Abbeville at Westside

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Re: Abbeville at Westside

Post by bringthewood »

RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:45 pm
I will say this, you can see the “true grit” in a program like Abbeville.

That game could have got ugly in second half but impressed how the Panther kept trying to claw their way back into the game

Do not care whether is 2A, 3A or 4A or 4A. ANYTIME you win over a legendary program like Abbeville that is HUGE

I think one thing that really prepared WHS for Abbeville was the prior week against TLH, they run the same type offense. When the wing offense is run like those 2 teams does not matter what size school, IT WORKS.
They don't even come close to running the same offensive system.

both run heavy ... yes

same system... not at even close

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

bringthewood wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:04 pm
RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:45 pm
I will say this, you can see the “true grit” in a program like Abbeville.

That game could have got ugly in second half but impressed how the Panther kept trying to claw their way back into the game

Do not care whether is 2A, 3A or 4A or 4A. ANYTIME you win over a legendary program like Abbeville that is HUGE

I think one thing that really prepared WHS for Abbeville was the prior week against TLH, they run the same type offense. When the wing offense is run like those 2 teams does not matter what size school, IT WORKS.
They don't even come close to running the same offensive system.

both run heavy ... yes

same system... not at even close
Yes your right!

RamFan
Westside Rams

Post by RamFan »

Saw both games, same type offense to me on both.

Wing T or variations of it., just from my perspective

Only thing I never understand about these types of offenses is WHY they do not throw just a tab bit more. Both TLH and Abbeville throw it pretty well and with everyone playing run it seems easy for a receiver to break free down the middle.

But I am not a coach and what works has worked well for Abbeville and TLH

*Topcat*
Abbeville Panthers

Post by *Topcat* »

RamFan wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:28 am
Saw both games, same type offense to me on both.

Wing T or variations of it., just from my perspective

Only thing I never understand about these types of offenses is WHY they do not throw just a tab bit more. Both TLH and Abbeville throw it pretty well and with everyone playing run it seems easy for a receiver to break free down the middle.

But I am not a coach and what works has worked well for Abbeville and TLH
You hit the nail on the head, Ram, and thanks for the good words about Abbeville. I was very impressed with Westside in all phases, and, I love that stadium, it's such a cool place, first time there since the 70s. To your point, I have said for years that Abbeville would benefit from just a small bit of diversity in our offense. Not talking about becoming a passing team, not at all, but, pass enough to make it a threat that an opponent must respect and not stack the box so much. Passing is a huge threat available on the football field, why not use it? We've had kids that can execute it, but, it just doesn't happen often. You have to commit to making it part of the offense, every week, no matter who you're playing, or what the score. The kids have to get comfortable with having a little passing every week. In all honesty, I'm talking about still being 75 to 80 percent running, but, allowing the pass to become a viable threat. As good as we have been, and I am very proud and thankful for our program, I believe we can be even better. For years I wanted us to abandon the wishbone, then the next variation of the A-bone we were running in 2010 and few years after, wanting us to go the shotgun and a little more of a spread rushing game. Was delighted when we changed. We have been better for it, you have to roll with the times and adjust sometimes. With these "Collegiate" schools allowed in the league, need all options available.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Although I will be told I know nothing , when I was at the Abbeville/bhp game last year I was talking to some Abbeville fans that felt the same way. If they ran from the spread with their depth and athleticism at that level they would be even tougher to handle . You might not see the injuries pile up on you them as the season goes on as well.
Not saying going all pass but put your athletes in space with the ability to create . Now they get 9-10 in the box and have to pound away. It would also give your lineman less wear as the season goes on.