Rumors are flying already

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
MrFootball68
Greenwood Eagles

Rumors are flying already

Post by MrFootball68 »

Rumor is the HSL is now going to vote in Sept to drop back to 6 games. That is IF they even allow a season.

I know many get mad when I bash Jerome and the fellers, but that cannot and will not make a decision and stay with it.

Many years ago my pops used to tell me to crap or get off the pot. I wish someone would tell the HSL this!

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

Re: Rumors are flying already

Post by FootballFan4343 »

MrFootball68 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:38 pm
Rumor is the HSL is now going to vote in Sept to drop back to 6 games. That is IF they even allow a season.

I know many get mad when I bash Jerome and the fellers, but that cannot and will not make a decision and stay with it.

Many years ago my pops used to tell me to crap or get off the pot. I wish someone would tell the HSL this!
These rumors will continue until practice actually begins. At some point, we are going to either have to actually practice or just punt on the season altogether. From listening to yesterday's meeting, it sounds like there is significant doubt from Jerome and staff that things will be any better in the spring. In fact, he noted that fall might be the best window we have, and in reality, there is some truth to that. If schools can open and teams practice without widespread cases, then this might be the best time since we don't know what the future holds. I would be curious as to what "number" they are looking for to deem it safe to practice. What is the number of cases that the aim is for? What is the percent positive? This has to be part of their discussion.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

As of today, Beaufort County is up 15.4% in total cases from 1 week ago. We are also up 30% in number of deaths. Ray Charles can see that those are not numbers that are conducive to full contact sporting events. Looking at what happened in Mississippi and Georgia on their respective first days of school, I can't fathom anyone making the decision to allow the season to start. The potential liability is far too great.

The Beaufort County Board Of Education has decided that ALL schools here will start via Remote Learning. That does not mean that we won't have Football, but it sure does bring that question into focus. Watching what is happening in Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach, my gut tells me that pulling the plug is going to be the most sensible decision, and the safest. I don't like it, but that is how I see it.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

I'll come in on the other side and say we will have football. It's to the point now where people will either assume the risk or not

just like I have to go into Walmart, Food Lion, or the hardware store and assume the risk. It will be the same with high school sports. If not I can stay home

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

Onion Rings wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:36 pm
I'll come in on the other side and say we will have football. It's to the point now where people will either assume the risk or not

just like I have to go into Walmart, Food Lion, or the hardware store and assume the risk. It will be the same with high school sports. If not I can stay home
I really do hope that you are right. I hope that we have a season and have no covid-19 disaster coming from it. Really.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

BossBaby69
No Team Affiliation

Post by BossBaby69 »

Onion Rings wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:36 pm

I just don’t see how it can happen. Some coaches and trainers will get very sick. Some who are very high risk may ultimately... They unfortunately cannot opt out without losing their jobs. It sucks, but to me it looks like the NFL is the only hope for football in the fall.

BossBaby69
No Team Affiliation

Post by BossBaby69 »

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

Jerome, and his folks don't want to make a firm decision. They are waiting, praying, that a higher authority will tell them to shut it down. Or they will punt the decision to the districts. If one is elderly, or has a compromised medical condition, stay home. But it is past time for everyone to quit cowering in the basement. Especially with a virus that has little effect on teenagers. For coaches that might feel vulnerable, they have to make that decision, that would be understood. And for a lot of schools, if they are going to limit fans in the stands, it might not matter anyway. Many need the gate to not only pay for football but other sports that don't draw paying fans.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

The NCAA and it's member Presidents have been made aware of a study out of Germany showing that a full 60% of those having had Covid-19, are experiencing symptoms of Myocarditis. An athlete having such symptoms must rest and recuperate for between 3 and 6 months before returning to rigorous physical activities. This study is what is driving the direction of their actions. Stay tuned.......the best is yet to come.