Region II AAAAA

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Region II AAAAA

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Looking at the season to date, things are shaping up about as expected for some teams, and not as expected for one team in particular. So far, Spartanburg is looking like the team to beat in my mind while Gaffney is staggering out of the gate..

We all know those games don't really matter as far as playoffs are concerned; however, it is what we have so that is what we based our ideas of the teams on at this point.

Spartanburg has BY FAR played the more difficult schedule and while the Week Zero loss was bigger than expected, that showing against Dutch Fork was impressive.

Dorman and Byrnes have played teams that they should have beaten and they have taken care of themselves (albeit in two different ways).

Gaffney has shocked me with the effort so far; but again, these games do not matter except for pride.

Then next few weeks could show us a Boiling Springs team that is likely looking at 1-2, we may learn a little more about Dorman as their schedule should be a bit tougher, Byrnes should continue for a couple of weeks with the same old same old and then a trip to Florence that test the Rebels, Spartanburg has another very tough Georgia opponent and then two easy wins, while Gaffney could go 0-3 during the next three weeks! When was the last time Gaffney lost 3 games in a row?

Then we get to the MEAT. Let's look at the Region Schedule:

Week One of Region Play
Byrnes AT Spartanburg

For the Rebels, win this one and folks may start believing that the Rebels are back! Lose and a home playoff game is going to be tough!

A Viking win and the inner city rivalry game in the Final Week will be HUGE.... well it's always HUGE, but this time it could be HUGE!

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Re: Region II AAAAA

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:43 pm
Looking at the season to date, things are shaping up about as expected for some teams, and not as expected for one team in particular. So far, Spartanburg is looking like the team to beat in my mind while Gaffney is staggering out of the gate..

We all know those games don't really matter as far as playoffs are concerned; however, it is what we have so that is what we based our ideas of the teams on at this point.

Spartanburg has BY FAR played the more difficult schedule and while the Week Zero loss was bigger than expected, that showing against Dutch Fork was impressive.

Dorman and Byrnes have played teams that they should have beaten and they have taken care of themselves (albeit in two different ways).

Gaffney has shocked me with the effort so far; but again, these games do not matter except for pride.

Then next few weeks could show us a Boiling Springs team that is likely looking at 1-2, we may learn a little more about Dorman as their schedule should be a bit tougher, Byrnes should continue for a couple of weeks with the same old same old and then a trip to Florence that test the Rebels, Spartanburg has another very tough Georgia opponent and then two easy wins, while Gaffney could go 0-3 during the next three weeks! When was the last time Gaffney lost 3 games in a row?

Then we get to the MEAT. Let's look at the Region Schedule:

Week One of Region Play
Byrnes AT Spartanburg

For the Rebels, win this one and folks may start believing that the Rebels are back! Lose and a home playoff game is going to be tough!

A Viking win and the inner city rivalry game in the Final Week will be HUGE.... well it's always HUGE, but this time it could be HUGE!
Byrnes and Dorman haven’t done anything and they just need to be quiet. They aren’t deserving of any praise. At least, that’s what Spartanburg’s play by play guy yelled for 30 mins last night on AM1400. Reminded me of my 2 year old crying for a snack.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

I would say the two biggest things Byrnes has to work on is the DL up front. I was shocked at the lack of size there.
The other thing is their special teams especially in the kicking game. Again sample size of one game .
They have plenty of playmakers but Greenville did get pressure on Byrnes when they really brought the heat.
Just my observation.

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

Ddub14 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:18 pm
I would say the two biggest things Byrnes has to work on is the DL up front. I was shocked at the lack of size there.
The other thing is their special teams especially in the kicking game. Again sample size of one game .
They have plenty of playmakers but Greenville did get pressure on Byrnes when they really brought the heat.
Just my observation.
When the times come they will use some bigger guys on Dline and the oline held up fine with no sacks. Greenville has as much talent as anyone just lack some coaching and desire it seemed last night.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Greenville has talent but are one of the worst disciplined I’ve seen in awhile. And they don’t understand fundamental tackling, they want to try to knockout hit every time instead of wrapping up. Their play calling is atrocious as well. They would run up the middle get 7-8 yards do it again get 5-6 yards then they call a play rolling their inexperienced qb out trying to throw 50 yards down the field . Made no sense to me but played into Byrnes advantage on the outside.

Also as average as Byrnes special teams were last night
Greenville’s was laughable with the exception of their punter.

That’s a solid win for Byrnes need to clean up some of the penalties as well.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:00 pm
Byrnes and Dorman haven’t done anything and they just need to be quiet. They aren’t deserving of any praise. At least, that’s what Spartanburg’s play by play guy yelled for 30 mins last night on AM1400. Reminded me of my 2 year old crying for a snack.
You just really insulted your 2 year old...

RC is paid to be a Viking homer and he is doing a good job of being a homer. Perfect example of the "everyone gets a trophy" generation in my mind.

However, as much as I agree with you that he sounds like a homer, the new guy for us is not my favorite either. But, of the two, I guess ours is better.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

ByrnesRebels05
Byrnes Rebels

Post by ByrnesRebels05 »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:03 pm
ByrnesRebels05 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:00 pm
You just really insulted your 2 year old...

RC is paid to be a Viking homer and he is doing a good job of being a homer. Perfect example of the "everyone gets a trophy" generation in my mind.

However, as much as I agree with you that he sounds like a homer, the new guy for us is not my favorite either. But, of the two, I guess ours is better.
I don’t mind a homer during the broadcast of your team, that understandable, this was on the late show that supposed to support the area teams. And yes I probably did insult my two year old. I believe he thought this year was gonna be all about SHS and Gaffney in the upstate, but he’s starting to realize the Cavs and Rebs could be a force come region. It wasn’t necessarily what he said, if was how he said.