Horry County

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Horry County

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

New charter school set to change Horry County’s high school sports landscape

Pinnacle Charter School Management Group, the company that runs Oceanside, Gray and Legion Collegiate Academy, is months away from opening its fourth installment. Those in charge believe it will be Oceanside 2.0, shaped in the image of one of the most successful athletic programs the state has witnessed in a generation.

Everyone will know the new charter, the one eventually parked off S.C. 90 on the north end of the Carolina Forest attendance zone, as Atlantic Collegiate Academy.
https://www.myhorrynews.com/news/educat ... FMLD3OwnhQ
Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions

Maniac
Rock Hill Bearcats

Re: Horry County

Post by Maniac »

Right in my neck of the woods.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

Follow the "Legion" model. Don't schedule them, let them play all their non-region games in NC.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Even if you try to freeze them out, there’s enough of these type schools now that they’ll just schedule each other.

I also got to wonder from a So Flo perspective, why did they schedule them and do you feel about that?

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

what if the charter schools had to be their own division regardless of geography.

that would be expensive but interesting. let them beat up on themselves all year and then take on one of us.

It's not that much different from being on the old region II 4A
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

Ddub14 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:26 pm
Even if you try to freeze them out, there’s enough of these type schools now that they’ll just schedule each other.

I also got to wonder from a So Flo perspective, why did they schedule them and do you feel about that?
I don't know why we scheduled them. I think our coaches wanted a challenging non-region schedule so we'll be ready to run the 4A-6 gauntlet. Their choices may have been limited, considering the count of home/away games and travel considerations. All of our non-region opponents are more than an hour away. (@Goose Creek, Oceanside, @O-W, Carolina Forest, South Pointe)

I don't like the "Athletic Magnet" model. Being allowed to recruit across lines clearly gives them an advantage. But that's also true in other areas. The Arts magnet schools will have an advantage in band competitions, Wilson HS hosts the district IB program, those kids have dominated the Academic Challenge competitions in our region for years.

I started this year with 4 games circled on our schedule: Goose Creek, Oceanside, South Pointe and West Florence. Two down, two to go. :)

Blister
No Team Affiliation

Post by Blister »

This is just a bad situation. Well, past time for the SCHSL to put these schools, and the known recruiting private schools like Southside Christian into their own classification. But as usual with Jerome and his minions, the SCHSL doesn't react until it has to. That would require some thought, and maybe a little work. But I don't understand it. I have heard coach after coach, and AD after AD complain about this. But yet the SCHSL supposedly serves at the pleasure of the.member schools. Yet nothing gets done. I agree with the above post. Treat this new institution like the schools around Rock Hill have done. Shun them and refuse to schedule them. Word was that this crowd had plans to open up locations in Greenville and Spartanburg, but the pop up of Covid put a hold on those plans..Greenville doesn't care about football for the most part, so it wouldn't matter there, but I can imagine this wouldn't go over so we'll in Spartanburg.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Unfortunately the cats out of the bag. If the SCHSL places them in a region then the dye is cast. That’s 4-5 games right there. Then even if all the public schools do shun them they can play non region games against like minded school and schools from other states. Then the playoffs come . Whose going to be the school to say . No we’re not playing that game on principle and make a stink about it . Highly doubtful. The only way to stop this now is for all the member schools to demand that approval of new schools must get a majority vote to be allowed in.

Tigerific
Conway Tigers

Post by Tigerific »

In the article Jerome is quoted as his hands are tied because by a law passed in 1996 allows schools like this to be apart of the SCHSL. If so we all need to contact our state representatives and asked for the law to be changed.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Except these are the type schools all these politicians send their kids to.