it just makes sense to play the games in the middle of the state where the travel is reasonable for everyone. Spare me the "recruiting" drama, it hasn't hurt them (Clemson) or helped (USC) yet. If Clemson is a reality moving forward, then truly spread the wealth and play some games at Coastal or even in Charleston.

As far as NC and them spreading the wealth for games, it makes more sense. Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake Forest are literally within a 30 mile (if that) perimeter of each other. They also have 8 championships that are played. The downside is as a fan you have to choose which game(s) to go and watch.

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

racincowboy02 wrote:NO NO NO NO NO Damn playing at Clemson. Why would you bring a lower state team 3 and half hours up the road to Clemson when they can be in Columbia in and hour and a half the only good thing about the games at Clemson is none. I don't ever see the state title games being held at a home stadium ie upperstate Gaffney which i think could host a state game and be fine stadium wise parking wise it would be a huge nightmare and a disaster. Byrnes hosting a state title game i don't think would work either due to the fact that the stadium is kind of small would be a great atmosphere i have no doubt but the stadium is on the smaller side of 5A stadiums Im not knocking you Byrnes guys at all just giving my opinion. As far as the lower state i don't think it would go well there either especially at Summerville where the visitor side is super small i think the parking would be kind of a nightmare there as well.
If it is in lower state has to be at citadel stadium.
I believe it should bounce.usc then coastal then citadel Clemson ect.

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

Doesn't need to be on the coast. At either CCU or the Citadel. That would be just as unfair to the upstate teams as having it in Clemson will be to the folks from the lower state.