Districts that have suspended summer workouts

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
AngryMax
No Team Affiliation

Districts that have suspended summer workouts

Post by AngryMax »

Could be indefinitely or until a certain date. Who has done it so far?

Greenville County-until July 20th
Beaufort County-July 20th
Fort Mill-indefinitely
Richland 2
Union County
Georgetown
Orangeburg
Clarendon 2
Sumter County
Lex-Rich 5
Pickens County
Chesterfield County
Newberry County
Horry County
Ware Shoals District 51
Lexington 2
Dorchester 2
Charleston County
Darlington County

Who else? There’s gotta be more.

Please let me know when districts start back so I can remove them.
Last edited by AngryMax on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Re: Districts that have suspended summer workouts

Post by CITYSLICKER »

berkeley county going strong, use pluff mud and lake water to cure.
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

BossBaby69
No Team Affiliation

Post by BossBaby69 »

I had only heard about Greenville and Union shutting down. Were these other counties shut down or were they never allowed to begin? I know a few counties were waiting until July 1st to begin. It will interesting to monitor what will happen next regardless.

Damefan
No Team Affiliation

Post by Damefan »

District 5 of Lexington and Richland County have just suspended practices with no return date stated.

icoachfb53
No Team Affiliation

Post by icoachfb53 »

Pickens County

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

Post by FootballFan4343 »

This will be the issue that ultimately forces the SCHSL to make a call on starting the football season on time.
With multiple "big population" districts postponing workouts until sometime in July (some as late as the end of July), it is going to be tough to decide when to start the season.
On one hand, you will have had some districts that have been practicing since mid June on the other, some of that have been only working for a few weeks (assuming a Aug 21st first game start).
So, here is the decision, do you start on time, allowing some districts only 3 weeks or practice, or do you push back a month and continue to give the teams that have been working out since mid June more practice time?
My gut tells me the SCHSL will keep it business as usual and let the districts to decide on individual games, then by the time region rolls around, teams would have had enough practices or workouts.

BossBaby69
No Team Affiliation

Post by BossBaby69 »

Chesterfield county is on pause until after July 4th to monitor cases.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

I hope i am wrong but i got a sinking feeling
that by Nov. our country is going to be in
complete confusion and turmoil with sick
people everywhere and protest,looting and
killing like we have never seen.

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

Post by FootballFan4343 »

96fanatic wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:50 pm
I hope i am wrong but i got a sinking feeling
that by Nov. our country is going to be in
complete confusion and turmoil with sick
people everywhere and protest,looting and
killing like we have never seen.
I am sure this will begin another debate on the topic, but your scenario is unlikely. By this "spike" happening during the summer months, we are able to handle this relatively well. What isn't being talked about is the mortality numbers continuing to plunge. Just 3 weeks ago, South Carolina was at 3.7% death rate of confirmed cases. After today, that number had dropped below 2%, and that using JUST confirmed cases. If we go off the CDC's belief that we have really had 10 times that amount of confirmed cases, then our death rate is really .02%, or along the lines of a strong seasonal flu year (in terms of mortality rate).
With younger people getting it and recovering, herd immunity is now forming. And for those that claim "we don't know if herd immunity works", well here is the news, then NEITHER WILL A VACCINE. A vaccine is nothing more than forced herd immunity. So, if herd immunity doesn't work, then COVID will never ever ever ever go away.
As for hospital usage, we are currently, as of today at 69% statewide bed usage. Just to compare, normally hospitals operate at about 85-90% capacity, so we have plenty of room. Furthermore, we actually have over 14,000 beds available (even though it lists only about 11,000), that is because we currently are not staffing 3,000 beds across the state due to the LOW numbers of beds in use. As of today, we only have 6800 beds being used of a possible 14,000 around the state (11,000 of which are staffed). We have room in the hospital folks because younger people are finally getting the sickness. This is HOW respiratory viruses work, they infect the young and healthy, who build the immunity (meanwhile we protect the most vulnerable).
By no means am I encouraging infection parties, but the fact that the death rate is plunging is evidence of what many have thought the whole time, COVID is not as "potent of a killer" as we once thought. However, it is much more contagious than we thought so, we have to make sure we do our part by social distancing and wearing masks.

bigdog2003
Newberry Bulldogs

Post by bigdog2003 »

Newberry County schools have suspended summer workouts. They announced it on June 21.