Sumter 0 Oceanside 28

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Re: Sumter 0 Oceanside 28

Post by CITYSLICKER »

WHEN WE WENT TO SUMTER DURING RUNAWAY RANDY'S LAST YEAR, COACH BARNES SENT WORD TO ME, TO COME DOWN TO THE FIELD BEFORE THE GAME, HE WANTED TO MEET ME AND SAID HE HAD A FAN UP IN NC WHERE HE HAD COACHED THAT HAD 800 GAMES ATTENDED IN HIS RUN AND JUST WANTED TO MEET ME. HE SURE MADE ME FEEL GREAT FOR A MOMENT IN TIME.
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

bbrown1240
Sumter Gamecocks

Post by bbrown1240 »

Deputy wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:25 pm
People should quit playing the recruiting factories
That topic opens up a big can of worms. I have my feelings towards schools like Oceanside being 2A. However I won’t make any excuses. They beat us. But hopefully our players learned and valued the experience from playing against players of their caliber and it helps us in the playoffs.

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

bbrown1240 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:21 pm
SHS Gamecock Fan wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:43 am
bbrown1240 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:18 am
Coach Barnes will have that job as long as he wants. I feel he and his staff have done an excellent job coaching this group as I planned on us being closer to .500 at this point in the season. I trust the coaching staff, but I agree they need to take some responsibility, but I am also a realist. Players have to be disciplined and make plays. Coaches don’t hold, false start, drop passes, or fumble. When the third team center is a senior, he hasn’t played much meaningful football. A big part of the reason we look look like a JV team is because outside of the DBs, there is not much experience on the field, especially playing a bunch of sophomores. The need reps…and a humbling loss. But we shouldn’t have been shut out. I like our QB Pate Merchant. He has an arm. I would say we need at least 15 throws per game. More quick game and RPOs. We’re a power run team, but we don’t have power personnel size wise this year. We’re going to have to get more dynamic. I wish we wouldn’t look back so much and go more tempo. Just line up, run the play, and dare them to stop it. As much as we look back, we might as well just huddle up. Look back should be used in conjunction with tempo. Can’t help what region we’re in. We’ll see what the region has to offer.
I agree that Coach Barnes has done a good job. The talent level on this team is lower than usual for some reason. I can't ever remember a Sumter team having so many sophomores playing on varsity. I think what really is hurting the program is that we have gotten rid of the B-team. The B-Team really gave the 9th graders more playing experience and helped them get more prepared especially playing on the 5A level.
I knew we were in trouble when our top 2 running backs are sophomores. You see the potential but they don’t have that varsity breakaway speed yet. John Peeples is going to be really good and will be the feature back. Kam Fortune reminds me of Tony Dinkins-McCall from a couple years back. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him split out wide a little more. Jerius Williams is going to anchor that o-line for the next couple years. Yeah I wish the would bring the B team back. I believe the region Dutch Fork is in still has B team football. It may be a little extra travel, logistics would be a pain, but I think we could link with that region for some B team games. I remember the tail end of Coach Sorrells’ tenure was rough. Between 2010 and 2012 I think we had 8 wins combined. This is the best 8 year stretch since Tom Lewis. We’ll be fine. Kids and coaches needed that loss. We were overachieving this year in my book. Hopefully we work some things out, get healthy, and not have a letdown in region play.
Tom Lewis lol .me and his brother Gary were good friends till he moved . Found a old lady with money
And jumped right on lol. Haven't seen him since.

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

bbrown1240 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:53 pm
Deputy wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:25 pm
People should quit playing the recruiting factories
That topic opens up a big can of worms. I have my feelings towards schools like Oceanside being 2A. However I won’t make any excuses. They beat us. But hopefully our players learned and valued the experience from playing against players of their caliber and it helps us in the playoffs.
Mainly wando kids .go there with a few sprinkles .
Wando could have always been that good.

The structure helps also. Half day of school the rest for sports gives you a advantage .
Can you imagine the top 10 schools in the state having a half day every day to practice .

Come to think of it .they should be in 4 or 5 a
That's some....

The1WhoKnows
No Team Affiliation

Post by The1WhoKnows »

Sumter is in good hands. Barnes and staff are doing a great job!