Gaffney 34, Byrnes 20 - Final

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
likeitRnot
Byrnes Rebels

Re: Gaffney 34, Byrnes 20 - Final

Post by likeitRnot »

racincowboy02 wrote:So I have sit here for the last 3 days trying to figure out something and I need some help. In the 2nd half Byrnes lined up in some trick formation and then proceeded to throw the ball to the short side of the field on what looked like a go route and for the life of me I don't understand why they tried that funky formation and that pass out of it
Was definitely the turning point in the game. Think call was made because Gaffney had up to that point pretty much shut run down other than Harris busting that one early in the third . Should have just stuck to game plan at that point and played field position! You hate to say one play determined the game but that was a huge momentum swing!..Byrnes blew early chances to really put Gaffney in a deep hole. Hats off to Gaffney, they just continue to prove that only season really matters is the post season! Good luck to you guys and glad REGION 2 will be representing the upstate!

STChamp 92
Gaffney Indians

Post by STChamp 92 »

likeitRnot wrote:
racincowboy02 wrote:So I have sit here for the last 3 days trying to figure out something and I need some help. In the 2nd half Byrnes lined up in some trick formation and then proceeded to throw the ball to the short side of the field on what looked like a go route and for the life of me I don't understand why they tried that funky formation and that pass out of it
Was definitely the turning point in the game. Think call was made because Gaffney had up to that point pretty much shut run down other than Harris busting that one early in the third . Should have just stuck to game plan at that point and played field position! You hate to say one play determined the game but that was a huge momentum swing!..Byrnes blew early chances to really put Gaffney in a deep hole. Hats off to Gaffney, they just continue to prove that only season really matters is the post season! Good luck to you guys and glad REGION 2 will be representing the upstate!
Wasn't that an old Bobby Bentley play? I thought the point of the new Rebels under Shaw is to get away from the past... or are they reconnecting to it? No offense meant but I thought a new offensive identity was being established... but then again, like you said the hard nose running wasn't working at that point. One thing is for sure, this one stings Byrnes like 2011 stung us in terms of expectations and what should have been. I think the punches are even now, that 2011 always sits at the back of our minds, I feel like this one will sit in the back of their minds as well. I think this truly makes this rivalry our biggest, I truly didn't buy into it even with so much that has happened, but now... man.. no doubt.

Scalped07
Gaffney Indians

Post by Scalped07 »

It’s definitely the best Rivalry in the State
***Black and Gold***
*Pride and Tradition*
*18 TIME SC STATE CHAMPIONS*

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

STChamp 92 wrote:
likeitRnot wrote:
Wasn't that an old Bobby Bentley play? I thought the point of the new Rebels under Shaw is to get away from the past... or are they reconnecting to it? No offense meant but I thought a new offensive identity was being established... but then again, like you said the hard nose running wasn't working at that point. One thing is for sure, this one stings Byrnes like 2011 stung us in terms of expectations and what should have been. I think the punches are even now, that 2011 always sits at the back of our minds, I feel like this one will sit in the back of their minds as well. I think this truly makes this rivalry our biggest, I truly didn't buy into it even with so much that has happened, but now... man.. no doubt.
The thing is that play isn't who Byrnes is now, with Bobby, we were slinging the ball from the opening tic of the clock, so that formation was deadly with him. When Byrnes came out in the formation, Gaffney knew something was up and made a great play. Byrnes had a conservative game plan, that had them a 20-13 going into the fourth and for some reason, they got away from their identity. #7 from Byrnes was single covered must of the night, didn't have to get in a crazy formation to get that look. If Byrnes drives the ball down and scores or just runs some time off the clock and punts, that game end very differently I believe.

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

STChamp 92 wrote:
likeitRnot wrote:
Amen brother on the rival part, I would pull for Russia or North Korea before I would pull for you guys, but no one I respect more than the Indians.

BYRNES#1
Byrnes Rebels

Post by BYRNES#1 »

STChamp 92 wrote:
likeitRnot wrote:
I cant comprehend why anyone would want to go away from the past during Bentleys time at Byrnes. I dont think thats what Shaw is doing at all, if it is then hes insane. Bentley had the Byrnes program at the level that NO other high school from this state has ever seen. In a 10 year span Byrnes played for 9 State Titles winning 8 of those, in that 10 year span Byrnes couldve EASILY won 10 State Titles, some bad officiating & a couple bad breaks cost us from going 10 straight.
All of that was either under Bentley or due directly to what Bentley had in place. Anyone wanting to "Get away from the past" is IMO insane. Put all the state titles aside & just look at all the kids from Byrnes that got scholarships to play at the next level during that time, that alone is reason enough to strive to run the Byrnes program EXACTLY how Bentley did it, love him or hate him the man did right by the kids & thats what is most important, State Titles were just the fruit of all their hard work & dedication.

As for this stinging as bad as 2011 did for you guys goes.... I cant speak for all Byrnes fans but losing to Gaffney in the 3rd round at home doesnt feel good at all but there aint no way in hell this sucks as bad as having the GREATEST TEAM OF ALL TIME 14-0, rolling into Clemson about to snatch #16 State Title while beating down your most hated rival to do it. Only to have your most hated rival JUST TAKE your State Title literally from your hands & beat the very best team that Gaffney fans proclaimed as the best Gaffney team to ever be on a high school football field. NOW THAT MY FRIEND HAD TO STING!!, Still stings to this very day.

As for a new offensive identity being established goes... Im not so sure about that, I think we ran more because that gave us the best chance to win. As you know due to my work & family life I have had to step back some from Byrnes football as my time is being taken by more important things. I still love my Rebels & will do my very best to help when I can & support them in the future.
With that being said here is my opinion about our identity. The kids coming up now "may be" being groomed better for certain positions such as QB, WR, & RB on the offensive side of the ball. Back when Bentley was in charge these 3 skilled positions were relentless in their off season conditioning & the art of playing these positions. hours upon hours of film study at school & the coaches house made these players at these positions elite & the D1 offers proved that.
I have no clue at all if this is going on today under the current staff, if its not, it certainly needs to be. Again thats my opinion. :D ;)
I dont give em hell, I just tell them the truth & they think its hell!

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

BYRNES#1 wrote:
STChamp 92 wrote:
likeitRnot wrote:
I cant comprehend why anyone would want to go away from the past during Bentleys time at Byrnes. I dont think thats what Shaw is doing at all, if it is then hes insane. Bentley had the Byrnes program at the level that NO other high school from this state has ever seen. In a 10 year span Byrnes played for 9 State Titles winning 8 of those, in that 10 year span Byrnes couldve EASILY won 10 State Titles, some bad officiating & a couple bad breaks cost us from going 10 straight.
All of that was either under Bentley or due directly to what Bentley had in place. Anyone wanting to "Get away from the past" is IMO insane. Put all the state titles aside & just look at all the kids from Byrnes that got scholarships to play at the next level during that time, that alone is reason enough to strive to run the Byrnes program EXACTLY how Bentley did it, love him or hate him the man did right by the kids & thats what is most important, State Titles were just the fruit of all their hard work & dedication.

As for this stinging as bad as 2011 did for you guys goes.... I cant speak for all Byrnes fans but losing to Gaffney in the 3rd round at home doesnt feel good at all but there aint no way in hell this sucks as bad as having the GREATEST TEAM OF ALL TIME 14-0, rolling into Clemson about to snatch #16 State Title while beating down your most hated rival to do it. Only to have your most hated rival JUST TAKE your State Title literally from your hands & beat the very best team that Gaffney fans proclaimed as the best Gaffney team to ever be on a high school football field. NOW THAT MY FRIEND HAD TO STING!!, Still stings to this very day.

As for a new offensive identity being established goes... Im not so sure about that, I think we ran more because that gave us the best chance to win. As you know due to my work & family life I have had to step back some from Byrnes football as my time is being taken by more important things. I still love my Rebels & will do my very best to help when I can & support them in the future.
With that being said here is my opinion about our identity. The kids coming up now "may be" being groomed better for certain positions such as QB, WR, & RB on the offensive side of the ball. Back when Bentley was in charge these 3 skilled positions were relentless in their off season conditioning & the art of playing these positions. hours upon hours of film study at school & the coaches house made these players at these positions elite & the D1 offers proved that.
I have no clue at all if this is going on today under the current staff, if its not, it certainly needs to be. Again thats my opinion. :D ;)
We are getting close to getting back there. The program had a 3 year period, that set us back 5-6 years. I believe we have the kids in the program now and coming in that can get us back to more wide open attack. The coaching staff will learn and get better, no doubt. Also, I noticed and this will not make CitySlicker too happy, but Byrnes has a 9th grader by the last name Dingle that dressed during the playoffs. He is the son of the Mike Dingle. May have found our next RB, if he can tote it like pops, except in the 86 State Title game.

BYRNES#1
Byrnes Rebels

Post by BYRNES#1 »

ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:
STChamp 92 wrote:
likeitRnot wrote:

We are getting close to getting back there. The program had a 3 year period, that set us back 5-6 years. I believe we have the kids in the program now and coming in that can get us back to more wide open attack. The coaching staff will learn and get better, no doubt. Also, I noticed and this will not make CitySlicker too happy, but Byrnes has a 9th grader by the last name Dingle that dressed during the playoffs. He is the son of the Mike Dingle. May have found our next RB, if he can tote it like pops, except in the 86 State Title game.
LOL!! Thats BIG shoes to fill, lets hope so.
As for our program, I have no doubt we are heading in the right direction, its night & day. Its imperative that those skill players get that extra push, attention, responsibility, & opportunity to be special/elite. We have always had the athletes to compete with the best of the best, it truly comes down to the dedication of the head coach & the staff he surrounds himself with.
Ive seen what happens when a coaching staff eats, sleeps, & breaths Byrnes football. Im willing to bet thats exactly what goes on down at Dutch Fork too. ;) :D
I dont give em hell, I just tell them the truth & they think its hell!

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

BYRNES#1 wrote:
ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:
STChamp 92 wrote:
likeitRnot wrote:

LOL!! Thats BIG shoes to fill, lets hope so.
As for our program, I have no doubt we are heading in the right direction, its night & day. Its imperative that those skill players get that extra push, attention, responsibility, & opportunity to be special/elite. We have always had the athletes to compete with the best of the best, it truly comes down to the dedication of the head coach & the staff he surrounds himself with.
Ive seen what happens when a coaching staff eats, sleeps, & breaths Byrnes football. Im willing to bet thats exactly what goes on down at Dutch Fork too. ;) :D
Shaw is investing time in the little league program again, that dropped off a few years. If he can tweak a few things, that will get us over the hump, look out.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

ByrnesRebels05 wrote: Amen brother on the rival part, I would pull for Russia or North Korea before I would pull for you guys, but no one I respect more than the Indians.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson