Woodruff vs J.L. Mann, 9/2/2022

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Wolverine_Legend
Woodruff Wolverines

Woodruff vs J.L. Mann, 9/2/2022

Post by Wolverine_Legend »

Woodruff has started the season 2-0 and will finally return to the friendly confines of Varner Stadium this week for their home opener against the J.L. Mann Patriots.

I initially did not read much into this game. Mann is typically not very good. However, I have been forced to reconsider that notion during the season's first two weeks. Mann smoked Eastside 56-14 and then held on to beat a much-improved Riverside program last night 14-7. From what I gather Mann has a very solid and poised QB and a plethora of great athletes at receiver including son of local legend Toby Cates. Defensively the Patriots look to be solid as well, and they have a linebacker/defensive end combo in Jacob Watt and Dakari Bennett that is pretty good. I don't think the Patriots will be a pushover at all.

Woodruff, meanwhile, will be tested after a rout over Fountain Inn. The defense continued to be lights out on Friday, holding Fountain Inn to only 47 positive offensive yards, which mostly came on their final drive of the night against the second and third string. The passing game was clicking much better and the run game churned out 157 yards on 16 carries using a running back by committee approach.

I am looking forward to this game. Woodruff and J.L. Mann have surprisingly never played one another so this is a first for both programs. I think it is a very competitive game but these Wolverines have an edge I haven't seen in a while.

Woodruff 31
J.L. Mann 21
And on the eighth day, God created the Woodruff Wolverines

likeitRnot
Byrnes Rebels

Re: Woodruff vs J.L. Mann, 9/2/2022

Post by likeitRnot »

This is not the JL. Mann of past years! The are loaded with talent !
Mann is my dark horse this year and Friday night will be a statement game for them!
Mann 35
woodruff 17

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Two respected posters making me feel better about Mann being on my top ten.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wolverine_Legend
Woodruff Wolverines

likeitRnot wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:39 pm
This is not the JL. Mann of past years! The are loaded with talent !
Mann is my dark horse this year and Friday night will be a statement game for them!
Mann 35
woodruff 17
Well heck, I guess little ol Woodruff may as well sit this one out and not even play.

I'm not saying Mann isn't a good team but the level of respect they are getting is pretty staggering for a program that hasn't even made the playoffs since 2011.

Oh well. Like we used to say back in the day, WIN ANYWAY 8-)

bigdog2003
Newberry Bulldogs

Post by bigdog2003 »

I might have to make a trip up to Varner sometime this season. Been a while since I've been there.

As far as the game goes, Mann might be playing better, but until they show it against somebody without side in their name, I'll take the Wolverines.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

I think the question is are they irrelevant? If losing to woodruff is the only qualifier then that’s convenient.

I’ll have this on my scorestream if anyone is tracking it
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wolverine_Legend
Woodruff Wolverines

bigdog2003 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:43 pm
I might have to make a trip up to Varner sometime this season. Been a while since I've been there.

As far as the game goes, Mann might be playing better, but until they show it against somebody without side in their name, I'll take the Wolverines.
Come on up! I get two free tickets to give to anyone I want for being on the chain crew. If you come up then one of them is yours. We play three of our next four at home. Got B-HP on 9/9 and Broome on 9/23 at home.
Last edited by Wolverine_Legend on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolverine_Legend
Woodruff Wolverines

DeCav wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:51 pm
I think the question is are they irrelevant? If losing to woodruff is the only qualifier then that’s convenient.

I’ll have this on my scorestream if anyone is tracking it
If we win this game I will enjoy bumping my irrelevant wins post along with the Doodles prediction.

bigdog2003
Newberry Bulldogs

Post by bigdog2003 »

Wolverine_Legend wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:14 pm
bigdog2003 wrote:

Come on up! I get two free tickets to give to anyone I want for being on the chain crew. If you come up then one of them is yours. We play three of our next four at home. Got B-HP on 9/9 and Broome on 9/23 at home.
I'll have to check the Bulldog schedule and see what I can do. Kind of have a committment for any home games we have.

Wolverine_Legend
Woodruff Wolverines

bigdog2003 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:54 pm
Wolverine_Legend wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:14 pm
bigdog2003 wrote:

I'll have to check the Bulldog schedule and see what I can do. Kind of have a committment for any home games we have.
Cross referencing our schedules it looks like we have three home games in which Newberry is on the road. Definitely would love to have you up for a game! Good luck to the Bulldogs on Friday. I hope you win so I can talk smack to my Red Devil wife :lol: