Northwestern Scheduling

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
sparked_up
Northwestern Trojans

Northwestern Scheduling

Post by sparked_up »

I took a little look at the recent history of Northwestern Scheduling based on the brutal run last year that will continue this year.

2018 (4-7)- 5 of the 6 non-conference games were scheduled against teams that won 10 games, one of which was not played due to hurricane, obviously Northwestern was 0-5 vs 10 win teams - the other was an 8 win team that went deep in the playoffs.

2017 (7-5) - 2 non-conference games were against 10 win teams NHS was 1-1 in those games 3-3 overall non-conference.

2016 (9-2) - 2 non-conference games against 10 win teams NHS was 1-1 again. 2 were 8 win teams, 1 6 wins, 1 3 wins.

2015 (14-1) - 2 non-conference games against 10 win teams NHS was 1-1 again, 1 7 win team, 2 4 win teams.

2014 (9-5) - 3 non-conference games against 10 win teams NHS was 1-2 in those games, 1 9 win team, 1 5 win team (loss), 1 2 win team.

In short, during the regular season over last 5 years including state championship season NHS has won 4 regular season non-conference games against 10 win teams; never more than 1 in a season. The 2018 schedule would have pushed a talented 2015 team hard. How about we give the new coaching staff a chance to build momentum during the season? A more balanced schedule would do wonders for morale and player development.

ImpartialObzerver
No Team Affiliation

Re: Northwestern Scheduling

Post by ImpartialObzerver »

Nice work spark...
Unfortunately, the 2019 schedule is the same as 2018...just switching home and away with each opponent.
I am betting the AD made the schedules WITHOUT ASKING THE COACH ABOUT IT. Part of a vendetta against Martin maybe???
NO COACH IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD AGREE TO THAT SCHEDULE...note per spark input they did not schedule that way in the past.
Anyone know why the thread about coach investigation was deleted?

purpleandorange
Northwestern Trojans

Post by purpleandorange »

We all know why the thread was deleted! To much truth was pouring out and someone started complaining. If you read the thread it is pretty obvious who that had to be.

sparked_up
Northwestern Trojans

Post by sparked_up »

A little more work looking at Strength of schedules in SCHSL Football after reviewing Northwestern's schedules from 2014-2018 Here are few others to compare.

Southpointe is 2-3 against 10 win teams in regular season non-conference games - both wins came in 2017, undefeated state champions.

Rock Hill is 2-10 against 10 win teams with one win each in 2017 and 2018. They pay 2-3 games a year at this level.

Dutch Fork is 3-3 against 10 win teams during a very dominant streak in that programs history. the three wins came in 2015 and 2016. Zero games against 10 win teams in the most recent season (not that it would have mattered).

Byrnes is 5-1 against 10 win teams, 1-2 games per year with zero in 2016. Conference is tough too.

Dorman is 2-1 against 10 win teams, only having them on the schedule in 2017 and 2014, again tough conference.

Northwestern's 5 in one season and 13 total over 5 seasons is way over average! From 2014-2017 they played 2 per year and were 3-5 in those games. Now 3-10 over 5 years.

What exactly is the scheduler trying to do when setting a team up like that? South Pointe, Byrnes, Dorman, and Dutch Fork are not surprise 10 win teams when this was scheduled. Coach Richardson was below .500 in these games with full support. Northwestern has a great football tradition and wants to compete at the highest level, however I don't believe any of the coaches at Byrnes, Dutch Fork, or Dorman would have signed off on a non-conference schedule like this. Playing a string of games like this creates even more challenges when you enter region play even if the competition isn't as stiff. Good luck Trojans in 2019. IF you can win 3 non-conference games this season you will likely exceed anything accomplished in the glory days under Coach Richardson.

purpleandorange
Northwestern Trojans

Post by purpleandorange »

BretJust1T I would love to see you verify the above information and write an article about it. There are multiple kids on the NW team that can play past high school at some level. I do hope college coaches look past the win/loss column and realize the level of competition these boys face on a weekly basis.
How does NW prepare for this brutal schedule? With spring practice just 8 days away the head coach is still suspended from all football related activities. Nice!!!

dragonheart
No Team Affiliation

Post by dragonheart »

In the days of the points system this type of scheduling might help a team out with seeding for the playoffs because you could get more points for a loss to a winning 4A, 5A team than beating a 3A, 2A team. And if your team was developing as the season goes along you might benefit from a seeding that would allow you to play against a team of equal talent. Rather than face a powerhouse team in the first round because you played lower class teams pre-region and didn't get enough points to put your team in the middle of the pack for play-offs. But in this era of high school football, all of the points are on the scoreboard.
The schedule should allow a team to progress to the point that they are ready for region play not beat them up (physically and mentally) so they can't compete once region games hit. I don't mean to say regular season games should all be cupcakes, scheduling one or two tough opponents is a norm. But a team should not face a murder's row that deflates and demoralizes them. Games against local teams of a lower classification can potentially develop new rivalries or renew old ones and have good gates. The intensity of football games can spill over to other sports and that can translate to good gates at other sporting events involving the two schools.
Americans love an under-dog because we were one in 1776 and we love a good David vs. Goliath story(AppState vs. Michigan), it's part of our culture.

ImpartialObzerver
No Team Affiliation

sparked you are right on target...combine the scheduling with the apparent lack of weight training for the last who know how many years, and we have a recipe for total sabotage of the football program...disgusting and shameful behavior by someone or several (more likely), against the head football coach, staff, and especially the kids. I hope the entire sham is made public.

p.s. those 10 win teams have continued to lift and gear up for the upcoming season, meanwhile, someone at Northwestern continues to cause distractions for the Trojans, and the district / school board has basically stopped weight training, the way it sounds. NW will be abused on the field for several years to come, it appears.

TheTruth
No Team Affiliation

Post by TheTruth »

ImpartialObzerver you seem to be anything but IMPARTIAL! I hate to call you out guy or Girl but you are strictly one sided on this topic! Where was all this talk when the same AD and Strength coach were at NW when we were killing it? Where was all this talk when everyone was talking about how great of shape we were in when everyone we played was cramping up and that purple train kept pounding the tracks? Simple fact is there is an issue at NW and I am sure it will play itself out. For now all I can say is if you are a fan of NW than be a fan and quit making accusation's based on what you think you know or on YOUR hurt feelings. And please go back and look at how many winning records and state titles were won over the last 9 years at NW with the same strength coach and AD. There are more sports at NW than just football!

sparked_up
Northwestern Trojans

Post by sparked_up »

Truth? I am not a long time local, but you are correct about NHS and the winning over the last nine years. Do your own look at scheduling and compare. Coach Richardson won a lot of games for sure and never played the kind of schedule or faced the type of things this coaching staff is dealing with today. Pretty nice to have 2 NFL QB’s during his run and a random Junior transfer that plays D1 ball. In fact, as I understand stand 2 of them were transfers - one local of course. Nobody has ever been concerned about the athletes conditioning, just the power. When you have the system Richardson ran and the talent he had to do it, defense and line play were not high priorities or needs. Nobody knew Northwestern to be stingy defensively or run the ball particularly well most of the time. I still ask
Of all the college players to come out of Northwestern, how many have been lineman?

As far as scheduling, I would assume a good AD would consult the head coach, understand the team, take responsibility privately and publicly for getting it out of alignment like this current schedule. Then be supportive of a team and coaching staff trying to compete with what they have every week. Assuming those things are true then play on. If not, then Leadership has to be looked into.

Reality, with a normal schedule the Trojans would likely have finished last season with 7-9 wins rather than 7 losses. They didn’t have the experience, talent, power, and other things needed to get that done. At this point, there doesn’t seem to be enough internal support for it to look much better in 2019.

ImpartialObzerver
No Team Affiliation

Truth, "Observer" does not necessarily equal "fan"
I am trying to be a fan, but some of the internal issues come across as ugly.
I "observed" a team of boys playing men. I blame it on those internal issues not the players.
NO state titles against 5A competition, and probably won't be until the internal support improves.
p.s. Are girls not allowed on this board?