Horry County

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Re: Horry County

Post by DeCav »

How do you remove Jerome?
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tigerific
Conway Tigers

Post by Tigerific »

Seven of the nine county coaches said they will not schedule them and the other two didn’t respond. There’s no 2A schools in the county so they will never be forced to play Atlantic collegiate.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

It doesn’t matter that their 2a once they open they start recruiting the best players from all the surrounding schools and before you know it all the best players start going there.
Oceanside just went toe to toe with south Florence at their field and couldve won the game. Gray went toe to toe with Gaffney at the reservation last year and was about 3 yds short of sending it to OT.

Tigerific
Conway Tigers

Post by Tigerific »

Yeah I know that’s how it works but they will be hard pressed to steal enough in the county to make football a state championship contender. The other sports, it’s possible. All I know is this should be a wake up call for Conway to get the football program straightened out or it will hurt even more.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

I don’t know if that’s true. They will prey on the weaker schools first then on the schools that haven’t had a lot of success. If they get a foothold they will succeed.
If OC Gray etc can do it in such a short span how do you think that area will be immune to it. They will grab from Carolina forest , Conway, MB , NMB , Socastee, Dillon, Loris, The Florence schools etc etc.
All they have to do is get 35-45 dudes that can play from those schools. Show some success and their off and running. Now their a winning program and that becomes more attractive to a larger group of people.
The only way to stop it really is to be like the old days when you had to sit out a year if you transferred from a different school. That might keep a lot of people from wanting to sacrifice a year of playing time..

Tiger84
Conway Tigers

Post by Tiger84 »

I have a question! Mainly because I really don't understand the way these charter schools work. I get the jest of it, they are publicly funded, therefore no tuition. I also get they aren't restricted by attendance lines, therefore they accept/recruit kids from anywhere. My question is this......
What stops or prevents them from paying kids to play? From my understanding "charter" schools are eligible to apply for grants and other private funding that public school aren't privy to. It may not be possible, I don't know, but if they attract a few big money families/businesses or grants......what is to stop them from offering a "pay to play" deal to a few 'dudes" (as someone else said) to get this thing up and running?